1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the AFC South really the worst division in the league?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL wow, I didn't realize that. Honestly that's the best news I've heard all day.

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Good points. You don't think 90% is overdoing it though? It's still 90% 2 years after Comcast. Rockets 23-9, Astros look set to win 90 games.

3. Houstunna

Supporting Member

If I'm a fan, may I die a slow painful death.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, I wasn't really accusing you of it, I'm just saying that the things you are saying are things that Cowboys fans say in order to defend what has been a terrible franchise the last 2 decades for the most part.

5. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I respect the juggernaut that they are. Everywhere in the country, they will be heard.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't know how or where you get that 90% from. The media coverage tries to feed the demand of the people. I know Rockets fans who don't even pay attention to the NBA until January. The regular season games just don't mean as much. Astros have the same problem with the long season. I watched or read about almost every game and I can't even tell you how the team was doing in June. The fans that tuned off after Comcast aren't compelled to come back. And right now the team is suffering the loss of the star power of Dwight Howard. Fans are just now getting to know these new guys.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

The fact that they were losing road games makes my point. Most teams will win more games at home than on the road.
    They lost by 7 to the Raiders and also beat the Lions by 7. Not sure what you mean by your statement about the margin.

I don't care how they win. I don't care if they win by 1 or by 21. I don't care if the QB has a QBR of 5 or 95. The result is the same to me. Some people get too caught up with the QB position. This team's identity is defense and limited offense.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  8. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

be right back.

9. conquistador#11

I brought up the cowboys because they offered the best comparison. I don't know about you guys but I only started watching the Texans in 2002. It was my understanding that 2002 was their inaugural year. 15 seasons was a correct comparison since their is no history of the Texans before 2002.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Tell it to the fans, don't blame the media. We've had Rockets fans working the sports talk shows that frequently lamented that they couldn't talk more Rockets because the fans turned the channel. TV ratings, radio ratings, attendance, etc. none of it compares. Media wants to make money, not do a public service for the local teams. You want media coverage you need the fans to care more.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

2007 Texans went 1-5 in the AFC south, finishing in last place with an 8-8 record.

2016 Texans could potentially go 5-1 in the AFC south, finish in first place at 9-7.

I have a hard time raising a banner for that achievement.

Expecting the Texans to win a Superbowl before McNair dies is like expecting a Special Olympian to break a record?

Houstunna likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Even if you forget about divisions and just look at overall records... the Texans are still likely getting into the playoffs as the final seed.

Additionally, nobody's going to be able to make a strong enough case that 2 games against the Jaguars is significantly easier than 2 games against the Browns, Jets, or Chargers.

Likewise, nobody is claiming that the Texans are better than any of the other division winners (they're a clear 4 out of 4).

In the end, as people continue to be oh-so passionate about an ultimately unprovable/semantical thing... the crux of the analysis will lie in the quality of the "middle tier" teams; namely, comparing the Titans/Colts to the Bills/Bengals/Ravens/Broncos (if you want to look at the AFC alone). There are pluses and minuses across both.

13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

True. Same applies to the superhyped media coverage of northern Texas.

Supply and demand

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

only mentioned when people use it as some benchmark for how well they are performing. The 2009 Texans would be favored a touchdown over this squad and they lost the division and missed the playoffs.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

NFC West is the worst and NFC East is the best. The rest of the divisions are mostly similar. AFC South will likely have (3) .500 or better teams which should disqualify it from having a "bad" label.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well it would, but the "wrong" team won it. If the Titans or Colts won it, then the "bad" label wouldn't be there.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Or at least the "worst" label

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

BTW here's the Texans 2017 opponents:

19. HTM

HTM Member

why are we playing NE two years in a row? Why can't we play the jets, miami or buffalo?

20. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Division winner benefits.