1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Steve Francis a Rockets Legend?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by drowsy12, Mar 17, 2014.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

We agreed that T-Mac is a Rockets legend? When the **** did that happen?!? T-Mac is not even a "legend" for the Magic or Raptors for crying out loud. You have to be a success to even be considered a legend. T-Mac was a perennial loser.

2. pippsux

pippsux Member

I never agreed that tmac is a legend, so let me start with that. Stevie Franchise was one of my favourites on his way to being a team legend until he sabotaged it for a super bowl party.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

DD doesn't feel Drexler is a Rocket legend? This franchise does not win a second title without him, and he was a superstar player on that team, not just a roleplayer.

4. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

What makes Yao Ming more legendary than Steve Francis?

Steve Francis built the Toyota Center

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

To be a legend, you have to lead your team deep into the playoffs a few times and/or have a prominent role on a championship team.

Francis and McGrady did neither. Not legends.

Big difference between a legend and a flash in the pan....

#45 ima_drummer2k, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  6. Ganky142

Ganky142 Member

No I do not thank Stevie could be considered a Rockets legend. I think you could call him a Rockets great, if that makes any sense at all but certainly not a legend. He didn't really take the Rockets anywhere and I think the single best move he made for the Rockets was drafting Yao Ming. Individually I would not take anything away from the Franchise. He was a great PG in his own right, he just couldn't take the Rockets anywhere.

I think Mac is a different case though. I think he's better than a Rockets great but he's like at the front door of Rockets legend simply because he couldn't get the Rockets anywhere as the only player on the team. He was more impressive to watch than Steve was and he is simply a better player than Steve was/is. But his earlier part of his career it was just Mac and a (not quite so dominant yet) Yao with a bunch of old timers against a stacked Mavs team. Every other time was because it was just Mac alone or the same reason as I mentioned previously.

7. Ganky142

Ganky142 Member

Oh and may I add, in terms of talent, Mac is up there with the Rockets Legends.

8. arjun

arjun Member

He was our post-Hakeem Era. Yes. Steve Francis is a Houston Legend along with Yao, Tmac, and eventually James Harden/Dwight Howard (touchwood)

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Drexler gets Rockets legend status because of the championship and his run with Hakeem on the Cougars. Steve was good, but he never accomplished anything of note here -- now he's better known for his public appearances where he appears wasted.

10. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

With a nickname like the franchise, I'd have to say he deserves legend status... he brought excitement and attention to the city, and he played an important part in welcoming Yao and helping him settle into Houston.

11. Mr.Rocket85

Mr.Rocket85 Member

^This^

12. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

For me, legends end up being faces of team through eras. Steve was the face of the era between Dream and Yao/Tracy so, Yes. If people want to define legends by rings then the Rockets have one legend only. Steve provided great moments and made us competitive on rather average teams/overcame terrible front office decisions. I STILL THINK HE BEAT VINCE IN THAT DUNK CONTEST! ANYONE ELSE WITH ME!? Oh, just me? ok......

13. BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA

Yea you're on your own with that one.
    VC had arguably the best showing in the history of the dunk contest.

14. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

The Franchise isn't a Rockets legend in my opinion.

If people want to nitpick TMac's lack of playoff success, even though he played better in the playoffs but never had the right supporting cast except for '07 when Yao was healthy, Steve didn't have any notable success. The most the Rockets ever won with Steve as the alpha dog was 45. First season with TMac, we won 51 and continually won at least 50 games a season except for the one year everyone was injured and only won 34.

Steve just doesn't have the accolades necessary to be a Rockets Legend. He is in the tier below. Player that were great but never amounted to what they should have.

15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I don't care how much heart and desire he had, the fact he couldn't even run a fast-break correctly; NO LEGEND FOR YOU!

16. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

No. Maybe a Rockets "Hero".
    "Heros get remembered, but legends never die."