1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Paul Millsap Daryl Morey's free agent target?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mike_lu, Nov 24, 2012.

1. prs325

prs325 Member

Don't know if you've read the tweets but I don't think anyone sane GM would wants to touch Royce with a 100 ft pole. At this point, he's a negative value.

Also a trio of Harden, Millsap and Asik/Lin/Parsons is an underwhelming collection of all-stars compared to Miami or LAL, which are the teams that the Rox will have to compete for a championship. The Rockets are looking for a true all-star, or someone young enough that will be an all-star in a year or two and develop with the young guns at the same time. We have had a bunch of fringe all-star players or solid role players over the years and the team is looking for a legitimate star preferably a post presence that could be paired with Harden. Sadly, as good as as Millsap is, I dont think he is that player.

2. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just afraid that he will raise his value if he is indeed traded to the Rockets. If he is here, then he'll get 35+ minutes and produce good numbers. He's sharing the load with 3 other post players in Utah right now so we may be looking at a discount this summer.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey wants Millsap? Lol, no.

[​IMG]

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Millsap is good, but not the answer. Someone will overpay for him, I hope it will not be us. I would rather wait it out a year than do that.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I really hope you don't believe that. This team with Millsap has a ceiling of a 5 or 6 seed, with growth in the next few years and all.

6. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not if Lin gets out of his funk, Parsons continues his great play, Asik is still going strong, and some people from our bench develops.

7. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Millsap IS the answer..

dude is lunchpail dedicated country strong type with serious flash to his game when the time calls for it.

8. prs325

prs325 Member

Thats a lot of ifs...

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

There's 2 types of moves

1) A bargain player thats a GOOD FIT. Retain the team you have and add the player in, instead of having to "give to get" and losing too much.

2) Superstar talent at WHATEVER the cost.

We know about all the superstars and perennial All stars

I'd say Paul Millsap is as SOLID a GOOD FIT bargain option as there is. With players like Kevin Love and Blake Griffin, you'd have to get rid of many pieces to get them. Paul Millsap can be had at far less loss, while still having the same competitive benefit.

(No to pseudo max or near-max players like Al Jefferson). Millsap has that rotten Jazz baggage on him, but if he was acquired I could live with it.

1 person likes this.
  10. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Trade for him not sign in free agency

11. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

If given the choice, why give up something when you could have him for nothing but cap room?

12. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

13. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Because I get a "trial period" if I trade for him. Also trading guaranteed contracts for him gives us extra cap if we don't think he fits our system and let him leave on summer. Gives our rookie PFs playing time and we get the cap space for max player+ other high quality role players

14. rogower

rogower Member

If you have a player on your roster, then you have his Larry Bird rights, which makes you the overwhelming favorite to re-sign him, if you want to re-sign him, because you can offer him a lot more money than anybody else can. It also allows you to sign-and-trade him to someone if you want to go that route. Basically, you trade for the guy to give yourself control over the situation.

There is also the obvious possibility that he signs with some other team, if you don't trade for the guy.

Oh, and he represents a big upgrade this season, and the sooner you trade for him, the more likely it becomes that you make the playoffs this season which means additional revenue.

15. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

We already have plenty of cap space, and I'd be very surprised If we acquired a player like Millsap on an expiring without full intent of re-signing him no matter what. Letting him walk would be an admission of failure. Besides, there is 7 years of tape on him, don't think a few months on the Rockets should change your opinion of him too much.

16. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Turn to NBA TV and watch him play.

17. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I think Milsap would be an upgrade over Patterson but I think the move would hinder the growth of Dmo and Jones. Is it a high reward move? I dont think he is worth his contract.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Way too pessimistic. You're underestimating the caliber of talent the Rockets have now, or you're underestimating Millsap, or both.

19. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I'm realistic. Lin will never be above-average. Harden has borderline superstar ability, but not true-superstar. Parsons is a solid player who can be an above average starter - same with Asik, but neither will ever be all-star caliber.

The bench has nothing of note, other than some rooks who may or may not develop with our organization's questionable approach to their development.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

Glad you've decided that after 13 games. What makes those 13 games outweigh the 25 starts with the Knicks, which were WELL above average?

Are you nuts? Have you been watching the same guy? He's already getting double teamed more than Carmelo Anthony, who could be classified as a borderline superstar. Harden is 23. Anthony is 28.

Harden is already playing at a borderline superstar level, and if you think he's at his ceiling, then you're crazy. 23 year olds are not as good as they can be almost ever.

Maybe, maybe not. There is a chance for both of them. They've had their all star caliber games and their mediocre games. Young guys, have more development to do just like Harden, although perhaps not quite as much. I don't think there is a high chance of getting an all star out of these two, but there is still a chance.

Morris, Jones, and Motiejunas all have notable ceilings. Any one of those three could evolve into a borderline all star. In the case of D-Mo I think he has an all star ceiling.