1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is running every day good or bad for you?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CountyClerk, May 19, 2009.

1. PointForward

PointForward Member

holy crap @ the 1000 calorie diet.. I'm a college student, and I don't call it a day unless I take in 4000 calories

you must be wrong man.. 1000 calories = 2 large fries from McD's.. I have those for a snack between my 4 mcdoubles :D , and I'm not fat :eek:

sorry for the swoly impersonation

2. TheBigAristotle

**** the police!

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I do some sort of cardio everyday...I run 1 - 3 miles after I do weights and the other days, I do a class, some of which are sprint based...

I can't run on treadmills as they hurt my back/knees...

I personally think running everyday is bad in the sense that your body needs a rest...if your jogging, then IMHO, you won't see dramatic results vs. sprinting for example...

4. aghast

aghast Member

If you're young and your knees can take it, there's probably nothing wrong with running six days a week; if not, three days of cardio a week is likely enough. If you can already handle 40 minute jogs, you probably weren't starting from scratch, unlike most people trying to get back into shape. Other than toning your legs, running won't make you stronger, though.

As far as resting between workouts, I believe that's meant for lifting routines. I was always taught you should take at least a day off, preferably two or three, before working the same muscle group. That's why you see people who lift everyday at the gym break up the muscle groups they work: by day, usually some variation of chest/shoulders/triceps, back/stomach/biceps, legs. If you do start lifting weights, adding muscle increases your resting metabolism, burning fat faster than merely running alone.

As long as I'm dispensing internet advice, taken with its appropriate measure, I'd also suggest not listening to the 1000 calorie-a-day anorexic above. Good that it works for him, but working the same muscles day after day is a bad idea, as far as my understanding of the long-standing conventional wisdom goes. (Also, the above daily regimen completely ignores shoulder and chest muscles. Also a bad idea.) If you want to get stronger, start weight training before you run, and eat enough calories to gain muscle mass and maintain/gain weight. Assuming you're not a vegetarian, you don't need to buy expensive supplements; just eat more. If you maintain your current gut or it begins to outpace the muscles after a few weeks, cut back / adjust accordingly. You'll start to see improvements in a few weeks, and can develop a noticeably different physique in as little as two or three months.

5. Pimphand24

Pimphand24 Member

If your plan is to bulk up, I understand that it is better to run after lifting. However, I take protein drinks right after lifting. Would running soon after taking protein, divert that protein away from my muscle groups that I just lifted with? Is it better to run/cardio on separate days then?

6. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

there's a reason why sprinters are bulky and marathon runners are slim and fragile looking

it just depends how you run, but opinions aside, the running long periods of time will cause cardiovascular problems, run 3-4 hours a week, if that means 30mins a day? sure

slightly elevated heart rate is good for you, pushing for the maximum is no good, fatigue while cardio = VERY VERY BAD

all you need to do is break a sweat while doing cardio

7. rocket3forlife2

No, but you do want to get blood pumping through your muscles and very light cardio is just one way to accomplish that. There is no way someone could run a marathon and then expect to lift weights and build muscle.

8. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Stick to the natural stuff..

I have a little pill container for each day of the week for all the supplements that I take.

1)Glucosamine-Really good to lubricate your joints. As you get older you will feel pain during weight lifting or running because of the stress you put on your joints. This will definetley help with that.
    2)Multi vitamin-Good for general health and maintaining a strong immune system
    3)Flaxseed Oil-Omega 3 amino acid which is a good body building supplement
    4)Fish Oil-Omega 3 amino acid...I take both Flaxseed and Fish because I hear the benefits are better when you take them together
    5)Glutamine-Another amino acid for muscle recovery. You can take this in pill form but its better in powder because you can get a much larger and necessary dosage. It's also convenient because it can be mixed in a protein shake.
    6)Calcium-I've been reducing my milk intake due to the sugar content so I've taken this as a replacement for the calcium. Good to take in conjunction with the Glocosamine.

If I'm missing any essentials someone please educate me...

9. kikimama

kikimama Member

Of course it's bad for you. Look at those tracker runners, they are so lazy and FAT!! Don't get me started on those out of shape morons in the NBA!! ROFL LMAO1!!!!

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Back when I was in college, I ran 4 miles and ate 500 calories every day.

After 2 months, I had lost about 50 lbs.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I bought running shoes, and they should be here in 8-10 days, which is now 8-10 days cause it's Memorial Weekend.

But when it comes in, I hope to use it at Memorial Park.

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Did you go to college in Somalia?

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Nah...went to UT for a few years and ran at gregory.

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

My 2 cents:

I'd suggest starting with elliptical, then shifting to some treadmill, then to outside jogging. Plunging straight in has a high risk of developing stress reactions (like shin splints).

Once you get to being comfortable, there's nothing wrong with running everyday (really, 6 days a week). But it's better to cycle through a rotation: slow jog day, pushing it day or speed work, cycling, treadmill, elliptical, swimming, etc. The more varied your weekly routine the better.

15. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

how do you guys alternate weight training with running?

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

EDIT-just noticed it's a bumped thread..

What are your goals?

If you don't care a lot for running/cardio, a really clean diet with weight training will give you good results, maybe even better, than with cardio.

#56 RV6, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm going to say bad. Your body needs to rest.

19. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I do weight training 5-6x a week and cardio 2-3x a week. If you do both in one session, ALWAYS do weights before cardio as the cardio will deplete your glycogen stores and leave you weak for lifting. Conversely, using up your glycogen stores on the weights will put you in fat-burning mode sooner when you do cardio. I see too many people drain themselves with a long cardio session then have nothing left when they go to the weights. Every single one of these people is either really out of shape, or at best has the dreaded skinny-fat look.

Agree. I was pushing it a bit too much by doing 25-30 min of HIIT every day (other than leg day) for a couple weeks, but that was probably too much as I've started to develop some knee pain. Taking a week off cardio (hopefully that's enough for my knee to recover) then I'll go with the aforementioned 2-3x a week HIIT.

20. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

well i have very crappy cardio right now (like 8 minute miles at best) and somewhat skinny fat so i want both, i know it is better to stick to one but i think i will be content with sub 6 minute miles (at least 5k) and 170 pounds ~11% bf @ 5'10