1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ish Smith and Rafer Alston to play in D-league

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sinobball, Feb 1, 2012.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]Just acquired LA D-Fenders point guard Ish Smith is expected to be called up by the Orlando Magic on Thursday, source tells Y! Sports[/rquoter]

2. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

As for Rafer, I always thought you couldn't be sent to the D-League after your first two or three years in the league? Or is that an NBA2k thing?

3. sinobball

sinobball Member

Mike James, Jamaal Tinsley played in the D-league this season before signing with NBA teams. So did Ricky Davis, but instead of getting a call-up he was cut.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Rafer didn't get sent to the D-league by an NBA team. He just signed with a D-league team to play for money. Pretty sad if you ask me.

5. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Ish needs to learn skills besides pushing the ball. He needs to learn to run and execute plays, creating for others, successful penetration from half court sets. How to handle the NBA shot clock.

Wouldn't hurt to hone his offensive game either, so he can add mid + long range game.

All I have seen is do is get the ball and run like Speedy Gonzalez. He has good handles and ball control. Decent vision. But he needs more to earn consistent minutes season after season.

I hope he adds more skills and puts it all together. I really like him and I would really like to see him as an established everyday NBA name.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am surprised that Rafer is playing anywhere; I was never so glad to see a
    Rocket player go. An NBA player should be able to shoot the ball, good grief.

7. sinobball

sinobball Member

The Los Angeles D-Fenders have acquired guard Rafer Alston, it was announced today. The acquisition comes one day after Ishmael Smith signed with the Orlando Magic to become the D-Fenders’ fourth NBA Call-Up of the season and the seventh Call-Up in franchise history.

“We’re excited to add a player with as much experience as Rafer to the D-Fenders’ backcourt and believe he will undoubtedly help us continue towards our ultimate goal of an NBA Development League Championship,” D-Fenders Head Coach Eric Musselman said.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/#ixzz1lN48fSmz

8. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

This guy makes Jordan Hill look like an All-Star.. we need him

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Haha. Rafer must be broke already

10. sinobball

sinobball Member

Rafer is averaging 1.5ppg (33%FG) 1.5apg in the D-league. His teammate Gerald Green is averaging 19.1ppg (48%FG, 46%3P) 4.6r.

11. SPF35

SPF35 Member

Anyone can, but will he? Lowry was a talented defensive minded pg who was off the bench for most temas he played with, he did the work, improved his skill, and this year he is blowing up. So you take Rondo, smith and other talented guards, they all can, but for some reason or another they don't, its not that easy apparently

12. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

I would take both over Jameer Nelson.

13. SK34

SK34 Member

Ish Smith was one of my favorite Rocket Player. The reason being is he come in night in and night out playing his heart out. I wish he can find a place to play. The Lakers should pick him up, who desperately need a point guard. The only problem is his shots, which he can get better with the help of the BLack MAmba.