1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Islamic USF player: Dispute over uniform led to dismissal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AMS, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sorry, Sane, I didn't really understand your last two posts. It was a serious question, basically, is there something in the Koran that says if you do certain things, you have a bunch of virgins waiting up there for you?

And does it also describe what you are then allowed to do with those virgins?

2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

The specific Hadith in which the number of virgins is specified is Hadith Al-Tirmidhi in the Book of Sunah (volume IV, chapters on The Features of Paradise as described by the Messenger of Allah, chapter 21, About the Smallest Reward for the People of Paradise. The same hadith is also quoted by Ibn Kathir in his Koranic commentary (Tafsir) of Surah Al-Rahman:

"The Prophet Muhammad was heard saying: 'The smallest reward for the people of paradise is an abode where there are 80,000 servants and 72 wives, over which stands a dome decorated with pearls, aquamarine, and ruby, as wide as the distance from Al-Jabiyah [a Damascus suburb] to Sana'a [Yemen]

----------

The Wives of the People of Paradise

(i) The Wife Of The Believer In This World Will Be His Wife In The Hereafter If She Is Righteous

"Gardens of 'Adn, which they shall enter, and [also] those who act righteously from among their fathers, and their wives and their offspring..." [13:23]

"They and their wives will be in pleasant shade, reclining on thrones." [36:56]

"Enter Paradise, you and your wives, in happiness" [43:70]

(ii) A Woman [Who Was Married More Than Once] Will Be With The Last of Her Husbands

In Taareekh ar-Raqqah, Abu 'Ali al-Hurani reported from Maymun ibn Mahran that "Mu'aawiyah ibn Abi Sufyan (ra) proposed to Umm ad-Darda' but she refused to marry him, saying, "I heard Abud-Dardaa' say that the Messenger of Allaah (saw) said, "A woman will be with the last of her husbands."" The men in its isnaad are trustworthy apart from al-'Abbaas ibn Saalih, whose biography is unknown. Abul-Shaykh reported it in at-Taareek with a saheeh isnaad only quoting the marfoo' version of it. at Tabaraani reported it with a da'eef isnaad in al-Mu'jam al-Awsat but taking both isnaads into account strengthens it. The marfoo' version is saheeh, and it also has two corroborating reports that are mawqoof.

The first of these was reported by Ibn 'Asaakir from 'Ikrimah:

"Asmaa bint Abi Bakr was married to az-Zubayr ibn al-'Awwaam who was harsh towards her. She came to her father and complained to him, and he said, "O my daughter, have patience, for if a woman has a righteous husband, and he dies and she does not remarry after his death, they will be reunited in Paradise." [The men of its isnaad are thiqaat [trustworthy] but is it mursaal because 'Ikrimah never met Abu Bakr; he only heard it from Asmaa]

The second report was narrated by al-Bayhaqee in as-Sunan, where he says that Hudhayfah said to his wife, "If you want to be my wife in Paradise, do not remarry after I die, for the woman in Paradise will be with the last of her husbands on earth."

For this reason, Allaah forbade the wives of the Prophet (saw) to remarry after his death, because they will be his wives in the Hereafter.

(iii) al-Hoor al-'Eeyn

Allaah (swt) will marry the believers in Paradise to beautiful women who were not their wives in this world, as Allaah (swt) says:

"So [it will be] and We shall marry them to Houris with wide lovely eyes." [44:54]

al-Hoor is the plural of Hooraa', which is a woman, the white parts of her eyes intensely white, and the black is intensely black. al-'Eeyn is the plural fo 'Aynaa, which is the woman whose eyes are wide.

The Qur'aan describes al-Hoor al-'Eeyn as being firm and full breasted:

"Verily, for al-Muttaqoon, there will be a success; gardens and grapeyards and young full-breasted [mature] maidens of equal age." [78:31-33]

Al-Hoor al-'Eeyn are creatures that Allaah (swt) has made especially for Paradise, and has made them virgins:

"Verily, We have created [their companions] of special creation, and made them virgin-pure [and undefiled], beloved [by nature], equal in age." [56:35-37]

The fact that they are virgins means that no-one has ever married them before:

"...whom no man or jinn has touched before them." [55:56]

This refutes the idea that the wives that Allaah (swt) will create for them in Paradise will be their wives from this life, made young again after old age had overtaken them. That idea if correct in that Allaah (swt) will admit the believing women to Paradise with their youth restored but they are not al-Hoor al-'Eeyn whom Allaah created in Paradise.

