1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the NBA Finals the least fabled of Championships?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Apps, Feb 24, 2012.

1. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Hockey just gives me a different feeling when in playoffs. It's a completely different game, and best of all, the hits and fights..I think other than NFL hockey probably has the highest intensity.

Other than that I'd say UEFA Euro, UEFA Champions league and the world cup is probably the biggest events on earth. NBA finals? Not so much.

Superbowl is awesome tho.

2. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

In my area, it looks like this:

1. Super Bowl
    2. NCAA Championship
    3. NBA Finals
    4. World Series

I'm not going to put hockey anywhere on the list because I have never even met an NHL fan.

3. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Heres how it goes for me...

College Football
    NBA
    NFL
    MLB, MLS

Of course the World Cup over everything when it comes around.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You can't really compares any of these to the World Cup, since it is once every 4 years. It's fairer to compare to Champions League.

5. The CDN Dream

The CDN Dream Member

Here in Canada.. although ppl watch all of them... the most hype goes to the super bowl and the stanley cup. NBA is next and baseball comes 4th.

6. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Really? Because every year I hear ESPN talk about how the veiwership for the World Series is struggling :confused:

7. Apps

Apps Member

You have understood me correctly, sir. I'm talking about the pure veneration of the award. The Stanley Cup, although many basketball fans on here might not even get close to understanding it, is perhaps even MORE honorable than the Super Bowl or the World Series. The degree of importance that thing has to hockey fans is awesome.

Awkward sentencing on my part--I meant to say that the other three sports were older.

But yeah, to reclarify, this isn't about T.V. ratings or world popularity, this is about the weight and honor that the Championship trophy has. It just seems like the NBA doesn't have a very epic conclusion to its seasons, whereas the Super Bowl, World Series, and Stanley Cup are particularly illustrious and memorable.

8. jbasket

jbasket Member

The order of the "Big Four" in popularity is:

Super Bowl
    NBA Finals
    World Series
    Stanley Cup

baseball is falling under basketball because seriously, most casual sports fans get put to sleep by its slow play. And no, the Super Bowl trumps the NBA finals.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If you're talking about the physical trophy itself, sure, it has more history (how it's more "honorable" is another matter) than almost any one out there. In terms of an event that resonates in the US/worldwide...not even close.

10. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

casual fans would watch more a superbowl then a 7th game of the world series or a 7th game of the nba finals.

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The Yankees/Phillies World Series got better ratings than either of the last two Celtics/Lakers series. A lot of it depends on the size of the markets of the teams playing, and how deep the series goes. Six of the last ten World Series ended by Game 5. While it's true that World Series are down from the 80s and 90s, viewership of the NBA Finals is WAY down from that same period. NBA Finals ratings still haven't recovered from Jordan's retirement, and are nowhere near the levels of the 80s and 90s.

Talk to me when a World Series draws fewer viewers than any of the last three finals that the Spurs have played in.