1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Isaiah Canaan is a good player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by baubo, Nov 9, 2014.

1. baubo

baubo Member

Should deserve at least one thread about him IMO. Watching him play, I just feel he looks solid. I won't try to compare him to any player since comparisons since the players I kind of think his future as would probably get dismissed. But I think overall, 6th man off the bench is quite possible.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Underrated like Mike Conley jr?.... j/k

3. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Offensively he has been absolute quality. I love that he's one of those players that have no fear from any moment. He's confident, seemingly brash in the right way and fast enough to be a factor on defense. I like him quite a bit.

4. baubo

baubo Member

I like that he's confident but not reckless. He rarely puts up a shot that I felt is a bad one. Also better at creating shots than I expected. I'm quite surprised at this since he was a 2nd round pick in one of the worst drafts in NBA history.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He just plays very smart fumdamental. Gives ball to other person (besides harden), sets pick, moves man out of his way, makes the extra pass and doesnt do anything beyond his scope of practice.

1 person likes this.
  6. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Morey wasn't kidding when he said he's a good defender, holding to Tony Parker to only 4 points was impressive. Does it seem like he's holding back his itchy trigger finger a little though? Assuming he can make more than 40% of his threes off the catch, I say he should have the green light to bomb those even when there's 20 seconds on the clock. For whatever it is worth, studies have shown that threes have a higher success rate earlier on the clock.

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I feel he should've been the one taking the shots to end the game tonight and not James.

He had the touch and you could see he was hesitant and giving the ball off the Harden because he knows the hierarchy out on the court.

I would've liked to see Harden tell him that as well.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I admit I was wrong about him in preseason. Court vision will always be something he needs to work on, and I doubt he'll ever be league average at it. But his talents on offense are undeniable, and defensively his body suggests that he has the potential to become very good also. This isn't some Aaron Brooks waterbug type. Maybe even more than Ariza, Canaan will be the one to make us say, "What was the name of that other guy? I already forgot!"

9. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

He is very confident right now. Looked liked the only competent ball handler on the floor at times last night, even when Harden was in too.

I was pretty skeptical about him during preseason but he has proven me wrong. I'm very happy he seems to be growing in front of our eyes.

Short but strong point guard with a smooth three point stroke and the ability to drive and finish. He is like a sturdier Aaron Brooks or even a hybrid of Brooks and Lowry.

If he can continue his growth and keep up his consistency, I can see him being the starting point guard one day. But for now, being a sparkplug off the bench is the right role for him.

10. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

He was a second round pick with first round talent.

Like in the case of Nick Johnson, Canaan slipped because of his height and the fact he stayed in college for four years. But in terms of talent and the ability to shoot the ball, he was a steal in the 2nd round.

11. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Canaan is not bad. The d-league really seems to save a lot of basketball careers that otherwise would be in jeopardy.

12. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

my thoughts yesterday exactly. he's better than parsons. more valuable, plays good D, great 3, can create, get to the hole. i think he'll be the starter one day.

13. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I didn't think he would be NBA-ready this quickly. He has a good percentage on his 3s, not quite the chucker I thought he would be. He defended Parker and Curry fairly well, Curry until his explosion at end of game there. He makes few mistakes. So far, so good.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He should have gotten more minutes in the second half of previous season when Lin was in a terrible funk and we kept wasting minutes on him.

15. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

What would be a good comparison? I was thinking a more athletic Aaron Brooks, but Aaron Brooks was not a good defender.

16. Salvy

Salvy Member

Bobby Jackson.....

[​IMG]

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

He's basically a shorter, but better version of LerBon.

1 person likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Canaan is amazing, based on his college profile I always he would be an good player in the NBA but considering how lost he looked last year I didn't think he would this good this soon. Considering how this is really only his first year I runnign the ball I think he will be ridiculously good once he gets some experience and even more work done on his game. He actually reminds me of Lowry a lot.

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again, I see Dana Barros reincarnate here with Canaan.

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Yep, I said the exact same thing last season.