1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the Bagwell Situation getting a little Sketchy?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketfat, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'm guessing that was sarcasm/or a joke...if not.... I don't think Calvin is an icon for the city. He isn't near being up there as Bagwell and Dream are to me.

I was in awe the first time I met Jeff, and just being in his presense was amazing. It was up there (just about) as when I was around the Dream (book signing).

2. msn

msn Member

Baseball isn't even "electric to watch". What do you want Bagwell to do, taunt guys after he catches the throw from AE and yell, "SIDDOWN!!"? Admire his home runs? Pump his fist in the air like a 13-year-old who's never been there before?

3. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Yeah but you would feel the same way about meeting the fat guy from Lost.

4. MR. MEOWGI

The Moonwalk would been kind of cool.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I cant believe Bagwell's value to the Astros, city of Houston, and MLB is even being discussed. The dude was unreal...anyone who can't see that is lost.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that guy is electric.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think if Mcgwire never had the record breaking HR season, people would remember/know of Bagwell moreso. The only thing Mcgwire did better was hitting it out of the park. In terms of overall player, Bagwell was far superior. He played great defense, hit for average, STOLE bases, etc.

With that said, I think Bagwell DOES mean a lot to Houston and its fans. This is just like when Dream left. Bitterness ensued but when everyone looked back a few years later, they appreciate Dream a lot more for what he did. And what did Bagwell do? He stayed with the team for 15+ years through the good AND bad times all the while representing the Astros as arguably the best NL 1st basemen of the 90s.

8. msn

msn Member

Absolutely. Bags is head and shoulders above every 1B of his time, Thomas, McGwire and Thome included.

I don't think arguments against him have a lot of merit, personally. He *is* the best 1B of the 90s, hands down.

9. MR. MEOWGI

Shut up! :D

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i knew you'd love that!!! :D

11. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

and meowgi has no opinion.

carry on.

12. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I think you have to add base running to the list. McGwire got on base with regularity, but he often stalls the baserunning for the whole team when he is on base. Bagwell on the other hand is always close to the top in runs scored.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I think we are just days away from a teary-eyed Bagwell at a news conference announcing he is hanging them up.

Hopefully Mclain will do the right thing and give him a place in the organization.

14. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

Check this out about Bagwell...

http://www.astroszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14068

He may not do as much as say Biggio, but he is still a class act.

15. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

That's great and all..seriously. But Biggio was right there along with him. I asked what has Bagwell done....on his own?
    Biggio has icon status...Bags doesn't!

16. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

He lead us to the playoffs, along with our great pitching. But, he didn't do much in the playoffs, as a hole.

I think he's a very good player. I don't know if I would say he's great, certainly wouldn't say he's "electric" or an "icon."

Icon to me = Michael jordan, or the strikeout king, the home run king, all time leading rusher, there has to be something notable. He hit 449 homers, and I think that's great, but what does that make Palmeiro? Is he an icon?

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Has Palmeiro done all he did in one city (and not had the failed steroid test), yes, he would be an icon.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Bagwell has a charitable foundation. Just because he doesn't get the publicity that Biggio, through the Sunshine Kids does, doesn't mean he doesn't give back to the community.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I like my star players to be 'edgy' and 'up in my face' with shiny white teeth, one dimple, and an intimidating nickname like 'Death Adder' or 'The Dolphin'.

20. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Can you name me the foundation off hand...without looking it up???
    Biggio gets the word out on the Sunshine kids...for donation purposes.
    How am I suppose to give to Bags favorite charity if he doesn't go public with it? Bags is like a lot of players...but, like those players, he is not an icon.
    Just because you play with one team doesn't make you an icon.
    Icon stature is much bigger than tenure!!