1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Sam Dekker Really Better Than Corey Brewer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thumbs, Jun 26, 2015.

1. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Or the pick can still be traded....duh.

It is insurance in case Brewer leaves, but more then likely put into a trade.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

BPA

Best Player Available does not take into account team needs. Drafting for team needs frequently wastes draft picks. We already know DM's drafting strategy, it hasn't changed in the whole time he has been in Houston.

3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

he has potential to be a decent 3pt shooter, and has good size for his position, and potential to be a solid role player. i'll take him over brewer. rockets need as much help they can get with their shooting

4. Mitchmantc

Mitchmantc Member

Yeah! Rookie PGs never contribute success!

:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I don't think so. Brewer is a seasoned vet trying to play on a team with no real half court set.

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's rare. And wasn't he 24 his rookie season? That's also rare for American players, especially these days.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

It's not an exact science. You may like something in one player but another player has a skill set that fits your team better. BPA is just a thought but in reality it's all a crap shoot. So many variables and some guys no matter how good they look you never know.

8. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Agree. Also, as an earlier poster pointed out, if Morey were going for the BPA, why didn't he instead draft Bobby Portis, whom many draft "experts" were touting as the 12th pick, which would be far superior to Dekker and Harrell?

9. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He's better than Kevin Durant.

10. hakeemthagreat

No offense, but this "every role player can be replaced" logic is just utterly stupid. Brewer (along w/ Smith ) was THE reason we got past the Clippers to the WCF. He saved Harden's reputation after Harden as benched that 4th quarter. Had we lost that game the media destroys James Harden

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

20 years....

That was before players started leaving school really early and coming in raw...also, back then, most teams had like 3, maybe even 4 "scrubs" on the roster. Talent has increase significantly now, there's enough talent to go around so teams aren't forced to play rookies.

12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I think rosters were deeper then because there was 2 less teams so thats 24 guys that wouldn't be in todays NBA.

13. ggeorge115

ggeorge115 Member

i'd rather get a nba experienced point guard than draft a pg to help us immediately. pgs that drops to 18th pick isnt going to help us this season most likely. hopefully free agency would be in our favor :/

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Can't say I agree...there's so much more talent now, it makes up the difference. The last few guys on teams back then, they were pretty bad. Petruska, Eric Riley, Cureton, etc.

Also look at the names in the draft recently. A lot more recognizable names, especially 2nd rounders. A late first round then, was like the current late 2nd round.

#74 RV6, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i'm not saying you are wrong but that is a very hard comparison to make for me.

16. zzpot

zzpot Member

this is all , cray.. cray.. can white black man get a vote on food???

17. zzpot

zzpot Member

ok i will go for food. feed her kids. then walk away.

18. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

I think the Rockets can't have all these guys without them just sitting on the bench.

My preference would be to keep Brewer, Josh Smith and Nick Johnson.

I don't know how Dekker, KJ McDaniels, and Papanikolau will even get minutes. Might as well waive them.

I had my doubts with Josh Smith before the playoffs. His performance against Dallas though and the fact that he seems to play motivated when playing with Dwight means that Daryl Morey ought to look at keeping Josh Smith.

But definitely keep Corey Brewer and Nick Johnson.

19. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Not a huge fan of Brewer's game unless it comes at a bargain price. He's essentially a replacement level player. He's a below average shooter that struggles in half court sets but excels in transition. On defense he can be quick to stay in front but instead uses his speed to gamble for steals, which is why his high steal count doesn't really result in noticeably improved defensive metrics. Not sure what Dekker can bring defensively (probably not much as a rookie) but offensively he looks like he has good vision and is a decent shooter. He needs to add range to be effective in this league. He's almost certainly going to play at replacement level or below as a rookie. Brewer is a better option now but it all depends on his price tag.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If Brewer can't shoot consistently he is no better than an 8th or 9th energy player.

DD