1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Trevor Ariza the new Shandon Anderson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pass 1st shoot 2nd, Oct 18, 2009.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I tend to agree. He reminds me of Gasol when he played for Memphis. When he moved to LA, all of the sudden he was "a top PF" :rolleyes:

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Acknowledged the point you made. In truth, my comment was more about the structure of that proposed trade if the rules even allow it. Not about the quality of player Bosh is, or the loss potential to the Rockets.

I could be mistaken, please correct me if I'm wrong. I always forget the trade rules every year lol.... Whether its Michael Jordan or Brian Cook..you can only take in as many players as the roster space allows.

OR if thats NOT the case and you can trade for more players than space allows - the Raptors would keep 1 player (Bosh's roster spot) + the draft pick, and waive 5 incoming players cuz their roster is maxed out. Or the Raptors of course can add more of their own players in the trade to open up their roster (Bosh + a couple minimal pay scrubs)....Even if it worked I dont think the Raptors would go through the trouble. But if it COULD work like proposed...YES I'd actually probably do that trade.

3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I think I'm going to find it easier to support and like Ariza than I
    did Shandon.

Just because all we had to associate Anderson with was the freakin Jazz...at least TA has played with multiple teams on his way to Houston.

4. kellume

kellume Member

Anderson was a terrible scorer...

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Yep, just another role player scrub that fans will defend because he's a Rocket until he is traded for garbage or released.

Then you will here nothing but what a waste of time and money he was.

Ariza will probably end up being worse than Anderson because (I think) Ariza was signed to a bigger and longer contract.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Are you serious or being sarcastic?

7. 523744

523744 Member

You know what, Anderson didn't too badly when he was here. In his first season he averaged 13.5 points, 3 assists, and 5 rebounds. Thats not bad, though it could be inflated because that teams was all run and gun and moochie couldve averaged 20 points if given minutes. Anderson was also only paid $4.2 million in his stint with the rockets..

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/andersh01.html

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Serious.

As it's often repeated fans overvalue their team's players. You look at a journeyman scrub like Ariza and you start saying things like well he's a good defender or he's young or he fits in our uptempo style.

A few years from now when he's averaged like 7 points a game shooting less than 30% from 3 he'll be dumped like Anderson.

Then we'll all be able to say well I guess Morey can't win them all.

I'm actually expecting less from Ariza than we got from Anderson.

9. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

I don't know where people are getting that Shandon was some scrub. He was a pretty effective player.

I also remember all those times as a Jazz when he'd kill us off the bench. Then again, he was one of the top bench players in the league for Utah.

10. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Ugh... Shandon. Anybody remember that terrible spin move he had where he'd lose the ball like 70% of the time? And he kept complaining that Cat and Steve wouldn't get him the ball in the post...

Naw, if I had to compare Ariza to anyone, it would be that half season we had of James Posey. He was still pretty athletic then, played great D, found his 3 pt stroke, and was catching alley oops that Steve threw him from half court. Man, that team was fun to watch.

Steve
    Cat
    Posey
    Eddie
    Yao

A lot of potential went by the wayside with that squad.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

And you know this with how much certainty? This is equally as bad as making 1st Team Defense projections.

Thanks for the reminder. I knew he was a decent slasher and willing defender. I knew he was a shaky shooter, could live with that, thats just Rockets not doing their homework. Was trying to remember there was ooooone thing he did that was upsetting and it was that spin move.

Walt Williams did everything Shandon Anderson did. Shandon Anderson was already signed though...In the end, Shandon Anderson was a Jazzhole posing in Rocket's red.

James Posey's the best comparison. It was his contract year and he was forcing offense trying to create like Ariza is. Though he did it to respectable results.

12. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

You all complaining like we just got Matt Hapring.......he hasn't even played a regular season game with us and I don't think we will see his best games until Yao or T-mac comeback (or some other superstar).

Screw that spin move by Shandon........as long as Ariza doesn't develop that play he will be >>>>Shandon

13. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

14. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

man at least bill won two rings when he was healthy. :mad: :mad: :( :(

15. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

shandon anderson was pretty much a scrub when he went to the rockets and knicks hands down. the jazz were his only good years in the nba.

16. cdastros

cdastros Member

I think he is the next Robert Horry.

17. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Trevor hasn't been playing the greatest but your memory must be slipping if you are trying to compare him to shandon anderson.

18. verse

verse Contributing Member

No he wasn't. Top bench players get nominated for 6th MOTY. Top bench players push the starter for their spot, especially so if the starter is not a star, which Russell was not. What Shandn was happens a lot. He's a guy that succeeded in a very limited, defined role, and had greater success against specific teams, namely teams with small guards that he could post up.

Once he came here, on the heels of a bloated CD contract, he was exposed. His #s mean nothing when u consider that the opposition frequently gameplanned for him to beat us in the halfcourt set. It means even less when you factor how often he was set ablaze by his counterpart. I've never seen someone hoist so many perimeter shots that had no chance of going in only to receive carte blanche mulligans from his fans. He was absolutely horrible.

19. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Funny how people react to a few preseason games. This thread would have been more interesting if it had come after Ariza was signed but before the first preseason game. Fans have the shortest memories -- always making dire pronouncements based on what a player did in his last game. (The sky is falling!) Maybe he will be the next Shandon Anderson, or maybe it'll just take him a while to get his legs under him as a Rocket. Maybe it'll take a month, maybe two or three.

20. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Absolutely horrible? Um, no.

He was an EXTREMELY valuable player for those Jazz teams that went to the finals. A 6-6 wing who could score in the paint, create and attack the rim. He gave lots of teams fits.

The contract is not his fault. He did produce while with the Rockets and was a competent third wheel to Cat and Francis. He was athletic, a willing defender and did a good job getting out and running the floor.

As a Knick and Heat toward the end of his career, he tallied off big time. But as a Jazz and Rocket, he was pretty productive, especially as a Jazz.

I'm not saying the guy was a stud, but to say he was absolutely horrible is completely wrong.