1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Steph Curry the GOAT?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Cohete Rojo, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

It's more than a Beard vs Curry question. When comparing a player's overall game against guys who have won DPOYs, saying "his defense isn't that bad" is a silly argument.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

PER is the dumbest stat of all time. Curry is the greatest shooter of all time though.

3. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

You mean one season or an entire career? If the latter, GTFO. :) He's not even Kobe's level.

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I had no idea PER was an advanced stat.

5. dmorey

dmorey Member

why are we even talking about this?
    we should be asking can anyone replace steph curry as the GOAT?

6. Asian Sensation

Teleport Present day Curry to the late 80s-90s.

He'd struggle against the handcheck rule. Guys like Mookie Blaylock, Stockton would've given him all kinds of fits.

Isiah Thomas and the Bad Boys would lock him the F down.

Gary Payton would've ate him up for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

You can't be considered the GOAT unless you played during the 80s or 90s. That goes for Lebron as well. (Sorry not sorry).

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Simply put, PER privileges high usage players and does little to account for defense. You might as well just look at the traditional boxscore numbers such as points, rebounds, assists, etc.

8. joeson332

joeson332 Member

BASED ON A USELESS STAT?!!

GO

AWAY.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Please, give the nostalgia a break.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

That sounds like a good reason to use PER - it favors those players who are the focal point of their team's offense.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is what I don't get. I genuinely wonder if some people who are just beginning to delve into the Curry obsession realize that his career has been thoroughly average in terms of greatness.

12. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

curry's numbers are on the way down, westbrook will lead in the PER category at the end of this season

13. Oracle

Oracle Member

I find this discussion a bit amusing. Steph Curry the GOAT? Maybe he'll be when he retires, but right now he is nowhere near that. His shooting stats are just about identical (except free-trows) with Omri Casspi (sure, if Casspi would shoot from situations that Steph shoots, they would not be).

I must admit that the Warriors have found almost the perfect combination of a scorer and the team very much comparable to MJ's Bulls. However, Steph was less than convincing in the Finals and the Warriors won it primarily because of the Cavs running out of players and Iguodala. That was never the case with MJ. He came to the Finals to win it all and nobody could stop him from doing it (and believe me, they tried). Bron comes closer to MJ in that category. At this point, I'm not enough motivated to bring in other examples (to compare MJ, not Steph, with them).

14. jogo

jogo Member

He's the goat. But you have to give credit to Klay. I mean, he is the best at in he league.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

A 33 PER is amazing. Even though its not a perfect player metric, such a feat shouldn't just be dismissed.

But I'm sure a player has had a 2-month stretch with greater than a 33 PER several times in the past. I guess by the time this season is over his will drift down to around 30. That still would be one of the all-time great seasons, but not necessarily GOAT.

16. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Yes yes yes, his offense is great. I watch games just to watch what he does on offense, but and this is a big butt, he is one of the worst defenders in the league. He just can't physically guard people because he is not a great athlete. Which makes is offensive outbursts even more impressive. How he looks, is how he plays defense, like a baby girl.

17. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

If he keeps this up, this season will go down as the GOAT season.

If he keeps this up for 7-8 more years at this level, plus a few rings, then he could challenge for the all time GOAT title. It won't happen. He isn't repeating this season.

18. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

Uh Wardell Stephen Curry is retired and is the color commentator for the Charlotte Hornets (no racial)

19. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

This. I believe his PER was about 35 in the month of November, so he's already fallen off a bit. I'd say he'll settle around 30. I also don't think his near .700 TS% is sustainable.

20. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

[​IMG]

He's really damn good but let's not get carried away, this is his first year that is in any way out of line with what the All-Star guards of any given era (Archibald, Wade, KJ, etc) were doing at this point in their careers. Still, could certainly be believable candidate for top-3 PG all time if he stays healthy.

#40 CDrex, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015