1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the Bagwell Situation getting a little Sketchy?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketfat, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Point taken and well said.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Biggio took less to stay in Houston. Honestly, I think that was step one in saving this franchise. He could have gone to Colorado or St. Louis for more. He didn't. A year later, they won their first division title in 11 years. And the county subsequently voted to give them a new stadium...locking them in here.

Loyalty does exist in pro sports. It's rare. But it does exist.

3. Bobblehead

Biggio was an unrestricted free agent at the time???
    It must have not been that much more of an offer.

So what do you think of Beltran?

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Bobblehead,

Judging from your posts, you will never believe that a player is truly loyal to a team unless they take a huge discount to stay with them. If your standard is that high, is it really that big an issue to you if they're not loyal?

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

he was absolutely unrestricted. he was offered a lot more by St. Louis and Colorado. he turned them both down to stay in Houston. said it was important for him to stick with the same organization...and said his ties in houston, even at that point, were already deep.

i'm not sure beltran owed any loyalty to a team that he played for roughly 3 months. but even if he did...i already made my point...it's rare, but loyalty in pro sports DOES exist.

6. Bobblehead

7. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Are you kidding me?!?!? Back when Bags and Bidge were primetime players, Biggio got a big offer from Colorado. The only reason the Astros were willing to match was because Bagwell restructured his deal. Also, in order to support the payroll of the last 5 years, Bagwell agreed to a ultra-backloaded contract. One of the reasons why the Astros have been successful is because of what Bagwell does off the field. Granted, the backloaded contract is now hitting the Astros hard, but you have to give the man what's due.

Bagwell is my favorite baseball player ever. I would not even be a baseball fan if it wasn't so much fun watching him taking care of business night in and night out. Nothing would make me feel better than seeing Bagwell riding off to sunset on his own terms.

Go Stros!

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So, you were not uninformed? I believe you.

As far as your little rant at me in the other thread, I think that was pretty much unwarranted. The facts are your thread title was misleading, you were uninformed, and you assume to know alot about me and my posting habits from one post. I think a lot more people will vouch for me on this one. So, however you took what I said, your little rant was unwarranted and immature.

Let's recap:

"hah...yeah, i'm uninformed. i was merely making an observation. it isn't my fault the thread got off topic. i feel that there's more than meets the eye than him just "resting" for 2 games after his start. he got no action at first that game, and apparently the only throw he made was tossing it back to the pitcher after a pickoff attempt. get a clue, loser.

is it really eating at you that much as you sit at home that a thread on the rockets bbs is sitting there unlocked with somebody's speculation that the end might be coming for bagwell? get a life. posters like you is everything that's wrong about bulletin boards."

You don't have to worry about this getting me upset and responding with some other rant because I found it hysterical. Yea...I represent the bad poster in all of you. LOL

10. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

hahahahha.....alot of people will vouch for you. classic. only thing you left off of that post was to brag about your post count. i love it. get over yourself. nothing cracks me up more than posters like you who work up a god complex....FROM A BULLETIN BOARD! honestly bro, is your life that bad that it really gets you heated that a thread that you disagree with isnt locked? i'm gonna let the baby have his bottle and no longer to respond to you. feel free to petition to get this thread locked, me banned, whatever you want to make you feel better about yourself.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yea...and thanks for misleading me into thinking Bagwell's retirement announcement was coming up. Your hilarious. You haven't seen me when I'm worked up. Think I give a crap? Nope.

12. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Bags was a good player but he is no icon.

13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

You're definately in the minority with that opinion.

14. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

If he was an real icon, a minority wouldn't even exist.

15. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

Bagwell went out of tonight's game after 2 innings with shoulder soreness. looking more and more like the end of the line folks.

The amazing thing about me.....I'm almost never wrong. Wish i was this time though.

16. bobrek

I can understand that you have your own opinion and feelings but can you explain this post of your from another thread:

"I don't think he is the greatest Astro ever by a longshot"

How can you say "by a longshot"? There are only 3 Astros who played a significant number of their years with the team that are in or may be in the hall of fame. Those three are Ryan, Biggio and Bagwell, yet you say Bagwell isn't the greatest by a longshot. Based on stats, longevity, commitment and impact on the team's performance, Bagwell is clearly in the top 3. Ask any baseball personnel man and he'll agree.

17. bobrek

No one was arguing with your reasoning that this could very well be the end of the road for Bagwell. You made a poor choice of a thread title which implied there was an announcement forthcoming and then you followed that up by demanding that folks post links to articles that, for whatever reason (even though a link was on the front page of astros.mlb.com which YOU were pointed to), you could not find.

18. Buck Turgidson

For what it's worth, the broadcast said Bagwell was interviewed by reporters after he left in the 2nd, he was said to be in good spirits & he said it was just a little extra soreness, nothing major. We'll know more in the morning. Not encouraging though.

19. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

If this BBS hasn't already proved it to you, there are always going to be some people that goes against the majority.

20. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Bags won't give the Astros the pleasure of retiring now, he will make them sweat a bit first and then retire once he gets back at the organization for the insurance claim; it had to be a humiliating experience for him.