1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the end for the Cowboys? = D

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pete Chilcutt, Dec 14, 2009.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

to be fair to Jerry (difficult, i know), when the RW trade was made, the wide receiver situation in dallas looked a lot different than it does today. a year ago, TO was not the same as in 2007, Austin had not stepped up, and Crayton looked solid, if unspectacular. the team, and Romo, needed a new #1, and they were unlikely to find one in the draft. so, the trade made some sense.

now however, RW and MA really play the same position, although Miles can play inside as well. he's good there, but he was spectacular when RW was out, and Crayton fills the slot position well. I think they're just now figuring out how to play together as a unit, and JG is beginning to understand which number to call when (plus, he needs to find touches for Witten, and Bennett, the latter of whom has had an off year).

if i had my druthers, i'd rather have austin + crayton, plus the two #1s, but hindsight is 20/20.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I think the Cowboys need to lay off the crack pipe. I seriously don't think they even have a remote chance of winning this game. I peg it somewhere under 3%. Roy W. is talking out of his arse (yea...pack your bags and show up for your victory, Roy). The Saints will really have to be off this game to lose. I suspect that it would be more what they didn't do than what we did do. I've thought of a hundred different scenarios and they all come out the same. We lose. The Cowboys don't know how to play like rabid dogs backed in a corner. In this situation, they start gnawing their own feet off versus taking it out on those who backed them in the corner. My faith is shot. And, I'm sure next year around this time, it will be the same stuff all over again.

I would love to eat some crow...but I think I will be having chicken instead.

3. basso

Supporting Member

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hTGzqNC0WcI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hTGzqNC0WcI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

i think they're right on about the OL, wonder if having a moose johnson on the team wouldn't help compensate for that lack.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yea, Deon Anderson is ok, but nothing more.

The line has stretches where it is very good. The past few years, it starts well and peters out a bit. Some of the failure is because of the RBs and the scheme to some extent.

The Williams trade was bad, and every Cowboy fan admits it. I hope that he gets a little bit better next year as far as chemistry with Romo. It never looks easy between the two of them. We need to draft a speed WR. We also need to start thinking about youth at Safety and Oline.

5. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Basso I understand your point and appreciate sharing the video.

Its true that the Cowboy's needed a number one receiver but the choice of Roy Williams was not necessary. There were other disgruntled receivers (BMarshall) as well as more proven receivers available. Cowboys fans begged for a receiver to be drafted the previous two years but we got nothing. Desean Jackson and later Percy Harvin were within the Cowboys grasp - these guys weren't top five picks. So I don't accept the notion that Jerry's hand was forced. He wanted a big Texas star receiver and he went and got him. It's a match made in heaven until you consider his injury history, inconsistency, and lack of necessary attitude to be a star in the NFL. These things were not a surprise to others in the league, so how come Jerry sold our draft for this underachiever?

6. basso

Supporting Member

we've got a speed WR, his name is Ogletree.

7. basso

Supporting Member

i agree, Jerry's a lousy GM, and i'd much rather have not made that trade. i just don't think it was quite so crystal clear 13 months ago.

plus, i think Romo and Royo, are getting there. just seems to come naturally between TR and Miles.

and if it's not clear by now, i admit it:

i'm a romosexual

8. Major

Major Member

lalala :)

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

As it affects the Cowboys, I'm glad they won tonight because it increases the chances Wade will return next year.

Whatever it takes for them to keep spinning their wheels without being a contender.

10. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Your meal sir, just how you ordered it

[​IMG]

11. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

The Cowboy are a contender. And the wheels are spinning towards the playoffs. And

12. Surfguy

well...i gladly ate my crow but at least i gave them a 3% chance. a lot of people, like Tony Dungy, gave us no chance at all. i knew that if the stars were aligned correctly...we could pull off the upset. it obviously took our best game of the season and we hadn't seen us play that well all year...especially the way we tend to start games slowly. the problem with the cowboys has always been consistency from game-to-game. there is no doubt they have explosive potential if they execute. we all know that. the problem has been consistency in that execution. i mean...if we lose one of the next two games...then this game won't mean much in the bigger picture if we miss the playoffs. i hope this motivates us to keep winning because they don't get any bigger than this one imo. job well done but unfinished. even romo said he could understand all the doubters based on their performance the last two games. granted, there is a small segment of cowboys fans who pick the cowboys no matter what. i don't believe in blind faith and picking my own team regardless every week. that is just being subjective about it. i have to bring objectivity into it based on how they play. cowboy did the right thing and used all the naysayer talk (especially from tony dungy) to motivate them and they came in fired up. i believe in picking wins based on how i see them performing on the field. we really hadn't seen this team play this well on both sides of the ball all season against a winning team on the road (except maybe a Philly game win on the road but a close game).

what i'm finding pathetic this morning is how saints and saints fans are really not giving the cowboys credit versus just saying they played an off game. oh...could that have anything to do with the cowboys controlling the clock, nailing two first drive TDs, putting pressure on Brees all night long, forcing turnovers, and executing their gameplan better? seriously, all the talk was about how disappointed they were they couldn't win all the games (looking ahead) and talking about super bowl (what happened to one game at a time?). i haven't seen one saints player or fan give the cowboys any credit for this win. amazing. it's about them having an "off" game and, apparently, the cowboys really had nothing to do with it. at least wade and our players give credit to the other team when they lose. the saints, and even their fans from what i have read from them, are so arrogant they will have none of that i guess. cowboys should keep this in mind if we have to face them again. they didn't get the respect from the saints this time. i don't see it at all.

edit: well...i did hear brees give us some credit. they must not have shown that last night when i was watching the post-game interviews. he said about us "cowboys came in ready and they played a great game tonite." while also saying "we didnt play our best game tonite". so, i stand corrected.

#72 Surfguy, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  13. Major

Major Member

:)

14. Surfguy

major,

lol. i guess i wasn't expecting all the pressure we put on brees and us controlling the clock. yea...that will translate into an off-game. ;)

granted, i concede it wasn't their best game but they were supposed to be invincible at home with ridiculously pumped up home stats versus road stats. they made the patriots look bad. i was wrong coming into this game. our gameplan was executed to perfection pretty much...and it disrupted what they wanted to do. so, their "off" game is because their offense was "off" the field a lot of the night. lol.

anyway, i guess that is how you beat the saints. have your offense run and pass the ball well, control the clock while running the ball, and keep their offense off the field...cause you can only keep it in check so long before they destroy you. i guess you have to keep them off the field long enough to get a cushion lead to withstand their 4th quarter onslaught. good job, cowboys. sorry i only gave you a 3% chance. maybe i will bump that up to 10% next time. ;)

#74 Surfguy, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That is EXACTLY what I want Jerry Jones to believe.

16. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

To be honest I didn't see them winning without Ware, thankfully God loves D-ware and played very well even after the scary scene of him being taken out in an stretcher. I still don't get them though. Consistency is what Dallas lacks and will hurt them down the line. For some reason I see them winning the next game and losing a close game against Philly.

17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'm a life long fan and this team is way too inconsistent to be a real contender. I thought they could beat the Saints but doubted they would. On any Sunday any team can win in the NFL. 2 more wins and they are in the playoffs. Equally as likely is the Cowboys get rolled by the Eagles on the last weekend and don't make the playoffs again.

I'm hoping the for the best.

18. number22

number22 Member

Did the cowboys beat the saints last night? :cool:

19. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

What a fail thread...

20. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Well he doesn't know that you want him to believe that, so I guess you lose.