1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the Bagwell Situation getting a little Sketchy?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketfat, Mar 14, 2006.

1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Good players don't get statues made in honor of them.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Good players dont make it to the Hall of Fame.

Bagwell was a great player, one of the best during his prime and one of the best to ever put on an Astros uni. No questions about that.

Regarding the early exit tonight...Bagwell said that he could have stayed out there, but he felt like it wouldnt be worth it. He said its just the soreness that is part of the process and that he is confident he will be ready to play when the season starts.

3. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I guess it takes more than stats to be an icon to me. I think Jose Cruz meant more to this city than Bagwell. People gravitated to him. Bags is to standoffish for me to care. He is a main part of the reason the Astros were a bore for the most part of his playing time.

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Seriously, he's embarassing himself.

COME ON BAGS! We fans love you man, but you need someone to slap you into reality...what will make you realize your career is beyond over? Why do great players ALWAYS stay too long and tarnish their legacies by leaving a bitter taste in the collective mouths of their fans?

I feel sorry for him, I really do... :(

6. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

It's that drive and desire to play the game that MADE them great. That's why they hold on so long...the same reason they have a legacy.

7. MR. MEOWGI

and the steroids.

8. msn

msn Member

The problem is, nobody is asking you. Or me. Bagwell is dubbed an icon because of what his peers are saying, not you or me.

9. MR. MEOWGI

Well I think it is more a general consensus. Are people in awe when they are near him like say Nolan Ryan or Dream (or Calvin Murphy :D )? I don't think so.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'll take 25 boring guys who compete for the playoffs year in and year out. Bear in mind that I am not trying to convince you either way, but Bagwell brought a lot to the Astros. Hard work, hard play, arguably one of the best baserunners in baseball, leadership. Cruz brought the same qualities. I guess the main difference between the two is that Jose's hat would fall off when he was running to make a catch.

I just find your wording that he isn't the greatest Astro "by a longshot" puzzling.

11. MR. MEOWGI

He was a great player. I guess icon just means something more to me.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And if Bagwell's name had something catchy for the crowd to yell when he came up to bat, I'm sure his opinion would be different.

13. MR. MEOWGI

No just a reason to.

Wait I do have a nickname: "White Bread"

14. msn

msn Member

Poor analagy. Those guys have all been gone for some time. Right now, we're too familiar with Bagwell and his recent struggles. Ask that question in 10 or 15 years, and the answer is yes. Bags won't get the same awe that Dream does, but he'll get the same that Nolan did. And Calvin.

15. MR. MEOWGI

I dont think he will. NR was a superstar. Bagwell never was.

16. msn

msn Member

You and I disagree. Each was the best in his generation at his position. Each was hugely respected and feared universally by his peers. Unless you're judging based on the amount of screen time he gets on ESPN, Bagwell was every bit the star that Nolie was.

17. MR. MEOWGI

I would never of thought that. I just see Nolan on a different level.

And I don't watch ESPN.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Depends on your definition of superstar. Bagwell is statistically one of the top 3 first basemen ever in the National League. He has done things no other first basemen has ever done. He was on his way to one of the greatest offensive seasons ever (among any player) during his MVP year before the broken hand (and subsequent strike) curtailed 1994.

Earl Campbell was kind of a boring player too. He simply did his job better than anyone else and handed the ball to an official after he scored a touchdown.

19. MR. MEOWGI

But EC was electric to watch. He captivated the city. And he was a Texas boy.... He got boring when the Oilers sucked and ran him into the ground.

20. msn

msn Member

See, style points aren't what entertain me. I don't care how long one hangs on the rim, what he does in the camara, or how he leaps in the stands. I don't need to see him admire his home run before trotting down the 1B line or any of that crap. (In fact, I hate when those guys admire their own hits.)

What entertains me is what I already detailed in this thread earlier.
    You have to pull out some pretty historic freaking names to find better 1B than Bagwell. Gehrig comes to mind.