1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Is this a joke] RR Express sign 'Rojo' Johnson

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by leroy, May 5, 2010.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

2. luisantonio1014

I guess it must be a movie he's filming. Rojo: The Tale of Billy Ray Johnson.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Farrell is in town for a charity golf tournament he's put together...Cancer for College, which provides scholarships to cancer survivors. They are still advertising a "Will Farrell" appearance tonight. I'm going to the game tonight. Should be interesting, to say the least.

4. leroy

@ game...was ferrell...got tossed after 1 pitch

5. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Sounds more exciting and a lot less painful than having to watch the Astros.

6. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Maybe we should have sacrificed a live chicken.

Hey bartender, Jobu needs a refill.

8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

pathetic publicity stunt.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-HIfRRzcY_E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-HIfRRzcY_E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

10. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

"Mentally, I feel like I have the strength of 10 men." --Rojo Johnson 5/6/2010

11. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

That is awesome.

12. leroy

It was funny. It got a damn good crowd out there (1/2 price beer didn't hurt, either). It was for a good cause.

Try having a little more of a sense of humor and being a little less of a d***.

I was right behind home plate last night. Couldn't tell it was beer he had on the mound. Makes it more hilarious. The crowd certainly got a kick out of it.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

tossed for arguing the call?

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Will Ferrell = Not that funny. Obviously plenty of people do find him funny though.

15. leroy

Probably more for opening and then dousing the Nashville batter with a beer, throwing his glove at him, etc.

16. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Contributing Member

He's back:

https://hercules.rr.com/sports/topi...hfVp573/07UF5zC17l0Ez/Rojo_Johnson_Returns_to

Rojo Johnson Returns to Central Texas
    April 25, 2011 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Round Rock Express

Round Rock ExpressROUND ROCK, Texas - Will Ferrell will host the second annual Will Powered Golf Classic on Friday, May 6 at Cimarron Hill Country Club in Georgetown, Texas, on behalf of Cancer for College.

Ferrell returns to Central Texas for the second summer in a row. Billy Ray "Rojo" Johnson, a fictional character portrayed by Ferrell, pitched in a game for the Round Rock Express during the 2010 season against the Nashville Sounds. The Express announced the signing of Johnson, a fire-balling right-handed phenom that was born in the U.S. but raised in Venezuela, a few weeks before he was to make his first appearance.

Johnson had been serving time in a central Texas prison for running a smuggling ring that imported rare and illegal species of reptiles into the U.S., and upon his release was assigned to The Dell Diamond. Johnson entered the game against the Nashville Sounds on Thursday, May 6 wearing gold chains and toting a bag full of beers. His first pitch went behind the Sounds player and he was immediately ejected. He eventually left the field, but not before fighting with the umpire and spraying the Sounds player with beer, ending his only stint with the Express in 2010.

Johnson was asked to make a return during the 2011 season but declined citing the affiliation change.

"Rojo doesn't play for an American League team," Johnson said. "I don't just pitch, I also hit. When the Express changed their affiliation from the Astros to the Rangers, I decided to hang up the cleats. I'm a National League guy."

While many fans will be disappointed to hear that Johnson will not return to The Dell Diamond, Express CEO Reid Ryan believes Johnson may be scared to make a return.

"To be honest, I think it is a cop-out," Ryan said. "I think he is scared. Coming into last year all I heard about was his arm, and frankly, it did not impress me. We have new uniforms and a talent-laden team that just happens to be in first place and he is afraid to take the mound, period. He's scared."

Cancer for College is a 501(c)(3) charity that was formed in 1993 by two-time cancer survivor and double amputee, Craig Pollard. Since its inception, Cancer for College has raised over $2 million and granted more than 800 scholarships to cancer survivors. Proceeds from this year's event will directly benefit 15 scholarship recipients who are either attending a Texas school or call the state home.

1 person likes this.
  17. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Rojo representing!

18. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

It's really cool that he's coming back. I work for ideal signs and we do ever sign in the entire stadium. 4 guys doing every design and basically redoing the entire staidum since they changed the logo is so frustating but doing life size cut-outs of rojo johnson is awesome.

19. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Contributing Member

It would be better if they would sign Kenny Powers.

20. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

priceless :grin:

I totally missed this last year, but when I just saw the thread title, I thought this was a joke... the Onion perhaps. "Rojo" Johnson... really?! I'm surprised he didn't pile it on and call himself "Big" Rojo Johnson.