1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Ryan Anderson's 3-point percentage an artifact?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Oct 15, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Keep in mind, too, that Harden got fouled on 3s more than any other TEAM -- 124 times. Not to say that will happen this year, as more will just be non-shooting fouls, but it was a major consideration when looking at any Harden stats for last year, wrt TS% from three.

He shot 756 threes, and 124 times he was fouled. So 880 threes but only ~756 of them went down as attempts. (I think he made only 2 of them when fouled.)

Deckard and DonKnock like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

In training camp they talked about getting Anderson more open corner 3pt shots. We did not see many opportunities in that spot in preseason. Maybe they were holding things back. We'll see.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You know what would be fun? And by fun I mean, fun, as long as I didn't have to do the work - look at the best and worst open shooting %, lineups, players etc.

I mean you would expect it to be totally random and over time, uniform for most, or else it could reveal something so shocking as to disrupt your very soul.

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

They also show the stats for all of this as well.

For instance; 53.2% of andersons shot attempts where catch and shoot 3s and only 11.5% where pull up 3s. Couple that with 53.9% of his shots where with 0 dribbles from 3, 8.5% with 1 dribble from 3 and 2.2% with 2 dribbles from 3.

So obviously, he catches and shoots wide open 3s. Pretty much that's it but at an elite level and an elite distance.

Compare to say Harden

36.2% of his shots where pull up 3s and only 12.4% where catch and shoot 3s. Couple that with 15.5% of his shots where with 7+ dribbles from 3, 14.2% with 3-6 dribbles from 3, 6.6% with 1-2 dribbles from 3 and 13.1% with 0 dribbles.

So as you can tell, he doesn't get or take many spot up catch and shoot 3s and actually shoots the majority of creating his own.

Btw: he shot 33.2% from 3 on pull-ups and 38.9% on catch and shoot 3s

DonKnock and Easy like this.
  5. BigMaloe

I think he would b amazing in the corner if he would just pull the flipping trigger.

But I worry, because his release is too slow, and rotating to the corner is a quicker rotation for elite defenders/defenses. And if you rotate quick enough he will hesitate/pump fake and it's for naught

#45 BigMaloe, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. BigMaloe

Well I can make a list of best catch and shoot 3s by %. Qualifiers are 10mpg, 41 games played, greater than 1 3pa.

Top 10 in order:
    Pau Gasol 54.4
    Chris Paul 49.3
    Kylie Irving 47.9
    Kemba Walker 47.7
    Darren Collison 47.0
    Jason Smith 46.8
    Gary Harris 46.6
    Allen Crabbe 46.4
    Lance Thomas 46.3
    Tie-Joe Ingles 46.0
    Tie-Steph Curry 46.0

Changing the qualifier to greater than 3 3pa per game gets you the true elites.

Top 10 in order:
    Gary Harris 46.6
    Allen Crabbe 46.4
    Steph Curry 46.0
    Kyle Korver 45.4
    Jj Reddick 44.9
    Otto Porter 44.4
    Nick Young 44.2
    Klay Thompson 43.8
    Dion Waiters 43.4
    Tie-Kawhi Leonard 42.9
    Tie-Zach Lavine 42.9

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@Deuce Yeah, I don't suspect Ryno to get too many more open looks in the corner.

What I'm hoping for is having solid offense after he catches a pass and decides not to shoot. Often times last year, when he didn't shoot, the possession often resets. Not always, sometimes he can swing to an open corner three, but enough that it was a major way to defend us.

This year with two superstars on the floor, that should allow some better play-continuation when he gets a pass and doesn't like the shot...i.e. an off-ball Paul or Harden should be a simple pass away, or be available for a DHO...make sense?

DonKnock and BigMaloe like this.
  8. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

That's exactly what's going to happen.

But alas we still have the CLA going around panicking because they found out what the triangle is recently and are now propagating us scrapping the entire offense to try and do our best Golden State impression:rolleyes:

Deckard likes this.
  9. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Another #reverseracismonryno thread, very original.