1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this correct?... (Revisiting the '21 offseason)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Aug 29, 2023.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Texans - and new GM Nick Caserio - acquired 39 players during the 2021 offseason: 30 free agent signings; five draft picks; 4 trades.

And the net result - after today's roster trim - is... five players, including a back-up QB? And this in the shadow of it sure looking like another lost season from Kenyon Green and a trade that sure looks like it's going to gift Arizona a top five pick?

At some point, you may need to drag a dead horse in here because I intend to beat the ever-living **** out of this point all season: Nick Caserio is a moron and should've been fired along with his second failed head coach (who never should've been hired).

I love DeMeco Ryans. I hope he can assert power and run Caserio back to New England.

Mack, mikol13 and a time to chill like this.
  2. a time to chill

Yeah, I'm not a big Caserio fan and two consecutive one and done coaches should've gotten him the ax, but I was happy he got both Stroud and Anderson. He's been terrible at almost everything else though.

Hey Now! likes this.
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Texans will not finish in the bottom 5 of the league. Green has been injured. He probably needs to stay on IR for this season. Then evaluated next off season.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I still give Caserio an incomplete, and I think this may be partially by his own design. Just remember that his free agent signings have been largely 1-2 year contracts. Because of that, I think the stat you quoted is misleading.

Are we in a far better spot now than what we were? Yes.

It actually looks like maybe we dodged a bullet with the Watson fiasco. There's a chance we end up with a better franchise quarterback, possibly having cut bait with something of fool's gold. *Ducks as I know that statement alone, sadly has the chance to derail any thread in this forum anymore*

I think that whoever has been doing the drafting has been absolutely excelling (aside from Green, who I think is injured, tbh).

Free agency has been ho-hum. We've brought in some good talent, but nothing long term.

I'm on the fence about Caserio. I think that his coaching searches were undoubtedly fireable offenses (each of them, separately), and he should have been shown the door; however, I feel we have the right coach now, and we're on the right track.

I'm not sure I'd be upset whether he stayed or went, and maybe that's an indictment on the job he's doing in and of itself...

rusHour and desihooper like this.
  5. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

For me its still incomplete, In 2020, O'Brien left a mess a pure disaster, with tons of terrible contracts, and soo much dead cap for the 2021 and 2022 season
    After that nobody wanted to play or coach for the Texans, (because the team was soo bad, and also because of Easterby) so Caserio only had left scraps and scrubs from other teams, and tried the 1 year prove it, and most didnt prove it they were good.
    Caserio only have this season and next when they finally have a ton of cap space, and players now really wanting to come and play for Houston.

Also really it seems, he has no ties with any player, even if he drafted, or signed, he is cutting the bad players.

6. Hey Now!

But wouldn't you say we're in the better spot almost exclusively because of how we feel about Ryans? For me, that eases any other interim/legitimate concerns.

The issue with Caserio, IMO, is you're giving him a pass on *his* terms and not considering if his plan was any good. He essentially sidelined the team for two years of irrelevance, eschewing any free agents of note that you could build around; hiring laughably bad head coaches - and now, his first draft class is evaporating.

I'll give him credit for not screwing up the Ryans hire, I guess? I doubt Nick Caserio was a driver in Ryans coming here. And while a blind monkey could've traded Deshaun Watson - the return isn't really worth celebrating - how he uses that return is what's important. So far?.... It hasn't been great.

I genuinely can't think of one thing he's done well. The NFL Network and ESPN have both, this offseason, ranked the 100 best players in football: the Texans had a lone representative - on one of the lists - and it was a guy (Tunsil) Caserio inherited. Across the board, he's added so little value, and man! I'm still irked at the Will Anderson deal.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The thing is you can excuse each aspect of his evaluation but when you’re done you realize you aren’t arguing to keep him for any reason, just arguing against firing him for specific things

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He’s plain white bread. Nothing special at this point. Granted he came into a terrible situation and has had to deal below mediocre coaching so he gets a little runway, but that runway is getting short, especially with Ryans here

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

10. Hey Now!

He had to "deal" with below-mediocre coaching???? HE HIRED THOSE BELOW-MEDIOCRE COACHES!

This drives me BONKERS! Why are we handing this guy so many free passes? He didn't hire this guy; he didn't draft that guy... His entire tenure is just a long series of excusing bad decisions.

He's either actively involved in the bad decision making - which has earned him a firing - or he's not been involved at all which.... begs what the f he actually does?

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  11. Hey Now!

BigShasta and Two Sandwiches like this.
  12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

They aren’t in control of their record so the actual roster and coaching moves are irrelevant. You’re looking at this all wrong. Nick is reinventing the NFL.

Hey Now! likes this.
  13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Take it easy Francis. I don’t know that it was his, and his decision alone, to hire those coaches. But yes, they were awful.

Don’t get it twisted. I don’t like the guy and don’t think he’s done a good job, especially from a talent acquisition standpoint. He might very well be a decent GM when there is real coaching and real infrastructure in place, but I think, and hope, that time is now so he’s on a very short leash

If for nothing else, I hope he goes so I stop seeing that one poster say ‘big D nick’ (which I blocked btw because it was so moronic )

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Rack him!

I really couldn’t agree more. Dude isn’t nearly as smart as he thinks he is. In Caserio I do not trust.

I get the 1 and 2 year deals when trying to turn over the roster. That said, where were the core piece signings? We had none until this past draft and that’s probably because of coach.

#14 mikol13, Aug 31, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2023
    Hey Now! likes this.
  15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Not defending Caserio but don’t think you can say for certainty those hires were solely his decisions. HC hires are rarely the GMs sole call and we know for a fact that Cal (obviously), Hannah, Janice and Easterby were all involved in one way or another. The number of interviews, length of the searches and ultimate choice were all indicators that there was a lot of internal debate over on Kirby. Stark difference to this year’s search.

Agree with you on everything else though.

raining threes and Hey Now! like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

This coming offseason into next season will determine Caserio's future. Everything is set up exactly like he wants it, so there are no "previous regime" type excuses.

So far, he's done some good things and he's done some dumb things, but given the total s!!tshow he came into I don't know how to accurately judge his performance yet.

raining threes, TheFreak and BigM like this.
  17. justtxyank

I'll repeat what I said above. I think you can excuse all of the reasons you can come up with to fire him. It was a bad situation, he didn't have real power, the owner and Easterby were involved in everything, OBrien torched the franchise, etc. etc. etc. But really, I can't give any reason NOT to replace him. There isn't really anything on the positive column unless you just love how aggressive he was to get Stroud and Anderson.

In another thread someone said he's nailed the draft and I think there's still a dent in my forehead from my reaction to that.

The 49ers have a great personnel guy who is available to be poached because he's not the GM. I'd snag him.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Wasn't Caserio "a great personnel guy who is available to be poached because he's not the GM"?

[/devil's advocate]

raining threes likes this.
  19. justtxyank

No actually. Patriots were not well though of for their personnel moves.

20. Buck Turgidson

Not in the draft, but they turned castoffs into contributors with regularity

eta: and just to stop this where it stands...I don't care enough to argue about it

yet

raining threes likes this.