1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Islamic Presenation causes Contreversy in Houston Area Junior High

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 9, 2008.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Link

Controversy highlights pitfalls to teaching faith

By JENNIFER RADCLIFFE
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Some of the items included in the Council on American Islamic Relations' presentation:

• There are 1.2 billion Muslims in the world.

• The country with the largest Muslim population is Indonesia.

• "Islam" means peace and submission.

• The Quran is the Word of Allah.

• Allah is God for all human beings.

• All Muslims are encouraged to give 2.5 percent of their wealth to charity each year.

See the PowerPoint presentation for yourself Faced with the threat of having a hate crime reported to the FBI, the principal of Friendswood Junior High School hurriedly agreed to let the Council on American Islamic Relations make a half-hour presentation to about 875 students last month.

At the assembly, seventh- and eighth-graders learned, among other lessons, that Muslims are expected to avoid pork, dress modestly and believe "Allah is God for all human beings."

But as word of the May 22 assembly spread, outraged parents have flooded the district with calls and e-mails, saying they deserved to be notified before students were pulled out of physical education class for the presentation. The controversy, stoked by local talk radio, cost Robin Lowe her principalship.

One of the most sensitive areas in public education, the blurry line between what's allowed and what's not when it comes to religion in schools, can be tricky territory for administrators. Terrified of a misstep, some school districts end up banning Christmas decorations or discouraging students from even mentioning God on campus.

"So often, communities are really hesitant to take it on because they figure no matter where they step, how lightly they tread, they're going to catch it," said Joy Baskin, an attorney for the Texas Association of School Boards.

As in the case of the assembly on Islam, interpretations of what's acceptable vary. Recent state law says that teachers can cover religion, including the Bible, in academic courses and that students are allowed to express religious viewpoints when its relevant to the subject or assignment.

School-led prayer, however, is forbidden.

Critics of the Friendswood presentation say that by allowing two women from the Council on American Islamic Relations to discuss Muslim culture, school officials were promoting a particular religion.

"The school couldn't have an assembly to convince kids that Christianity is OK or that Judaism is OK," said Hiram Sasser, director of litigation for the Plano-based Liberty Legal Institute.

Insensitive graffiti found
    Rather than focusing on a specific religion, Friendswood could have coached students on the importance of free speech and religious tolerance, he said.

"All they need to teach kids is that freedom is OK, and toleration will follow," he said. "That's a better way to do it."

But Superintendent Trish Hanks said in a letter to parents that some officials felt the presentation was needed "in response to an incident that occurred between students at Friendswood Junior High and the perception and fear that it caused to some involved."

School officials wouldn't reveal the specifics of the incident but said in messages to parents that racially insensitive graffiti was found in a restroom and that some inappropriate comments were made.

Officials with the Council on American Islamic Relations told the principal that they were considering reporting a hate crime to the FBI, prompting Lowe to arrange the assembly, district officials said.

CAIR officials didn't return calls Friday.

Some questioned whether the response was appropriate.

"If a Christian kid today is criticized for wearing a cross, you don't remedy that by calling in Billy Graham to speak to the entire school," said Kelly Coghlan, a Houston attorney who helped write the Schoolchildren's Religious Liberties Act. "It was shooting a squirrel with an elephant gun."

Baskin, however, applauded Friendswood's response, saying she sees no legal problem with hosting the assembly.

"They stepped out and did something, I think, that is in many ways difficult and commendable," she said.

"The law is very supportive of them and that position, regardless of how we might second-guess some of the public relations aspect."

Notifying parents in advance would have been a good idea, she said. The school, however, is not legally required to do so.

The material covered at the assembly, Baskin added, is similar to items in the state curriculum.

Parents upset
    Some Friendswood parents said it's not the subject matter that bothers them. It's the fact that they weren't given a chance to opt out their children or to at least discuss the topic with their children.

"That's what parents are so upset about: the fact that we weren't notified," said Shannon Trochesset, mother of three. "Friendswood is made out to be this racist, bigoted city and it is not. ... They don't care whether you're black, white or purple — or what religion you are — as long as you keep up with your yard and take care of your kids."

Bullying, not religious persecution, is the real issue here, she said.

Kathy Miller, president of the Texas Freedom Network, said she's not sure how advocates who successfully argued in recent years to create an elective course about the Bible could speak out against this type of instruction.

"Clearly this incident and the surrounding debate illustrates how explosive the issue of religion in public schools is," she said. "What on earth could be wrong about educating students about the diverse faith traditions in our society?"

She added: "Religious freedom means nothing if it doesn't apply to everyone, not just the majority."

In fact, the Council on American Islamic Relations gave a presentation to a world geography class at Clear Brook High School in 2003 without incident.

"It is certainly not uncommon to invite guest speakers to address topics that are part of the Texas curriculum," said Elaina Polsen, spokeswoman for the Clear Creek district. "Students receive lessons to help them understand how people from various groups, including racial, ethnic, and religious groups, adapt to life in the United States and contribute to our national identity."

No comparison
    State Board of Education member David Bradley said the assembly on Islam can't be compared to teaching about the state-authorized Bible class or the geography curriculum.

"That's a fallacious argument," he said. "This wasn't history. This wasn't social studies. This was P.E. I don't remember Islam fundamentals being included in our P.E. curriculum."

