1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is T-Mac really a softee? (FoxSports)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CheezeyBoy22, Sep 16, 2007.

1. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Has already been proven time and again that Mcgrady has been primarily a jumpshooter, same as he was in ORL.

The problem was his jumper wasn't right due to his recent back issues and summer off because he was intructed to have no physical activity.

Besides that, it's so much easier to stop a guy who only runs one freaking play that allows you to trap him at the top of the key each and every play and double and triple team him because his teammates aren't hitting anything Stevie Wonder could manage to.

Looking at the golden boy touted as the best in the league compared to Mcgrady in the clutch

Tmac 82% of the time shot jumpers and at 44%fg

While Kobe 84% of the time at 41%fg

Tmac shot 15% close shots and 18% inside

Kobe shot 13% inside while 16% inside.

Comparing the two, i don't see your definition of soft as being valid.

What I do know is that Mcgrady ran in a far less efficient offense and managed to stay on par with the so called top guard in the league.

2. dsounG

dsounG Member

My friend wanted me to post this...

According to 82games, in crunch time T-Mac is better pound for pound in the clutch than Melo, AI, Kobe and GA. He shoots a higher % in clutch than all but AI, scores more in clutch than AI or Melo (and only a few points less than GA and Kobe), and passing/rebounding/ballhandling stats are overall better than those other players. Not to mention all of his clutch performances throughout the year (05-06 he had GW vs Lakers, huge 3 and block on JRich/Warriors to send game to OT, amazing performance in clutch against Bulls, big 4th quarter vs Sonics to win game, then this past season led team from behind in 4th and in last few minutes dominated Artest to get a win over the Kings, his game sealing shot in game 2 vs Jazz.....the guy is not a choker).

So please, give me a break.

Also, game 7 was not T-Mac's fault. He scored 8pts in the 4th after he led 2 HUGE rallies to get the Rockets the lead after being down by 16 at one point. JVG benched him for awhile in the 4th, and then Yao started getting on a roll and scored 15pts in the 4th. Neither of them were the problem (especially T-Mac...he led his team back with huge 2nd half charges in all 4 home games to get team in place to win)...Boozer's 35/14 and the lack of defensive rebounding in the final minutes of the 4th were the problem.

3. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

AGAIN, if u watch, the greatest of the greats take jump shots at the end of games most of the time b/c down the stretch, calls are rarely made. jordan, kobe, bird... all did that.

i still don't understand why tmac gets blamed for game 7. if anything, he should be blamed for game 6.

4. bigkstrong

bigkstrong Contributing Member

That's exactly right. T-Mac has mad game, but he has to learn to have the killer instinct. He tends to relax when the Rox get a little lead. In that situation, I would like to see him go for blood instead of becoming complacent. If it means sacrificing your body in the playoffs, you've got to do it. There is no guarantee that you are going to get back in. Put it all on the line like my man D-Wade did in the championship run. I don't mind T-Mac picking his spots in the regular season to preserve the body, but the playoffs is the time for going all out.

I leave with this: True champions don't celebrate until they get the ring!

5. McGradySNKT

Name a wing man with a better playoff average than Tracy since you think he relaxes in the post season.

6. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

again, until tmac gets out of the first round, all these questions will remain. all the critics can say anything and everything b/c he has not won.

the 29ppg, 7rpg, 7apg show he does deliver in the playoffs. now he just has to deliver WINS. hopefully he has the help where in game 7, his team won't be down by 16 and he has to do everything to bring them back and then be expected to finish.

basically, he has to be AROD + mariano rivera for the rockets. now we need someone to help tmac out where he can be AROD most of the time.

7. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

I'm not gonna judge either T-mac or Yao for their previous performances, but I will call both T-mac and Yao softees if they can't get out of the first round this year.

8. bigkstrong

Averages don't win championships. Ask Sir Charles, Kevin Garnett, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Patrick Ewing, etc.

Heart and desire win them. Remember Michael Jordan, Mario Elie, Isaiah Thomas, Larry Bird, Robert Horry, etc.

Forget the stats....impact the team when they need you T-Mac!

9. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

When T-Mac finally antes up and wins a playoff series, I will stop calling him soft, until then, I will continue to do so, and he is still my fav player(unless he fails this season which is the final straw).

10. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Haven't heard anything on Tmac lately, anyone know what he's been up to? Better be working on his jumper!

11. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

so when your team is down 16 pts and he brought them back, if he wasn't there, it would have been a 30 pt blowout. again, someone could have made a shot here or grab a rebound there and we would have one. u can't rely on tmac to do EVERYTHING.

if anything, tmac is blamed for game 6. he was pathetic in that game.

12. rebel_hr

rebel_hr New Member

sometimes he is god,or a pathetic man...

13. McGradySNKT

LOL. Thanks for NOT answering my question and completely going off topic of your post i was responding to.

I figured you would ramble on about nothing.

14. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

man, other teams know that if mcgrady drives to the basket all you have to do is foul him hard and that's it - he won't be coming back!

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

TMac faded in game 7, he admitted to being tired, too. You can say he's soft for getting tired, for not going to "the next level," for being human.

But this is a guy who carried the damn team out of neccesity for the entire season, especially when Yao was out, the guy who had to score and set up his teammates. He got tired, who wouldn't? Kevin Garnett looked pretty tired, Paul Pierced looked pretty tired for much of last season, too, because they couldn't carry their respective teams. You think Kobe didn't look tired?

I'd give guys who contributed to the success of the team a pass on their shortcomings. These guys are not the Rockets problems, the dead weights on the team were.

16. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

kobe did admit he was tired physically and mentally from the lakers giving him no help after both suns series :confused: . is he soft?

17. bigkstrong

Michael Jordan was tired in Game 5 of the 1997 Finals. He even had the flu.

18. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

They wouldn't be down by 16 if Tmac had come out on fire. He was shooting blanks guarded by 6'1 Fisher. Which should have been total domination.

19. liangqj

liangqj Member

T-mac is not better than Kobe and Jordan.That is the fact.
    The miraculous thing he had done was 13pts in 35s.

20. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Kobe > McGrady
    Kobe<<<<<<<<<MJ
    McGrady > Melo,Wade
    McGrady = LeBron
    Thats my opinion...