1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Sam Dekker Really Better Than Corey Brewer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thumbs, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

KJ McDaniels

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

so you read an article online and posted like you know exactly what Dekker is as a player. it's not a secret that of course he will need to be more consistent with his shot but saying its awful is far from the truth. He has a very capable 3 pt shot and has shown plenty of it at Wisconsin. An all around player isn't going to have an NBA ready 3 pter. thats part of the process of joining the league. You get better.

3. ibm

ibm Member

yeah. that will be my guess if i have to.

4. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

There is no logic to drafting for need with the 18th pick.

5. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

The article further reinforces my argument. I've seen Dekker play. He's wildly inconsistent, and hitting a couple of shots in a tournament won't simply cut it. Plus, he doesn't even have a capable college 3-point shot, let alone NBA. But wait a minute, I thought you started calling people stupid because a PG would have to develop his game, yet your damage controlling for Sam by saying he has to develop his three? FOH.

6. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Ariza has trade value, for the right prize especially if it solves our problem at PG. Josh Smith can start and Brewer backs him up. Dekker? LOL, let him prove himself if he is worth to get play time first through summer league and training camp.

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

Did you not see how McHale treats young PGs last year? Our coach would rather play grandpas in the playoffs at PG than give Nick Johnson playing time. Isaiah Canaan held his own in his brief stint as a starter and McHale pinned him to the bench shortly after.

And you think next year will be any different?

We need an experienced PG for the simple fact that McHale won't play anyone else besides that.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you're referring to Rubio then wait a minute he's been in the league for how many years oh 3 years, tell everyone exactly what has developed. yeah thats progress :rolleyes:

now your comparing that to a rookie stepping foot into the NBA for the very first time. thats a great comparison:rolleyes: hitting a couple shots? he was easily 1 of the top players in the tourney let alone the country. that's pretty good for just "hitting a couple of shots". stop with the exaggerating when trying to make a point

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

what makes more sense for a nba contender? drafting a middle round, NOT EVEN LOTTERY pg where it will probably take at least a few seasons to be fully trusted (and that's even if everything pans out) for a team in win now mode or drafting a more NBA ready player with lottery talent that just needs to continue to strengthen the skillsets he already has. there's a difference between strengthening a skill and developing one. If you don't know the difference then you should probably do some research.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It could mean that Dekker is the guy going out too.

A team like Denver would probably value young players like Dekker over Ariza any ways.

The pick was just about getting the best player on the board.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Corey Brewer (when he was on the court) was averaging -4.5 per game in the playoffs where he was +5.2 in the regular season. I think a team trying to win it all sees that as a flag.

Looking at his stats, he was scoring about the same in the regular season vs the playoffs, but I always thought Corey's steals, blocks, assists and rebounds were what made him effective. He just wasn't as active in those other areas. Again, it's not a deal killer for me, but it's definitely a flag.

Sam Dekker might have that ability to show up on the big NBA stage like he did in the big dance. In his 6 big dance games, he beat his reg season scoring average 5 times... by a lot. In his one game he didn't meet his reg season average, he was 2 points shy. You can conclude that he is likely a playoff type player based on that. He's got a little Horry in him for sure because he knows how to elevate his game when everyone is watching.

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Wait.. you think Josh Smith is going to start at the 3? Be aware that the Pistons tried that. It failed.

14. Mimex

Mimex Member

In
    Dekker
    Harrell

Out
    Papanikolaou
    Dorsey
    Jones

IMHO.

15. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

True, but he can easily be playing half of the game at PF anyway when we play small. So long he's capable of defending the 3, which he is. What we will miss is having Ariza guarding the best G/SF on the other team to free up Harden.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I dont think picking Dekker had anything to do with the current roster...

But that being said, I'd love to see him get the chance to prove he's better than Brewer. I think he can be by the end of the season. Brewer is unique, but if this team can take the next step and stop fooling around at important times, then Brewer is not needed. Dekker can, at the very least, match his defense and streaky shooting. He's better at the rim too.

#56 RV6, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  17. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

+1 :grin:

18. Airdough

Airdough Member

The better question will be who of Portis or Dekker has the better NBA career as it looks like those were the only true BPA options at our pick.

In others news, if Charlotte is turning down multiple firsts for the number 9 pick, it might have been impossible to move up to get a Winslow anyway.

19. Airdough

Airdough Member

I also meant to add Justin Anderson to that list since was an athletic shooter that we could've used off the bench.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought it makes TJ expendable.