The Qur'an also speaks of the beauty of the women of al-Jannah:

"And [there will be] Houris with wide lovely eyes [as wives for the pious], Like unto preserved pearls." [56:22-23]

Maknoon ["preserved"] means hidden or protected, something whose colour is not changed by exposure to sunlight or by being tampered with. Elsewhere, Allaah likens them to rubies and coral, two beautiful precious stones:

"In them will be [maidens] restraining their glances, whom no man or jinn has touched before them, Then which of the favours of your Rabb will you deny? Like unto rubies and coral." [55:56-58]

al-Hoor are also described as restraining their gaze upon their husbands i.e. they restrict their gaze and don't let their eyes wander to others. Allaah (swt) has stated that they are very beautiful, and it is sufficient to know that ALlaah (swt) said:

"In them will be fair [companions] good and beautiful; then which of the favours of your Rabb will you deny? Companions restrained [as to their glances] in [goodly] pavilions" [55:70-72]

The women are not like the women of this world. They are free of al-Hayd [menstruation], an-Nifaas [post-natal bleeding], spittle, mucus, urine and stools. This is what is referred to in the aayah:

"..And they shall have therein Azwaajun Mutahharatun [purified mates]" [2:25]

The Prophet (saw) told us about the beauty of the wives of the People of Paradise. al-Bukhaari and Muslim reported from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger (saw) said, "...the marrow of whose leg-bones will be visible through the flesh because of their extreme beauty." [as-Saheeh, Kitaab al-Khalq, Baab Maa Jaa'a fi Sifaat al-Jannah, Fath al-Baari, 6/318 and Muslim in Kitaab al-Jannah wa Sifaat Na'eem ahlilhaa, Baab awwal zumrah tadkhul al-Jannah, 4/2178, no. 2834]

Look at this beauty that the Prophet (saw) described! Can you find any comparison to it in the world that you know?! :

"If one of the women of Paradise were to look at the people of this world, everything in between them would be lit up and filled with her fragrance. The veil on her head is better than this world and everything in it." [al-Bukhaari, in as-Saheeh, Kitaab al-Jihaad, Baab wa Zawwajnahum bi Hoor-'Eeyn. Fath al-Baari, 6/15]

The smallest number of wives that any one man will have in Paradise is seventy-two. It was reported that the Shaheed will have seventy two wives from amongst al-Hoor a--'Eeyn [Mishkaat al-Masaabeeh, 3/357, no. 3834, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Maajah from al-Miqdaam ibn Ma'd Yakrib]

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What does adeelsiddiqui's signature say?

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

It is the understanding of rebirth.

The wave anaolgy is fairly common. I copy and pasted that one from here http://www.guernsey.net/~moorman/ETERNITY.html, but I don't know anything about the rest of that site.

Another analogy used is that of a river:

We are like a river. When we step twice into a river, it is not the same river and yet there is continuity, the continuity of cause and effect. We can understand a river in terms of a mass of water, or in terms of one continuous flow. But if we set aside this generic name 'river' that we have given to the river, because its water is changing continuously as it flows, we find it difficult to accept the river that is now flowing as the same river it will become the next moment. In reality they are two different rivers. Strictly speaking, they are not the same rivers, though for our general understanding and interpretation we consider it as the same river.

Death is a temporary end of a temporary phenomenon.
    ~Shakyamuni Buddha

Suppose we tried to practice with a sheet of paper because a sheet of paper is what we call a thing. Let us practice together like Anathapindika, Shariputra, and Ananda, looking deeply into this sheet of paper. You may think that the sheet of paper has a birthday and will have a day of dying. We may imagine a day when the piece of paper is produced from nothing, it suddenly becomes something, a sheet of paper. Is it possible? When you look into the sheet of paper in this very moment, you don't have to go back to someday. Just look at it in the present moment. Into the true nature of the paper you see what? You see that the piece of paper is made of non-paper elements. This is a very scientific way of looking, because you don't accept anything that is not evident.

When I touch the sheet of paper, I touch the tree, the forest, because I know that deep inside there is the existence of the trees, the forest. If you return the element tree back to the forest, the sheet of paper cannot be here. Right? I also touch the sunshine. Even at midnight touching the sheet of paper, I touch sunshine. Because sunshine is one element called non-paper elements that has made up the paper. Because without sunshine, no tree can grow. So touching the tree, I touch the sunshine.

I touch the cloud. There is a cloud floating in this sheet of paper. You don't have to be a poet to see the cloud in a sheet of paper. Because without a cloud, there would be no rain and no forest can grow. So the cloud is in there. The trees are in there. The sunshine, the minerals from the earth, the earth, time, space, people, insects—everything in the cosmos seem to be existing in this sheet of paper. If you look deeply, you find that everything in the cosmos is present in this moment in the sheet of paper. If you send one of these elements back to its source, the paper would not be there. That is why it is very important to see that a sheet of paper is made of, only of, non-paper elements. Our body is like that also.

So is it possible to say that from nothing, something has come into existence? From nothing, can you have something? No. Because before we perceive it as a sheet of paper, it had been sunshine. It had been trees. It had been clouds. The paper hasn't come from nothing: Rien ne se crée. Nothing has been created. The day you believe to be the birthday of the sheet of paper is something we call a continuation day. Before that day, it had been something else, many things even, and on that day it was perceived as a sheet of paper.

