1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Ty Lawson a top 10 point guard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nimo, Jul 22, 2015.

?

Is Ty Lawson a top 10 point guard?

1. Yes

65.8%
  2. No

34.2%
  1. tdo

tdo Member

Thank you!!!! I can't believe people are seriously putting Rose over Lawson. This is not 2011. Rose has not shown anything in the last 4 years to even consider him near the top 10 or even the top 20.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Ha! It wouldn't be much fun if it wasn't subjective.

3. tdo

tdo Member

Also, I think I would add Jrue Holiday to this list. He has only played in 74 games the last 2 years, and hasn't been great when he has played. 15 ppg on 44% shooting last season, and averaged 6.9 asts to 2.3 turnovers. He is a decent defender, but nothing special. He has never had an effective fg% over 50%, whereas Ty has had 5 seasons. I don't know, seems like a stretch to put Jrue above Ty especially considering the durability issues.

4. fattz

fattz Member

How is better Charles Barkley or Horace Grant / Dennis Rodman ?

It is about fit.

Lawson defense will be better, too --> he will not be expected to carry the team on offence.

Much like Howard played better in the play offs --> played TEAM ball --> less isolation, more pick & roll, beast on defence, etc... I hope Lawson finds his niche accepts it and excels.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Wow 70%?

I think Lawson is top 15, barely (which is still a great considering how crazy deep the PG position is in the nba).

Curry
    Westbrook
    Paul
    Wall
    Irving
    Lillard
    Conley
    Lowry
    Bledsoe
    Dragic

Are 10 players I would rather have then Lawson, on top of that Teague, Parker, Knight Rose are arguably better.

Now every year is different and I could easily see Lawson jumping to top 7 if he plays really well this next season, but we will see.

6. Clown Baby

Clown Baby Member

What this team needed was a 2nd ball-handler and creator, Lawson might be a top 5 ball-handler and creator in this league among PGs.

Where Lawson loses ground against the other PGs on his tier is his mediocre efficiency as a scorer and his mediocre defensive ability. But we can make up for his D because we have Dwight in the paint and Bev on the bench to replace him, and his efficiency should rise playing next to James.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

IMO, a lot of those point guards on that list are so similar in value and effectiveness for one skill or another its really hard to say this one is really better or that one is better.

Dragic, Lowry and Lawson are a great example.

Lowry has been the best 3pt shooter among the 3 for the last several seasons. Dragic is an elite finisher around the rim and but not as consistent of a 3pt shooter as Lowry. Both are way above average as a scoring option and good but not great as a distributer. I think both are also above average on defense with Lowry getting the edge.

Lawson is by for the superior ball distributor among the 3. He is a better finisher at the rim than Lowry and a more consistent 3pt shooter than Dragic. Overall I think Lawson is the better offensive option than either Dragic or Lowry because his ability to run and offense and distribute the ball is elite. Lawson's defense is not as good as either Lowry or Dragic though.

So which one is better? I don't know. They are all really really good and any of them will help the Rockets a ton. But since the Rockets have Lawson I would prefer to think about the passing ability and his ability to get the ball to players in the post on the break or the half court which is something the Rockets have had trouble with for many years. Just the fact that we have one of these guys to pair with Harden, Howard and the rest of the team without having to give up anything of value is just remarkable IMO.

So rank Lawson will you will. It doesn't matter because so many of those point guards are so close in value to each other that it really didn't matter which one the Rockets landed.

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

This question was asked in the Dish, and it's funny that now all of a sudden he's become this amazing PG. He's good, better than average, top 20, arguably top 15. But not top 10.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Now that he is a rocket he is. When he leaves people will call him an over paid scrub. I think you can make a case for him. He is a lot better than bev.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

My opinion -

1. Curry
    2. Westbrook
    3. CP3
    4. Wall
    5. Irving
    6. Lillard
    7. Dragic
    8. Parker
    9. Conley
    10. Lawson
    11. Lowry
    12. Teague
    13. Bledsoe
    14. Rose
    15. Hill

I think Lawson, Lowry, Teague is debatable, but regardless, he's right there and IMO his true PG skills are what elevates him above Lowry, Teague, and even Rose.

You could also easily put Harden in this list too at #2 (or #1 even). I'm very interested to see what happens to this team, and especially Harden now that he gets to move over into more of a scoring role than just a point guard role assuming Lawson and Harden mesh well, and they can play together.

12. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Bev was the 2nd worst starting PG in the nba behind Mario Chalmers.

13. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Who are the 10 PGs you would put over him?

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What makes Wall better than Ty Lawson? They have similar numbers for their career with most advanced stats in Ty's favor and Ty Lawson won 57 games in the west as the best player on the team.

15. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I think crash5179 is correct in that some near the bottom 10 are really hard to properly gauge. Lowry, Bledsoe, Dragic, Lawson, Teague, Parker, Rose...I mean, I would not be able to confidently say one of them is clearly better than the other.

Arguably top 10 PG is a very good way to describe Lawson. I think he's DEFINITELY top 15 PG...

16. Ryris

Ryris Member

If he can average 13 and 8, and most importantly cut turnovers I think with the rockets could easily be top 10 as long as he's not too big of a liability defense.

17. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I agree except I would've put Bledsoe higher.

18. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

damn too many homers here now, lawson is clearly worse than all of the guys op mentioned

19. Mr Chuck Norris

Lawson was Ana was always better tha Dragic and Lowry. People are scared to be called homers but Lawson is a top 10 PG. and honestly I don't think it's close. 16 and 10 on a trash Denver team he didn't want to play for.

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lol you really believe all those players are better than Lawson. You put Dragic or Lowry on Denver in place of Lawson right now and Denver is most likely the 2nd or 3rd worst team in the league.