1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this article legit on our cap situation?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pocketrocket81, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well they aren't going to cut Joseph, at least not this year and I wasn't arguing that they'd have a ton of cash to spend in FA, just that most of our FA's aren't worth bringing back.

From your list,
    Garrett Graham- Nice decent TE, but he's a classic Kubiak undersized TE, I think O'Brien prefers bigger TE's so they aren't going to throw a ton of cash his way.

Ben Tate - Not worth throwing a ton of cash at, and even if he was, he wants to be a sterter so he's gone.

Antonio Smith - He's aging and WAY too expensive for what he brings to the team. Pass.

Wade Smith - Wrong side of 30 and his play has been declining, he was already losing snaps to Ben Jones. Pass

Ryan Harris - if he wants to come back for 700k then sure.

Joe Mays - if he'll come back for 1 mil, then sure.

Darryl Sharpton - He probably wouldn't be healthy enough to make it to the office to sign a new contract. Pass

Earl Mitchell - His claim to fame is being slightly better than Shaun Cody...Pass.

1 person likes this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

We're specifically discussing the cap and the various ramifications of renegotiating, reconfiguring, resigning, signing, cutting, etc., players.

The point is that in this rush to create ample cap space, too many posters are forgetting that we still have to field a 53(+)-man roster. Not only that, but a 53-man roster the owner thinks is good enough to compete for a playoff spot. So this idea we're just going to cut and slice the roster up and create an overabundance of cash we can throw at all the best free agents has no basis in reality.

You just let 6 starters/contributors walk. I'm not arguing the merit, just that you have to then add them to the growing list of needs.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well in the case of a lot of those starters, they have replacements already on the team. Wade Smith was already starting to be replaced by Ben Jones, Antonio would have to be replaced either in the draft or with Crick, Graham would be replaced by Ryan Griffin, Earl Mitchell doesn't have a spot on the team anymore now that Wade Phillips is gone so he'll have to be replaced no matter what.

4. Hey Now!

You seem to be having a conversation with yourself. This is all fine and dandy - I'm not arguing the merits of individual players; just the notion that you (collectively; not you, bobby, specifically) can release and not sign a bevy of players and create this windfall of cap space. For every player you cut or let walk, you have to replace (or replace the player they're replacing). Too many posters are playing a zero-consequence game with our cash.

The players being discussed represent starters/important contributors, and they're on top of positions where there aren't necessarily financial cuts being made but nonetheless need upgrading (RT, OLB, S, CB, etc.)

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Actually I think all those guys are gone.

6. Hey Now!

That's fine; add nine more holes to fill with all the cap space you've created because everyone of those guys contributed to the team last year...

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000329753/article/salary-cap-expected-to-make-nearly-10m-jump-in-2014

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Salary cap projected to rise to about $133 million this year, expected to break $140 million next year and $150 million by 2016, per source</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/439423607211851776">February 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/NDKalu"></a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> rank 26th in cap space ($9M); no team with a worse record has less cap space. Out of 5 worst records, closest is WAS $29.7!</p>&mdash; Shane Richardson (@ShaneNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/ShaneNFL/statuses/439427369552855040">February 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. Remii

Remii Member

Contributed to what... A 2-14 season...??? O'Brien is going to have to clean up this mess just like Kubiak had to do when he first got here. Can't expect the new guy will be happy with the old guy's trash.

11. Remii

Remii Member

Means we have a lot of players that are being paid that shouldn't be. And giving two players big contracts after an injury was a major mistake.

12. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Bingo. A lot more changes are coming than the average fan believes.

13. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Funny how Rick was somehow able to pawn this whole mess off on Kubiak and still keep his job. He better hit on this draft and make some decent player personel decisions this offseason.

14. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I have little doubt that Rick would be gone if not for his contract.

15. Summer Song Giver

Rick Smith must be coated in Teflon because he walked away clean from that disaster of a season.

I guess being Cal Mcnair's buddy and godfather to Cal's son are beneficial in terms of his ability to run an organization, ha...ha...ha :(

16. Remii

Remii Member

I tend to agree with that. I was thinking Rick was just a puppet GM and that's what he may continue to be.

17. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Ha! This is what you get for paying schaub, foster, and cushing.

Texans can't get anything right, and when they pass on Bridgewater it will only continue the rich tradition of awful decision making.

At this point all you can do is laugh

18. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

You have to. My wife was so confused last year when I was just laughing out loud in my living room at every awful play. She thought I'd lost it.

19. Summer Song Giver

That is down right atrocious, and Rick Smith remains... hahahaha

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well the argument is that no team in the top 5 in the draft has as much talent on their roster as the Texans either so it sort of makes sense.