1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

is there a hiring thread?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Charles Jones, Mar 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. CCorn

CCorn Member

Brb. Going to go grab some Whataburger and check out some mattresses.

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I know the folks in accounting well, and they are growing rapidly. If you want to send me your resume I can pass it along.

We don't have set pay ranges per position. Basically they ask what your current pay is (with proof) and they make a pretty large bump up from that as the offer. I was at Microsoft before here, and I got a significant raise - your mileage may vary, but we pay people a lot.

We have a very aggressive bonus that pays out in April, and is pro-rated even if you start within the year which is nice.

3. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

Thanks. I live and breathe C# and SQL and I'm a swing trader. Kind of seems to perfect. I'm not really looking for a job, but I went ahead and applied anyway as it looks fairly promising and right up my alley. I hit you up on LinkedIn.

4. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Any Big 4 recruiters on CF?? Looking to make the jump from a national firm.

5. NateNate

NateNate Member

Dam this mattress sucks...

6. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Right when I am getting into Software Development; sounds like a good choice; Thank You!

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

I added you, but just had a question. Not searching for the job. There may/may not have been a "small world" type coincidence.

8. Rockets13

Rockets13 Member

What advice would you guys give someone who just got a degree and is looking for a job in Houston?

9. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Network, network, network.....

10. Rockets13

Rockets13 Member

I don't even know where to start, the only experience I have is with the Army.

11. Svpernaut

First of all, be more forward. Your original request should have been something like, "What advice would you have for a recent graduate with a degree in *your degree here* and military experience?"

Why am I pointing that out? Because you probably make the same small mistakes talking to people on the phone and face to face. Having military experience and a college degree is great - companies everywhere want people like that. Own it, let it be part of who you are.

My advice otherwise would be to make sure you've built out your LinkedIn profile - that is where most people get hired today from my opinion, at least for the best jobs. My past two jobs I was found on LinkedIn, I wasn't looking either time. For an example at the level of details you should build out, you can view mine.

Then network on LinkedIn and check for local Meetups with people of similar backgrounds and tastes. Are there some companies you'd like to work for? Scour LinkedIn for information regarding the company. You can find the names of their recruiters, and contact them directly. Let them know why you respect their company and that you'd love to be apart of their team. Also, let them know what you can bring to the table that the average college graduate can't (ie - military experience).

In my opinion, most people who can't find jobs aren't working hard enough at finding them. Yes, there are exceptions, but you have to make yourself stand out. Submitting a resume via Monster isn't standing out, they get thousands of them usually. Small tweaks on how you do things can have huge results.

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

My best friend can help you out with PWC. Shoot me an email.

1 person likes this.
  13. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Email sent through the board.

14. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

My favorite part about your linkedin is your 2006 Time Person of the year Award. I may take note of this for personal reasons.

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's one helluva post, probably the best I've ever read from you.

16. Svpernaut

LOL! I've actually been asked about that in an interview before. Great icebreaker.

1 person likes this.
  17. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wonder what the SPIF was on that mattress?

18. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Start with Linkedin as your base. Try and hook up with people in the field you're interested in. Look around your area for clubs/groups that are in your field. Hang out....meet people. You can also schmooze general clubs like the Chamber of Commerce.

Also look for support groups of people looking for jobs. It's good to hang out with people dealing with the same thing you are and the connections you can make in groups like that can be pretty strong.

Go do some charity work.....you'll meet some great people with great connections.

Your resume is just a piece of paper that is only used to get your foot in the door....mostly based on keywords these days.

Once that door is cracked open, it's all about your personal brand and your stories. Know your stories backwards and forwards.....it's who you are. I'm sure your time in the Army has left you with some good ones. Companies want to know who you are, what you can do for them, and they want it backed up by evidence of what you did in the past. Doesn't always have to be about what you did in a job.....throw in some life experiences

Don't try to bs the stories.....you'll get your ass handed to you by people that eat bs for a living. You can bs other parts of the interview, but not the stories.

Here's a few links:

http://www.job-hunt.org/personal-branding/branding-with-stories.shtml

http://www.quintcareers.com/storytelling_strengthens_job-search.html

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/job-seekers-prepare-your-stories-liz-ryan

19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I may or may not have generally applied to Quantlab. I may or may not be looking for a Financial Analyst position. I may or may not be willing to relocate.

20. dragician

dragician Member