Friendswood parent Kathy Rogers said she's crushed that the controversy cost a talented principal her position.

She's encouraging parents to attend Tuesday's school board meeting to express their concern about the assembly and also about the principal's reassignment.

"She's being scapegoated," Rogers said. "This has been huge, and I think they're just trying to clamp down on it and make it stop."

Friendswood should have allowed leaders of other religions to have an audience before students, she said.

"That would have been the best effort to putting the fire out," she said. "We don't all worship the same god."

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Keep religion out of school.

PERIOD !

DD

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I agree.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is teaching religion...how do you teach history or sociology without teaching religion?

5. DaDakota

Maybe in sociology class you can talk about religion in a context of here are what people of histories believed.....

Greeks, Romans, Current peoples etc......but nothing more.

And in this case, the parents should have been told.....I would want the option of deciding for my own children what I want them to learn about religion, wouldn't you?

DD

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This doesn't really compare to teaching religion in a historical sense, which I am fine with.

If Second Baptist Church went to a high school and ran a seminar in the middle of gym class that students were forced to attend where they were then preached to about Jesus Christ and his redeeming ability, there would be an uproar as well.

Nothing against Islam here, but this was out of line.

7. DaDakota

Agree 100%.........seperation of church and state is essential....

DD

8. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Shouldn't the child have all the info before anyone makes a decision?

9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I think the distinction is in the context. Religion in history is not quite the same as a informational seminar on a particular faith.

10. DaDakota

No, the parents make the decision, not the children.

That is why they are called parents and children.

There are severe swings in how Islam or any religion is viewed, and having a group come in and tell one side of things without parental consent is at best poor judgement by school officials.

It should be the parents decision what to teach their children about the mythos that is religion.

:D

DD

11. MadMax

I've been to informational seminars on Islam. They were educational. That they might prove attractive to a student is no different than if any -ism proved attractive. Right?

12. MadMax

World religions are already part of the Texas education system...they're taught in world history, including Islam, Christianity, Judaism and Buddhism. I'm not certain why this is different. Who better to explain what the religion is really about? Akin to asking a lawyer into a public school to teach business law for a day, for example.

13. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Im not asking who makes the decision, I'm just asking if everyone should have all the information from all sources.

For example, your knowledge of Islam is useless. How can the child (or you for the child) make a decision when you lack any reliable knowledge on the topic?

For example, these people aren't preaching. They're just stating what Muslims do - it's information that may be useful, so that we don't offend each other.

14. DaDakota

This was in PE class Max, and while you may not have an issue with your child being taught about a certain religion, you have to acknowledge the fact that other parents might be bothered.

This is not a case of simply talking about it in a historical context, or as part of a sociology program, this is a PE class being told about Islam by one particular sect of it.

Was it Sunni? Was it Shia? Which? Was it a moderate teaching, or radical? Was it accurate?

Parents should be able to decide on matters like this.......this is not something that was approved by the board of education in a text book and approved for teaching to the general populace.

This was a religious group coming in and giving a seminar......I no more want my child going to that than I want them going to a Jimmy Swaggert gathering in a tent and speaking in tongues on the campus football field.

Neither should be sponsored or approved by a school without parental involvement.

Parents should have been given the choice.

DD

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

School is not about expanding awareness and understanding?

People villanize the things they do not understand. Islam will be a undeniable element in the world these children will live in. How could understanding it's basic tennets be a bad thing? I don't think anyone was advocating for the religion. Some real information needs to be available to counter all the hysteria. If they don't get it at school , where will they get it?

(same goes for sex education too)

Kids can never have too much factual information because there is no end to the bull***t floating around them.

16. DaDakota

I would argue that your knowledge of Islam is useless, because you believe the ramblings of a man who said he was a prophet.

Because to me, he was just a man, nothing more.

As for the teachings, it is NOT THE PLACE OF THE SCHOOL TO MAKE THAT CHOICE FOR MY KIDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I want my kids to learn about Islam, or Christianity, or any other religion I want to see what they are learning and to guage the balance of it ...FIRST....

Because, even though you don't want to admit it, there are lots of people who think religion is made up by man to control the ignorant masses, and that Islam or any other religion is no different than the Summarian mythos...

All I am saying regarding the school is they over stepped their boundaries and whomever made the decision to approve the seminar should be reprimanded...and probably fired....

DD

17. DaDakota

Right, so the parents should be able to see the presentation FIRST.....before it is approved.......to guage the factualness of it.....

DD

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You do not think that a particular religious group presenting their own view of their own religion was advocating it?

I wonder, if this was a group of Mormons presenting their basic tenets, how would the reactions change?

19. DaDakota

Exactemundo !!!!

This is not about one religion over another, but rather that the parents were not consulted FIRST......

Do we now need to give equal time to every religion?

DD

20. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Max: I'm torn on it. I don't personally have any issue with the presentation, or even the odd circumstances. But I can understand how other parents would think differently. Again - I'd venture that it's the context. A powerpoint slide that says "In 717 Muslim invaders led by Maslama failed to take Constantinople during a two year siege" can really only be taken in one way - historically. A slide that says "Muslim's believe that Allah is god and Muhammed is his prophet" can have multiple connotations. To me, it's just information. Some parents might find it a shade too close to "preaching".