1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Paul Millsap Daryl Morey's free agent target?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mike_lu, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Kevin love or bust. Milsap is not enough to make this team a contendwr

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Dwight Howard?

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

As is, nobody, unless you think we have a shot at either Howard or Paul, which I don't.

I just don't think it's a good idea to spend money just because you have it. There are other ways to use cap space to your advantage -- in trades it could come in very handy in trades for example.

Again, I do like Millsap, I just don't think he fits this team's direction and while he'd certainly help us win a few more games, I just don't think (hope) that's the goal anymore.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Even though there were low rumblings starting to increase about the Thunder having to do something with either Harden or Ibaka, nobody really honestly thought Harden was available the way he was, either, right?

I mean I completely agree with you... but DM has bought himself benefit of the doubt wrt waiting for something to fall into your lap, so to speak.

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I think we have a chance at Dwight Howard, at least a MUCH bigger chance than before.

We have the media (Lin), the youth, the talent and another all-star (Harden). This is a team set up for one superstar veteran to take over.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Millsap is a great player that would be really nice on the Rockets but I think he is exactly the type of player Daryl Morey will avoid. He is good enough that he will cost a significant portion of the salary cap, enough to prevent us from being able to go after a max salary free agent all-star caliber player. As good as Millsap is I don't think he is a big enough upgrade to make us a contender nor do I think he is an all-star player.

7. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

I like Milsap and he definitely makes this team better. But Morey has been saying that he needs another all-star-type player; someone who can be our legitimate second option and I'm not sure he's that guy.

I wouldn't mind getting him but if he's asking for max, then i'm not sure i'd be good with that.

8. junk151

junk151 Member

You weren't kidding about long post :)

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Currently no one, but you don't know who might become available... ala James Harden..

We're currently the youngest team in the league, we have time to wait to see who might become available in the following seasons....

It's better to be patient, then be impatient, and go all in on a good but not great player...

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

David Lee is probably getable, ultimately, for a couple of youngs and/or draft pick.

You may not want him for the same reason he is getable - 3 more years after this year at $13+. But I'm not enough of a cap expert to determine if that prevents us from making other max signings?

He strikes me as a slightly better Millsap.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Millsap is not going to get much better.

But I can see Morey going after him, a short about 3 year deal....might be what is best actually.

Love, Aldridge, Cousins are not going any where any time soon. So you'd at least have a very good PF until they do. Would have to be at a reasonable price though.

12. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Morey stated on PTI that we have Harden for at least 6 more years, so we are going to be patient.

13. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I think we have about 2 years before we can develop our youth into contender status. That means looking at the 2014 free agency which I can see a number of options opening up if we can develop talent and accumulate more assets. So I'm okay with any moves between now and then that don't tie up cap space for that free agency. Bima suggested it and I'm a believer that the acquisition might be to go after Pau this summer when we have the cap space. Play out the last year of his contract and see what becomes available in 2014 free agency.

If milsap could be signed for one year sure, but no way he signs for 1 year and I doubt DM ties the cap room up and takes the rox out of 2014 free agency.

14. Lakersuk

Lakersuk Member

not necessarily. remember the chuckwagon used to be successful defending aldridge w his physicality. ppat isnt very physical but millsap most def is. just my 2 cents

15. EgRiFf08

EgRiFf08 Member

Lee might quite possibly be the worst defensive power forward in the league...no thanks

16. prs325

prs325 Member

Great post, but I have a feeling, and I hate to say this because of our situation currently, that Daryl is waiting for DeMarcus Cousins to pry loose. You have all of the characteristics that you mentioned, but in a younger, bigger, more skilled and potentially franchise label type of a player. And the best thing, we still have the assets to make a deal with the Kings if it were to present itself.

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Underrated commodity...Paul Milsap on this team makes PPat expendable...

18. Akim523

Akim523 Member

What's so great about Cousins? He's shooting 42% as a big man and has a slightly above average PER at 17.1 this season.

I'd take Milsap over Cousins any day of the week.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

The more I think about it the more I feel Millsap really is a #2 option. His defense is actually really good. He can shoot a mid range J. He has post moves, and he's great in the PnR game. Just a very versatile, strong all around player.

He may be a hated Jazz but he has averaged over 20 PER the last three seasons with good defense to boot... that's a max player IMO.

20. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Harden and Millsap aren't #1 guys capable of taking over games (completely like a LeBron) by themselves, but put them together and you might have something really special. The synergy would be great.

combine that with Asik developing an offensive game, Lin getting his confidence back and showing us his potential, and Parsons getting better...

SYNERGY!!