1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the Joe Johnson Trade the worst in NBA History?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Dec 27, 2005.

1. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Christ, Boston traded JJ for a bag of chips (Delk & Rodgers).

2. jlwee

jlwee Member

Well, Steve Nash has turned unknown like Boris Diaw, James Jones into All-star caliber players this season. Who needs Amare??!!!

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I still wonder how you can trade Shaq to Miami without getting DWade. If you replace Butler with Wade, the trade is fairly even.

On the Joe Johnson deal, the Hawks are idiots for giving up two first rounders and Diaw just to pay JJ max dollars. The owner who had originally blocked the trade and was forced out was the smart one. I don't even think that Phoenix was really going to match a max contract. I thought they were expecting 10million per year max. Not to mention JJ told Phoenix that he wanted to leave and thus making it all the less likely that the Suns front office was going to match for a player who said he didn't want to be there anymore.

4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Kupchak is an idiot is why.The Lakers have made horrible personel decisions ever since Jerry West retired.He had just had enough and Phillip was winning the power struggle.I guess it helps when you are banging the owners daughter,I doubt Shaq would have ever been traded if West was still there.Thanks Phil the rest of the league is gracious to you for that move.

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Johnson is putting up 19 & 4 & 5 on high percentage shooting. He also is 24 and BTW has a career high in PPG and APG. He is no superstar but he is an excellent player with or without Nash, I love to have him as a 3rd wheel on the Rockets.

Where Atl goofed was not forcing the Suns to match or leave it as the minority owner said. But signing Johnson was not a bad idea, the trade that went down was, but no close to the worst in NBA history.

6. yaozilla1

yaozilla1 Member

no way joe johnson looks just as good playing with nash. which is how they got so much for him in the first place

7. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

I'm surprised no one mentioned that trade that Vancouver/Memphis made with Detroit for Otis Thorpe. The only reason it wasn't was because Detroit, who ended up with the 2nd overall pick in 2003 because of that trade, absolutely blew it by taking Darko.