1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the year Stone finally trades up in the draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Jun 18, 2023.

?

Will the Rockets trade up?

1. Yes, to get Scoot Henderson.

12 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Yes, to lock up their preference between Brandon Miller/Amen Thompson.

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. No, they'll stay put at #4.

48 vote(s)
    61.5%
  4. No, they'll trade back or trade the #4 pick away for a player.

15 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

There's been buzz about Stone trying to trade up every year, but he hasn't pulled it off yet. It's been suspiciously quiet so far with trade-up rumors this year, and they've been very vocal about liking their options at #4--almost too vocal. But maybe they're just being realistic for a change and trying to set fan expectations.

Four days to go--get your predictions in now.

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

While it would be awesome to trade up to get Scoot, I think the price is more than we have in the bank. And because of that, I think we trade down.

amaru, burlesk and #4 IceCreamMan like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

4. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Do you count Sengun? I guess he wasn’t a trade “up,” but that was a pretty big move to trade into the first using future firsts.

topfive, Deckard, Bo6 and 4 others like this.
  6. OremLK

OremLK Member

I meant from our own top pick, but yes, you're right :D

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

They need to but nope

8. #4 IceCreamMan

Besides Wenby I don’t see anyone worth to trade up 1 or 2 spots for and have to give up the farm for because I’m sure Hornets and Blazers would want One of our young core past lottery FRP” s (Green, Bari, or Sengun) plus 2-3 more future FRP”s and maybe even swaps so no!

Remember we still owe OKC picks and swaps so to me it’s a hard pass to trade up 1 or 2 spots because unfortunately our team is not a playoff team just yet so any future FRP”s we may give up may very well be future lottery picks other team will inherit especially if unprotected.

9. #4 IceCreamMan

Besides Wenby I don’t see anyone worth to trade up 1 or 2 spots for and have to give up the farm for because I’m sure Hornets and Blazers would want One of our young core past lottery FRP” s (Green, Bari, or Sengun) plus 2-3 more future FRP”s and maybe even swaps so no!

Remember we still owe OKC picks and swaps so to me it’s a hard pass to trade up 1 or 2 spots because unfortunately our team is not a playoff team just yet so any future FRP”s we may give up may very well be future lottery picks other team will inherit especially if unprotected.

10. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

This draft is simple. This is the stand pat draft. There is no one in this draft outside Wembley to go above and beyond for and he is simply not available.

You would only trade up for Scot if the offer was like 4, 20, and FR swap in like 2026 unprotected or a swap in 2024 top 5 protected. Nothing more than that.

Since that will not happen you take what is there at 4 and 20 or package those picks in a solid vet deal.

burlesk and Shark44 like this.
  11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Scoot is the only logical guy to move up for. More likely to trade back I suspect.

amaru likes this.
  12. maj21

maj21 Member

Idk what people see in Scoot. His highlights looks good, but I’m not impressed when watching full games. I think he’s gonna be a disappointment

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Wembley & Scott

Sounds like a British law firm

Or that gun company

#13 OremLK, Jun 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2023
  14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I need to see a trade where we ship out some guys. Hopefully the draft is a catalyst for that, but there’s no evidence that Stone can make a deal to improve the roster and create more minutes for our developing core alongside veterans that know how to play basketball. This can’t all just get done through free agency or the draft. We badly need a consolidation trade. I want to see a trade before or on draft night, and certainly way before free agency. I’d love to trade up from 20 and add another piece because it’s a good draft through 16, but not without sending out several players.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Almost all draft picks are speculation about who they can become, not what they already are. Scoot has an NBA ready body, very good court vision and is very adept at getting to the rim. He needs to improve his shot. Every other player in this draft, including Wemby will struggle in their rookie year. I’ll leave it to the FO to determine who to get at 4. I would only trade up if the price was not to onerous.

OremLK likes this.
  16. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Why not trade our pick this year for a first rounder next year (since we don’t have one)?

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Next year's draft is very weak (and we also already have Brooklyn's pick which may be in the lottery)

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

No, they'll stay put. If anything, I want them to trade out of the draft with #20. I wanted that last year as well with our late picks and was disappointed it didn't happen.

amaru, Aruba77 and YOLO like this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I want to pair 20 and a player or even 2 to move up in the draft or for a reasonably good and affordable vet.

MrButtocks and Aruba77 like this.
  20. javal_lon

javal_lon Member