1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is T-Mac the most naturally talented Rocket ever?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by johnnydeezy1, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Carl Mandry could dodge bullets. that takes athleticism.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

he didn't dodge them, he was hit...

3. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

jleezi1, just got b!7ch slapped, over and over and over again. rookie.. :eek:

4. chinese

chinese Member

You are crazy, you know the name of "Dream" and still ask this question?

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Damn good question by the OP. You're not going to find an unbiased answer here. Hell, be happy if you get coherent ones. Lol. Props to those that threw out Drexler and Sampson into the mix. Pippen should be in there had he ever been a Rocket. Without thinking too hard about it, the contest is among Hakeem, Drexler, and TMac but it's difficult to choose since "natural talent" is so hard to define. It's different things to different people. Maybe when I get home I'll add to the discussion (assuming the thread hasn't been crapped on by the usual suspects).

6. bloop

bloop Member

I didn't conveniently leave anything out. You're conveniently fudging the numbers. Hakeem started playing basketball when he was around 15. At "damn near the age T-mac was drafted" Hakeem was riding the pine as a redshirt at U of H. I didn't mention Dream's soccer days for the same reason I didn't mention Tmac's youth was split among a number of sports including baseball and basketball... it's not relevant to the discussion of who's more naturally talented at basketball.

OP's question isn't who's faster or jumps higher but who had a natural talent for BASKETBALL. It's not even a question about who had more talent at more sports.

Tmac had unlimited range with an effortless stroke that he barely worked on (or even really thought about during the game... as you can see from his shot selection). He had a natural passing ability, great hands and natural vision on the court. Tmac could naturally play 3 positions seamlessly. Hakeem's primary strength... his footwork is NOT natural ability it was technique. No one is born with the ability to make moves like that under the basket it comes from studying opponents and many hours in the gym. Obviously Hakeem had incredible footspeed and hands but wasn't like he just stepped on the court like Tmac with those moves. It's something that Hakeem developed over years working with Moses Malone and others. Dream was probably the most athletically center since Wilt but despite all of Hakeem's athletic ability it's not like he could have played 3 positions nor was he a natural with his shot that could extend his range like Tmac.

The question isn't who is a better player. Clearly Dream is an entire order of magnitude greater. It's who's a natural player. Tmac was more of a natural than Jordan was too. Nothing to get upset about or let pride cloud your judgment.

1 person likes this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Is heart considered talent? How about hard work? I know that may seem contradictory but it takes a certain something to push your body and mind to its limits, a certain something that not everyone may possess, naturally. That is a form of talent too, no?

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Can someone lock this thread yet? It is completely useless.

9. amaru

amaru Member

He dodged most of them lol :p

10. monster

monster Member

Hakeem....The Dream.....Olajuwon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not even close. I'm not sure watching old Youtube vids would even do him justice. McGrady was certainly gifted, but Olajuwon is arguably a top-10 all-time player.

11. sabesque

sabesque Member

Just watched Brazil v Argentina, so my answer is Scola.

12. alethios

alethios Member

13. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

So because he didn't work hard and had crappy shot selection, he's a natural? Really?

I'll give you this one as far as court vision, he was naturally born with his eyes offset. But 3 positions? Really? I'd be happy if he played one effectively enough to consistently have winning teams and/or have payoff success.

How do you know it wasn't natural? He did play soccer.. :confused:

And I guess Tracy never practiced his shot? Yeah, probably not. Just stepped on the court, closed his eyes and put up jumpers?

Here we go again about the 3 positions. Tracy could have put in any position and Hakeem would have destroyed him, just playing his 1 position.

You got that one right, "The Dream" wasn't even on the same level as Tracy, when Tracy has yet to leave the ground floor. More Natural than Jordan? That's reaching isn't it?

Don't let being Tracy's #1 fan cloud your judgement.

14. Ashes

Ashes Member

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Thanks DD...

I was about to put those names up...

Rick Barry
    Rudy T.
    Sleepy Floyd
    Lewis Lloyd (was one of the most gifted offensive player to ever wear a Rocket Jersey - He sucked on D)

16. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Bebe Kids...

We don't die, we multiply...

17. bloop

bloop Member

I know it's not natural because post moves are technique as anyone who's picked up a basketball would immediately recognize. Do you not know what post moves are? What do they have to do with soccer? Confused face.

I'm not Tmac's #1 fan. But when did you start watching basketball? Anyone who watched the NBA during his time understands that Jordan was far from the most natural basketball player even compared to some of his contemporaries like Clyde or Dominique but your ranting denying Tmac's obviously skills makes me wonder if you actually started watching basketball circa 2007... not only after Dream and Jordan's time but Tmac's prime as well.

I mean if I state the truth that at one time Tmac was as good as Kobe will that cause you to put a gun in your mouth. Come on dude.

Heart might be a born talent. Hard work is definitely a skill because it's something you have to learn from a coach or a father or w/e a little kid isn't born understanding the value of hard work in attaining your goals, it's a habit you develop. In this context though those are probably general talents/skills rather than a basketball specific one... since a guy with heart is going to have that in all aspects of his life not just with a basketball in his hand.

18. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Sir Charles Barkley

19. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

20. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

cylde drexler was way better than t-mac.

portland Drexler > orlando t-mac.

houston Drexler > houston t-mac.

hands down drexler was more talented and better. Drexler was great throughout most of his career while t-mac was great for only 2-3 years.