1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Pat Riley the slickest dude in the NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheRealist137, Jul 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I know his hair is.

3. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Riley > DM

4. supdudes

supdudes Member

"You fly back to school, now, little Starling. Fly, fly, fly"

1 person likes this.
  5. amaru

amaru Member

fixed

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Let's see, a team with 5 players and no role players. He is ballsy. Slick? I'm not so sure.

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

DM > Your Mom

8. ubigred

Immature post.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It's not that hard to sell your team.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

It doesn't mean he's wrong.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

1 person likes this.
  12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Riles is something else. I cheered for the Showtime Lakers to beat the Celts. I hated his "Uglyball" Knicks. I despised his early Heat teams more than I can describe here. I shook my head in disbelief when he completely shook up and revamped the Heat's roster after they went to the ECFs (where they would have won if Wade hadn't got hurt). The next season when he dumped SVG and came back to the bench, my dislike for Riles was at an all-time high.

But when he cracked the whip, ratcheted up the intensity, pushed his players to the limit and coached his revamped roster to an NBA championship (#6 for him), I couldn't help but say Riles is one of the best ever. If there is anyone who can't put a team around their big 3 that is championship-worthy, Pat Riley is the one.

You people that think LeBron is an egomaniac need to read up on Riles. He is also a control freak to the Nth degree. More than Pop. Waaaay more than JVG. But he knows how to succeed in the NBA and win the confidence of guys like Wade (who knows him very well) and LeBron.

Wait and see what their roster looks like going into training camp before drawing conclusions they can't win it all this year. Riles may be too old to return the bench, but if he does (whatever the supposed rationale), it will be a very very bad sign for the rest of the NBA.

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Gotta give Riley his props. Some teams have been tanking and mortgaging their futures for this summer. Riley got under the cap without giving up much and managed to get the 3 best players available.

14. ubigred

Ok whatever.

Three biggest FAs in one summer on one team ...in one summer.

15. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Riley is great and everything, but why is he getting credit for getting Lebron? (or Bosh?)

I'll give him credit for getting under the cap enough so those players can sign with the Heat, but those 3 players schemed on their own.

16. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

We'll see how truly slick he is when he forces his way back to the head coaching job.

17. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Exactly.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, he's something else. It's hard not to respect a guy who's won wherever he's gone, won by hook or by crook, took the talent he had and changed his system to fit it. Didn't work? He's ruthless about making it work. One thing you can say about Riley is that he had immense respect for Hakeem. He showed it during that series with LA early in Dream's career, when he made the focus of his defense stopping him, up to and including goading Olajuwon into getting tossed in the game Ralph won with The Shot.

Damn, Riles has to be getting up there now. He's got another championship run or two in him and I seriously can't see him not coaching this Heat team, eventually. He won't be able to help himself. It'll be fun to watch.

(and I'll boo James every chance I get)

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This really isn't Riley's greatest GM feat. He was infamous in the late 90's and early 2000's for trading away crap and receiving talent. Anyone remember the awesome Pat Riley internet trade simulator?

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

If he can secure 8-10 players with $10 million or less then I'll throw him a parade. Even Reddick won't sign with this team.