1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Islamic USF player: Dispute over uniform led to dismissal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AMS, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

He doesn't read the posts, he just keeps saying the same stuff over and over, and if by any chance that he does read it, he just says because you live your life the way you choose "YOU ARE EXTREMISTS"... pls dont quote him, it makes the Ignore list quite useless.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sorry, I just have one member on ignore. I like JSC. He's a European. Liking a European today, in America, is almost an act of protest against the government. And that feels good. ;)

JSC and I don't agree about everything, but who does?

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's quite intolerant, adeelsiddiqui. Just because YOU don't want to see my posts, you want OTHERS to not quote me?
    Hmm....

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I usually dont mind him, but after some repeated insults, I decided that just for the remainder of this thread, thats thebest way to go.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

By the way, I like Deckard, too. He has that "wise older guy who has scored with a lot of chicks when he was younger" thing about him ;).

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very on target, JSC. ;)

7. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

This is why I believe in GOD, period.

Look at the discussions. One gets accused of being atheist. Another gets accused of not being a true muslim. Another says that we gonna get 72 wives yet we have no equal rights in heaven. God told one prophet who couldn't read or write a whole book. But what about the other books? Are they any less important? More important? Stupid? Smart? Was Jesus an intellect? Was Buddha a mathematician? etc, etc.

Which...again...RELIGION is for people who can't think for themselves. Like people who vote Democratic no matter how bad the candidate is and same goes for Republicans who vote for their candidate no matter how awful he is. Like cultish or something.

Can we all agree there IS a God? I mean, look around the world. The creation of nature. The births of humans. Animals. Flies. Ocean. Rivers. The moon. Stars. Planets. The universe. The coexistance of everything we know. That takes some serious juice that I think is named GOD.

Books? Prophets? Who did this and that? Who went this way and that? Who parted what ocean again? Since when does God need people to do work for him? He is God, right? He can do it Him/Herself, right?

There is this Jehovahs Witness who works next to my secretary and I asked her one day if she was dying and needed a liver transplant, would she take it. She says NO. Why? Because her RELIGION forbade them to do that type of body intrusion or something like that. I said to her what would she do if she is gonna die. She says PRAY. God will fix it.

Religion brainwashes people. Period. Its evil. Causes trouble even on the BBS.

Let me ask you these questions. If one day we find life on another planet, God will give them their own religion? And if He/She did, would their book be as accurate as the Q'uran? Or as liberally translated as the Holy Bible? Would their religion be the RIGHT religion or would it be considered evil? Twisted? Would their Messiah be the only way to get to heaven? Or would a Warlord become their prophet after being "touched" by God? Maybe their Prophet would be born from a Virgin mother and grow up to be fat like Buddha? If they are all atheist, would they all then be condemned to hell DESPITE the fact that they saved Earth from a global warming disaster by giving them the technology to change water into clean fuel?

How far can we take this, guys and gals? Who is right and who is wrong? Which religion will get me to heaven via the expressway? Despite the fact that I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, cheat on my wife, beat her or my kids, love them, cherish them, respect them, respect my parents, give to charity, volunteer in my community and live and let live. Can I get to heaven faster? Via which route, please.

O wait! I do support the right of a woman to have an abortion and Gays Rights also. Damn. There goes that ticket to heaven right there.

8. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Alum, can I use that entire post as my signature? :D

9. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Mr. Meowgi, I would be honored. :)

You know, I talked to my stepdad last night who is Muslim. I told him the discussion we are having. This is what he told me:

One day, a man decided to see Gods true power. He builds a raft and goes into the ocean. After being adrift for hours, he sees nothing in sight for miles and miles and miles. So he starts to pray. He prays "God, if you are truly the one true power and love me like you say, I ask you to show me your love and mercy and save me from this. I am your humble servant and need you to save me."

A couple of hours go by and a yacht appears. They ask the man floating on the raft if he needed any help. The man replied "I don't need help from you or any human. The Lord is going to save me." The yacht leaves. A few hours later, a cargo ship sees him and asks if he wanted help. He gave them the same reply. The cargo ship calls in and an hour later, a helicopter shows up and offers to help. He tells them the same thing. Eventually, the man dies of dehydration.

