1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Isaiah Canaan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Harden2Dwight, Jan 17, 2015.

1. basketballholic

LOL, I couldn't believe we signed Ish Smith in the first place.

I still say there was a deal in place and Morey signed Smith because he had a roster clearing trade going.

And I'm still speculating that same trade might indeed happen at the deadline in a somewhat different form.

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

This.

How the hell is playing in the D-League any better for an injured ankle than playing in NBA games? I guess the Rockets are going to try to spin this like the D-League is Canaan's version of Kobe's bone broth. Why not just say the old, standby stuff like "he needs to get his rhythm back" or "needs to get a better feel for a full speed game before coming back to the Rockets"?

3. NotChandlerParsons

I think he's having trouble with McHale's confidence for whatever reason.

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I could see McHale having some sort of weird "old school" beef with Canaan's game.

I hope Morey upgrades the PG spot at the deadline. A better two way player would be awesome.

If a player at the PG spot is not attainable though, I hope Morey has enough confidence in Canaan that he does something more drastic at the deadline.

I want to see him clear out the entire PG rotation in a similar way to how he traded away the entire PF rotation a few season's ago.

Bev combined with some other assets could be used to pick up a good back-up center for us. Or a good back-up SG. Or other assets (like draft picks) that could be later used to do something in the summer.

I really think Canaan would (and has already) excel as a starter. I also really think getting rid of Beverley would be addition by subtraction similar to how getting rid of Rafer (who actually had the capability to run a team unlike Bev) for Aaron Brooks was the right move for the Rockets back in 09. Canaan is a dynamic player like Brooks was and that paid huge dividends in the playoffs.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yeah, watching some of these plays, it doesn't look like he's having confidence issues. Maybe he got over them really quickly....

The only other possible answer is, he was being saved for the trade deadline, to avoid another injury, but then they decided, or were asked, to let him loose to prove the ankle injury didn't leave a negative effect. Since they can't just give him priority with Houston, they sent him to RGV.

6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Before everyone ascribes some sort of beef with McHale, Canaan *did* have a pretty severe ankle issue. He was starting to get minutes and produce prior to the injury. I think his NBDL stint is exactly what he needed to get back on track. He could be a nice boost.

Anybody else smile as Canaan roasted David Stockton over and over again?

7. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

He only got mins when Beverly wasn't playing due to injury. Don't get it twisted. When Bev suited up Canaan was glued to the bench. McFail doing McFail things:eek:

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have come here to vent.

This guy is the best PG on the roster by a mile. He gives us the extra shooting we need, the playmaker we need and he makes us DANGEROUS. He can play with Stephen Curry and Chris Paul. He can make those guys work on defense. If you don't guard him, he will torch you. He has a great attitude, he is a winner, he is one thousand times better than Patrick.

I honestly don't think that Dragic, nor Lawson would be a huge upgrade to what Canaan can bring right now.

PLEASE clear out the PGs on this roster.

1 person likes this.
  9. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

If Canaan isn't getting 10-15ms a game by the playoffs I'm gonna be pissed

10. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

I agree that the D League may be good for him, but it is not a good sign with his history with McHale. What Jet lacks in ability he more than makes up for it with experience and I guess McHale values that more than Canaan's ability to play make.

11. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I totally agree, he was about to blow up before the ankle. Part of me thinks Morey and Mchale know this and Beverly is on his way out soon. We don't want Canaan to be on anybody's wishlist at the trade deadline so we are keeping him under the radar. I DO think Capella is extremely available, but that is for a different thread.

12. vator

vator Contributing Member

Ankle breaker? Down goes Frazier!

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/OjxWHvg0XXQ/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Would like to see him back now please.

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'd be surprised if he got those kinds of minutes come playoff time. If McHale doesn't even trust him with 10-15 minutes during the regular season, why would he put him in there when the games really matter? Shoot, Canaan is usually the last guy off the bench even when the Rockets are up 20 points and it's garbage time.

15. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

We better not ****ing screw up by giving away Cannan and Capella. These 2 are our future. Let these guys play Mcfail!

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I've said it before: Canaan's situation may be similar to what Aaron Brooks went through in 2010-11 after an injury. Brooks returned but was not 100% and was largely ineffective when playing-- the injury robbed him of quickness and even the ability to hit shots consistently, basically the two main things that made him any good to start with.

Canaan may be medically cleared to go, but this doesn't mean that he is showing much in games or even in practice.

17. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

After going off in this video vs Reno. He is clearly back in shape and looks better than before. Although it is the D-league.

18. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Those 3 points will look great when he rejoins the Rox.

19. kemah

kemah Member

Canaan was sucking after he came back from injury and it looks like a good move to send him down to recover. It will be nice to see him come back soon and play like he was before the injury. He isn't a playmaker though as someone else said. He is a good scorer and his defense was starting to become adequate.

20. dustinb14

dustinb14 Member

Maybe question decision making at times but I believe he is a great playmaker. Is beating your man off the dribble and passing to the pnr or someone open for 3 when the wing man comes to help not being a playmaker?