1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there a middle point between Adelman and JVG use of Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by littlefish_220, Apr 22, 2009.

1. littlefish_220

For JVG, basically Yao goes to low point every single time, fights for the position, wrestle, some forced passes, at the cost of more turnovers we have more chances to FT line and higher percentage of shooting.

For Adelman, he basically says don't force it. If they front Yao hard, let guards take advantage and if they score well chances will naturally go to Yao. So let Yao go to high post more, set the screen more, and go for offense rebounding more.

For me, is there a middle point between these two extreme ends? Can we mix it up a little bit.

Today, but not only today, is a typical example of the failure of Adelman's philosophy.

First of all, don't tell me anything about turnovers, this is just not right to let your best offensive player shoot 6 times for a whole game. Some people said I don't care if Rox wins and Yao scores 10. But don't be naive, when Yao scores around 10 we have a very small chance to win.

Secondly, when Yao is at high post more and more, he creates limited space for guards. Fronting defense does create some chances for our slashers. But JVG's offense creates more space for our 3 point shooters. I don't know which one is better.

Thirdly, if I were Portland's coach, I will put all my bets on "let Rox guard shoot". On a very hot-shooting day, that means loss. But more likely than not, I prefer to more shooting of Rox guards.

I think Rox starts the game well. Since your all focus is on the defense of Yao, we start the game with some other sets. But at a certain point of the game, you have to go back to Yao and play some different sets to involve him more.

I don't want to play this blame game. Everyone shares responsibility on this issue, and some of problems can never being solved because of our players' limit on passing skills and athleticism.

But my point is this- should we try "feeding the Yao" a little bit harder? Should we sometimes take a little bit more risk to feed the post? Personally, I think the answer is Yes.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

JVG never stopped the fronting problem. They had Tmac and they could run a yao-tmac pick and roll. Unfortunately no one on this team is as good as tmac.

Yao needs to get open and if not he needs to set picks.

3. aws311

aws311 Member

it happened again as you said.
    whose resposibility?
    rocket set limit for their own, and paid for it.

4. Bustnani

Bustnani Member

JVG had as much problems with fronting Defense as Adelman, only difference was that PHX and GSW were the onlyl ones using it on a regular basis. Yao struggled against those 2 teams during JVG era aswell.

Now almost all teams use fronting defense. Maybe it's not coaches or players, just maybe the problem is Yao......

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Adelman said after the game that the Rockets players weren't patient enough in dealing with the front. Too many rushed shots, instead of moving the ball, and finding the openings with the pass. He didn't like that there was only 12 assists, evidently.

6. rockets_fanatic

The instruction in the fourth quater should have been to get Yao the ball. It is as simple as that.

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

This is the truth. On one hand we don't want to turn it over. However, the Portland announcers were absolutely right that our guards don't even look at Yao when he's being fronted.

8. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

This team has no hope of getting far if they let opponent dictate how they must play. If you can't get the ball to Yao...hell they're even looking to go to Yao and TRYINGGGGGG to go to him....then what's the point of having Yao playing??? It's almost like you're waving your white flag before the game even started because if you're looking for Yao, you're essentially saying you win!! This is totally unacceptable because if they keep insisting looking for Yao, surely he must have open at some point. Not every time they deny him the ball you see what i am saying?? But if you're not even looking to go to him, the chance of getting him the ball is even more slim. That is why Yao isn't even getting any touches.

Sure the other players play well by attacking the basket. But if they're not looking for Yao more, this team isn't going to be effective. They always lose when Yao don't get many touches...just look at the history of this team!

9. jshabang

jshabang Member

both oden and pryzbilla have 5 fouls.......and u dont force the action with yao?????....or send a all out attack at the rim???????

sometimes adelmen just loses me......6 shots for yao????

10. slimichael85

slimichael85 Member

I think it is not just about the Coach, RA indeed have a problem in the final minutes when it comes to time out timing and coming out with an effective gameplan.
    Yao, in the other end, as a leader of the team, should assert himself and manage to establish post position when it comes to clutch, especially in today game's situation.
    Maybe it is just what they are made of, we should not ask for more than they could be. I hope they would prove me wrong sooner or later ;)

11. teampunjabi

teampunjabi Member

What about a pick and pop with Brooks and Yao. Yao has proved he can hit that long jumper.