1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this Rick Adelman's most talented team on paper?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BEXCELANT, Aug 28, 2007.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Webber, Peja, Divacs, and Bibby were all all-star or borderline all-star talents. Bobby Jackson was a 6th man of the year and Christie was as good as Battier.

Prime Webber > Yao
    Divac>Scola
    Tmac>Peja
    Christie=Battier
    Bibby>=Francis

This could be a good team and it depends on how Yao plays. Yao has the potential to be better than Webber but he isn't there yet.

2. WNBA

WNBA Member

no.

Webber was a superstar.

Yao and TMAC are superstars on paper.

3. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

This doesn't make sense. How can Jerome Kersey not be mentioned as a key player of the '91-'92 Portland team? He was still with the Trailblazers, and his stats were better than those of Danny Ainge.

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yao and TMac are a great all stars, like Webber....but two things.

1) How many times did Webber get his teams out of the first round (or even to the playoffs) in his first eight seasons?

2) Was Webber ever the kind superstar like Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, or Garnett was? An MVP player.

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That 01-02 Kings team was the best team in the League. They lost to the Lakers in overtime on their home court in 7 and the Lakers went on to sweep the Nets. That year, the East was pretty bad, close to as bad as the 06-07 season.

Anyhow, I liked the Lakers...didn't love them, but definitely liked them..big fan of Shaq and Kobe, and even to me, it was very obvious that the Kings were totally screwed by the refs. Sure, the Kings could have played better, but in all honesty, if the refs weren't terribly biased towards the Lakers, Adelman would have a championship.

Then in the '04 finals, the refs totally screwed Shaq, but it was inconsequential b/c the Pistons killed the Lakers in that series. But overlooked is the fact that the Refs totally changed the way they called Shaq all of a sudden.

I have no idea what/who dictates these reffing changes, but man...it's just weird...I'm not saying they're corrupt, but just inconsistent and bad at least.

6. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

LOL was Donoughy the ref back then?

7. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

Don't sugar coat it. They are corrupt and have been for many years.

8. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

OH OH! Now you've done it...the YOF's will be up in arms. Yao vs Webber who's better?

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

he's been one since that late 90s.

That thing about the Kings...that was their championship to win....they had home field throughout the playoffs and had the Lakers on their heels. Most were even saying they would be the team to dethorne the Lakers. The Kings had their chances but they failed to capitalize like in Game 4 being up by almost 20 pts in 3rd quarter after blowing Lakers out in Game 3. They inevitably let them back into game and Horry's 3 happen Lakers tie to series and win it 7. If the Kings win game 4, they have 3-1 lead going home with the advantage and possibly a trip to championship. Only two teams in the NBA have ever come back from 3-1 down at the time only one...so you would figure series over with.

10. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Is the other team the Dallas Mavericks ownage of the Rockets after being down 3-1?

11. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Anyways..I digress. Yao is >>>>>>>>>>> Webber on his best day.

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

No....in that series we had 2 - 0 lead coming back to Houston and lost both games. That could be consider as bad as 3 - 1 , but you still have two out of the next four games compared to winning one out of next three with probably two home games.

3 -1 comebacks have only happen 3x in the history of the NBA and 95 Rockets, 02-03 Pistons, and 05-06 Suns.

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

A weird fact about that is you could be right...even though Webber has played longer, had few better years, and played in more meaningful games.

Yao is ranked 20th all time in player efficiency rating, right behind the likes Kobe and Larry the Legend.

Another thing point everyone in front him are either in the HOF, on their way in as first ballot HOF, or amongst best in the league.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/PER_career.html/

I don't know alot about about the rating, but assuming has something do with players scoring, rebounds, defense, turnovers....and...

Oh...I think this it "The PER sums up all a player's positive accomplishments, subtracts the negative accomplishments, and returns a per-minute rating of a player's performance." John Hollinger.

That's if people put alot of emphasis into that.

14. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

The issue with your individual comparison is the Yao is ton better than brad miller and Tmac is a ton better than christie. whereas corlis is moderately better than hayes etc.

if yao and tmac play like how they should which are all nba first team type players, then rox will be the best team adelman ever coached imo

15. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I know Where you coming from, but there is other intangibles involved. things like raport and chemistry. the had a proven team that played for eachother. they were proven winners. however this team has yet to even train together. i think it's premature to label this team better.

16. battousai

battousai Member

This is how I see it, U can't compare them person to person or position to position, rather their skills needed on the court.

Yao> Miller/Divac, no doubt Yao is way better than Miller at the center, and they both can do the tricks

Scola<Cwebb, pound for pound Cwebb is way better than scola before the injury, and it could be a wash if Cwebb compare to Yao, but both have different style of game.

McGrady>Peja/Christy, this is tricky, of course Tmac is light yrs ahead of those two, both in terms of 3pts deadeye, I think no one on Rox can outmatch peja.

SF, MJ, or Alston < Bibby, much better well rounded PG, he is like all 3 of them combined.

Bench
    Francis/MJ = Jackson
    James = gerald wallace
    Wells > Turkalough
    Hayes Moutombo< Divac.

It really depends on how well we shoot the 3s, as it really helped the kings in order to open up the middle. We don't have that yet and it might be what we needed.

17. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

There is noway the gerald wallace of the king years is = to james. wallace back then was a athelet with not alot of skill.

18. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

with yao and tmac alone, this team beat most teams. on paper, yao in one of the most dominant center and tmac one of the most explosive scorer. so yeah, on paper this rox team is the best.

19. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Here's the rest of the team in comparison
    James > Jackson
    Wells > Turk
    Hayes> Pollard
    Reed? > Funderburke
    Snyder > Wallace
    Brooks > Cleaves
    Head > Price
    Butler > Brown

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I'm gonna look at this way...that team almost beat Shaq-Kobe Lakers in the series....

Does anyone think with team, we have now...could beat one of those Shaq and Kobe teams in series?

1. Compared to 01-02, 02-03 Lakers...our team pose a few more match-up problems than team....

2. Yao played Shaq in 04 playoffs...and they sorta cancelled each other out...neither one had a great series..but I match up between these two almost pit...fading, but still the most dominate player in the league Shaq vs. Yao who is very close to reaching his prime.

Scola is probably light years better than PF the Lakers had in those years.

SG/SF....T-Mac vs. Kobe....they probably wouldn't guard each other most of the game....Battier would take Kobe, while Fox takes T-Mac.

PG....both possible starting PGs are better Fisher....as of a defender that Fisher is...he struggled containing Steve....and I don't how he would do against the Mike.

Benches
    ----------------------
    Rockets have a really big advantage...with Wells, Mutombo, Head, James (or Francis), Snyder, Brooks, and etc. .... while the bench and third option scorer was the biggest glaring weakness of those Laker teams.

Shaq and Kobe would be our main problem in the series...but I think he could actually beat those teams in 6 games (most likely 7). That team did squeak by Kings, but we have better defense and more dominate scorers than team had.