1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ISIS Forces Last Iraqi Christians to Flee Mosul

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 20, 2014.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Isn't the answer pretty simple? It isn't just the extent of the crime that sparks outrage, but also the people who aren't even ready to admit that it is a crime. The latter can be even more infuriating to victims and their supporters.

They are "up in arms" over Gaza because many Americans support the campaign there. They are trying to raise awareness over what is happening to change minds.

They are "silent" over what ISIS is doing, not because its any less a crime, but because no one supports their actions. No convincing is needed.

If the situations were at all comparable, where a large group of people here were actually supporting the actions of ISIS, I expect they'd show more outrage in that scenario as well.

#61 durvasa, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I don't think what you are writing there is true. At all. The real answer is a different one.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

OK. I modified my post a bit to clarify the position, but maybe you still would disagree.

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not sure what's dumber, pretending that a mythical man swallowed by a fish as part of the insane scheming of an unhinged magic deity is actually buried in a hole in the ground. ...or taking the trouble of blowing it up.

1 person likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That is "policing" to you?

I was talking about moderates trying to reign in extremists. The supposedly moderate majority doesn't seem to have too much success with that, to say the least.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I do disagree.

The truth is that they don't care, because they have an "us vs. them" mentality, where Israel is always the evil one, no matter what is objectively going on.

And if Muslims do unspeakably horrible things, like ISIS or Boko Haram, they take the easy way out by saying "these people aren't really Muslims, because Muslims don't do that kind of stuff". So they never feel responsible for bad things done in the name of Islam (if they don't agree with them in the first place), but their perception of Muslims and Islam being perfect, being a victim, if anything, but never a perpetrator, never gets tainted - just like Israel (and the USA) is the perfect scapegoat for any own failures.

8. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Argument from silence.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=257123

You haven't criticized that! I guess that means you support the KKK and a yearly purge of African Americans!

:rolleyes:

9. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I see the point you are trying to make, but my argument is less from silence than from your actual posts. They seem quite fanatical.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hey, as you know, I'm not a religious guy, but vast numbers of people are. These are historical sites with a great deal of significance for both historical and religious reasons (I lean on caring about the historical reasons). This incident reminds me of the destruction of ancient monuments in Afghanistan that I'm sure you remember. More to the point, it highlights, in a way those who watch Disney flicks can relate to, just how barbaric the ISIS lunatics are.

12. Nook

Nook Member

The hope I have is that moderate Muslims in the Middle East rise up against the extremists, that quite honestly oppress them, and retake Islam and their lands.

As long as the extremists wield so much power, it is only going to get progressively worse and eventually lead to a complete "them" versus "us" mentality which isn't advantageous to anyone.

13. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Weird that only you seem to believe that, whereas dozens of posters have called you out on your incessant fanaticism on bashing all things related to Islam.

:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I'm certainly not the only one to believe that.

15. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Even so, the amount of people who would agree with your sentiment is far outweighed by those who consider your own views to be extremist in nature (not to mention coupled with bigotry and ignorance).

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Your perception is incorrect.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I honestly don't see what is morally reprehensible about bashing an ideology especially one that is inherently violent.

He is speaking some truth about the silence of Muslims in general of the atrocities that ISIS is commiting. Again from my past experiences of attending masjid every week when I was a young teen I would recall all the times our imams would ask us "to pray for our Muslim brothers and sisters in (insert any region where Muslims are suffering)" but not once do I recall any imams ever telling us pray for a group of non Muslims who expereinced a natural disaster or war. At least in my experience with Islam I was taught implicitly to only sympathize with Muslims. Islam is inherently a "us vs them" ideology. I'm sorry if someone feels offended by my post but I am only sharing my.personal experience. Hey, maybe other Muslims have totally different experiences than mine and their Masjid promotes sympathy towards non Muslims.

#77 fchowd0311, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  18. fchowd0311

It's time for me to call out some posters here. His views are no where near extremisit. He disagrees with the ideology that is promoted through Islam. He understands quite well that judging a person by just what faith they practice is not sufficient enough by itself to judge character or their sense of morality. He stated many times that he understands that majority of those who claim to be Muslim are benign and do not literally follow the Quran.

It seems as if someone has a distaste for a specific religious ideology they are labeled "extremist" rather quickly.

1 person likes this.
  19. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

The part I made bold is just plainly false. Numerous times he has called myself and other posters terrorists, even though we've all criticized the killing of innocent people. He is plain disingenuous and full of hyperbole. He thinks if you are anti-Israeli or anti-Zionist you are automatically antisemitic. He's a joke.

20. fchowd0311

Why would anyone be anti-Iaraeli? Why would anyone be anti-(an entire national group of people). I don't know ATW'S views on Zionism but I doubt he agrees that a certain race of individuals have a God given right to a piece of real estate. I don't recall ATW as being religious.