The true nature of this sheet of paper, is the nature of no-birth: Rien ne se crée, rien ne se perd. Our true nature is also the nature of no-birth. Our birth certificate is misleading. It was certified that we were born on that day from such and such hospital or city. We accepted to begin to be on that day, but we know very well that we had been there in the womb of our mother long before that. From nothing, how can you become something? From no one, how can you become someone? Even before the day of your conception in your mother, you had been there. In your father, in your mother, and everywhere else, also. So if you try to go back, you cannot find a beginning of you. You have been there for a long time and everywhere.

~Thich Nhat Hanh
    http://www.plumvillage.org/teaching...1997 July 28 Overcoming the fear of death.htm

5. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

I am a muslim and I think that this is the biggest waste of time and effort. You guys are making fun of other peoples religion, but if someone were to say something bout christianity or gays all hell would break loose. Islam is about brotherhood. And that is not what i see here. Sane and Adeel, you made your point, these guys are just saying stuff to piss you off so stop wasting your time. Also Rockets03, good job of defending your religion. Nice to see someone conveniently take the side of the majority and bash their own.

6. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

Somebody lock this, im gettin sickened by both sides. Especially Rockets03, who doesnt want to correct other muslims like he could just do. If your beleif is a little differenct than ours, then just let us know and why. Instead you just want to call them idiots.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

adeelsiddiqui (so what does the signature say?!) and Sane:

What about women...so for men, 72 virgins or something wait for them, what about the women...when they go to heaven, do 72 handsome hunks wait for them or what is the promise for them?

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nice going, dude...someone voices a reasonable position and even defends his own religion when someone else mocks its holy book, and you label him a traitor just because he doesn't represent extremist positions like you and two others :rolleyes:.

9. Sane

Sane Member

I am not a hypocrite. If I believe in a whole bunch of stuff in Islam, why would I not believe this whole 72 wives thing?

It's not something you do, it's if you're a good person, then that's one of the SMALLEST rewards waiting for you in heaven.

It doesn't describe, not that I know of.

10. Sane

Sane Member

I don't think it's 72 hunks, I believe they each get what they consider the as-perfect-as-possible guy though. Basically, the guy who will wipe the floor with the guy of their dreams.

You don't get it SJC. You're trying to establish equality in God's holy kingdom? It's heaven. if you're there, you get everything. There is nothing which you want that you won't have, no matter who you are.

It's like perfection. Have you ever thought about what perfection is to you?

11. Sane

Sane Member

So what you're saying is that the source is human beings, like me and you?

12. Sane

Sane Member

I don't think it's a waste. I learn stuff from other people's viewpoints. It's much easier to explain Islam to other people when you know how the other side thinks.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Well, I don't know, maybe for the following reasons:

- 72 seems like an arbitrary number...why not 80...or 500? Maybe it was just a way for someone to describe "something really great waiting for you up there if you do this and that" and 72 was just a large number that came to the mind of whoever wrote it down for the first time?

- For many men, it is quite stressful to have one wife, they would feel like they are in hell if they had to have two, 72 would be like eternal hell or something?

- The "72 wives" thing does not address what would expect women...what about equal rights...again, maybe it was just a figurative way of saying "if you do good, something great will await you in heaven" and it is nonsense to literally believe in having 72 wives in heaven?

etc.

14. MR. MEOWGI

Sorry, I don't get your question. :confused:

15. Sane

Sane Member

These questions come mostly from you not being a Muslim:

- If God picked the number 72, maybe he knows something we don't? Or, maybe it doesn't matter what number? But the number 72 is accurate, because it says "at least 72". Point being, it's more than enough, or just enough. You won't be dissapointed.

- For a non-Islamic man, I understand. But you have to understand that a Muslim man doesn't have pre-marital sex. Did you factor that in? Aside from that, we are talking about "heavenly" wives, so to speak. I.E., the perfect wife/partner. Commitment is not an issue, we're talking eternity, and we're talking limitless wishes.

- What about equal rights? Are you freaking serious? It's heaven. The point of heaven is that it's the ultimate reward, it so happens the example given was for men and their rewards. It's just an example of one of the smallest perks of heaven.

Jeez. Equal rights? Come on SJC. Get serious. We're talking about heaven.

Do you believe in heaven?

16. Sane

Sane Member

All that stuff you're saying.... Who was the first person who came up with it? A guy, just like me and you, right?

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't understand - what's wrong with asking about equal rights? I mean, what's the "ultimate reward" offered for women in the Koran? :confused:

18. MR. MEOWGI

He who said it also said not to believe him, but to check it out for yourself. Everything I said can be observed first hand if you truly look. It is practically science.

19. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

It's interesting that God would choose someone who couldn't read or write, but who had the ability to memorize an entire book's worth of information that God didn't want changed (meaning it had to be memorized verbatim).

God sure seems to go to a lot of unnecessary trouble.

Me.

(Thus explaining the popularity of Christianity, Judaism, etc).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.