When he gets to heaven, he meets the Lord and asks Him/Her "Lord, you said that if I was a humble servant who obeyed your commands and lived like you want all of us to live, you would NEVER abandoned me. I was in the middle of the ocean and you left me to die. Why my Lord? God replied "I sent you a yacht, a cargo ship, and a helicopter."

Moral of the story, boys and girls? Yes, religion is a beautiful thing if you into that. But common sense is God given also. Don't let RELIGION cloud your thinking. God did give us all a brain.

:)

10. Sane

Sane Member

I will explain it to you. But what I'm trying to explain is that you're worried about trivial things.

Do you REALLY think anyone will go to heaven and say "Damn, well there are no equal rights here. I'm not happy."

Do you see what I'm saying?

A woman's reward is the same as a man's: each individual person will get what satisfies THEM the most.

11. Sane

Sane Member

First of all, his sig means "In the name of Allah".

Now for your other two questions:

Jihad is when all Muslims must get together in a humongous war and kill people who have opressed them and who have acted on wanting to remove Islam and Muslims from the world. Basically, if one day some country decides they're just going to bomb all Muslims, then all the Muslims should join and fight them together. This war will, apparently, happen with swords.

So, if one day, some group of people ( a country for example) denounces Islam, and actually acts upon riding the world of it, then I will sacrifice myself in a war against them to protect Islam.

What some fools don't understand is that Jihad doesn't happen every other week, and Jihad is a joint effort. What "terrorist" organizations are doing is not Jihad, although they routinely claim it to be. There needs to be DIRE conditions before Jihad can take place, and those conditions will be enough to sway all Muslims into a joint action.

12. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Well that is just it. Religion is a raft, not the shore.

"Nirvana is the complete silencing of concepts. The notions of impermanence and nonself were offered by the Buddha as instruments of practice, not as doctrines to worship, fight or die for. "My dear friends," the Buddha said," the Dharma I offer you is only a raft to help you to cross over to the other shore." The raft is not to be held onto as an object of worship. It is an instrument for crossing over to the shore of well-being. If you are caught in the Dharma, it is no longer the Dharma."
    ~Thich Nhat Hanh

We need to be careful not to interpret religious metaphors as fact. This is why a lot of modern people dismiss religion. They see religious metaphors as lies because they think they have to take them literally (and they witness those who do take them literally).

To make matters worse, people kill and are killed because they cling too tightly to their own metaphorical beliefs and ideologies. These wars are fought over metaphors that essentially contain the same message.

13. Sane

Sane Member

You know, I would like to hear some views of how exactly:

1) The Qura'an describes in pollination in its verses.
    2) The Qura'an describes, in detail, the process of the creation of an embryo and hence a human being.

Tell me, where did Muhammad get this info from?

Especially SJC. I'd love to hear our views. If you are interested in the source, don't worry about it. The second I get home I'll put it up, why don't you reply anyway? If someone else can put it up before I get home, that would be great too.

14. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I would like to hear how this is described in the Qura'an too. Should be a hoot, on the level of how dinosaurs are described in the Bible.

15. Sane

Sane Member

Quick explanation

Better and more detailed explanation

How do you think Jesus knew the world was round? It was in the Bible. Tell me what you think about this as well.

16. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Thats a good point Kagy brings up that I ask all people who try to sell me their respective best sellers to me.

Where is the info on the dinosaurs existence? Or the Ice Age? Or the continents being all together at one time and gradually seperating?

Another explanation is why cavemen use to look so bulky and hunched back...built low to the grown...and how we look like we look today without it being evolution related? I mean...can God create evolution or is that just so far out of the realm of religion that its not even considered?

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

As a Christian, I've never once claimed the Bible to be a science book. It does not give the "hows" of creation. It's not its purpose. I see nothing in there about dinosaurs...or any other extinct creature, frankly. I do not think the idea that God used evolution in some form or the other is impossible.

18. Summer Song Giver

Went to a pentecostal HS my JR and SR years, we wore pants (usually the thin warm ups type material) during games and teams playing in our gym were expected to do the same.

I could understand both sides of this argument, she should be able to wear pants and maybe somesort of undershirt but the head dress is ridiculous. Also I see the teams side of it, uniform means just that.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what? this thread is about uniforms??? seriously?? :D

20. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

http://www.whyislam.org/877/Modern_Science/Quran_Science.asp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.