1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Pat Beverly our PG of the future?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JD88, Jul 25, 2014.

1. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

What if the dragon comes back?

You're telling me the dragon will be in the bench?

One of McHale's favorites was the dragon.

Now that Parsons is gone, I'm pretty sure the dragon will see a lot of time on the court as the starter.

2. ogh

ogh Member

He won't be back this year.

3. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

:grin:

;)

4. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

If he improves yes if he can get to like

14 pts
    5 rbs
    5 ast
    2 stls

45 FG%
    39 3PT%

and still play his overall good defense/hustle, I think he can be the PG to fit the team for a while.

5. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

I like the idea of surrounding Harden with elite defenders, especially cheap ones. I'm assuming Bev will be cheap when the time comes to pay him, just because his stats aren't great.

6. valorita

valorita Member

Bev is kind of our toughness and identity though so it is hard to replace with just stats. If we had another player like him in ur starting lineup, that would be the team's natural identity.

7. Possum

Possum Member

If Beverly could improve his three point shooting percentage in the high 30s he would be more than adequate.

8. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

He is our 6th/7th man of the future playing 24-30min a game of pesky defense.

9. calcium

calcium Member

There was speculation it was cos of ball handling duties the JHarden
    doesnt try on 'D' to save energy.

Now with Parsons gone, who I think can handle the ball better
    than Ariza, JHarden would be required to handle the ball even _more_
    than he already does (which is a lot for a traditional '2').

So, if the plan is _not_ to have JHarden handle the ball as much as he
    does, cos of whatever reason (like try on 'D'), then PBev is _not_ a good fit.

Unless of course, he can improve his numbers in the Assists column,
    which he can but will take time, which we dont have.

But if there is no plan to change this, then PBev is more than adequate.

10. StevieCrossover

Nick Johnson.......

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he was the second best defensive PG next to CP3 last season. if you can't get an all star PG, as least keep the guy who can slow them down.

he is not our PG on offense, harden is. and when bev played with lin, lin was the PG. parsons also initiated a lot of offense. this resulted in low ast numbers for bev.

his job (as long as harden is here) is to play off the ball, hit open 3's, and play defense. at 41%FG and 36% 3's he was pretty good last year. next season i'd like to see him around 44% and 39% as another poster suggested.

without lin or parsons, bev will be the second ball handler rather than the 4th. also, he was the 6th option on offense last year after DH, JH, CP, JL, and TJ. now he will be somewhere between 3rd and 5th. plus he will get all the minutes he can handle at PG with no real backup.

i expect his numbers to look something like: 36 minutes, 14ppg, 4rpg, 5apg, 1.9spg while again making the all NBA defense second team. So yes, I'd say unless we get an all -star PG like dragic or rondo, bev is our starter.

12. cebu

cebu Member

NO, NO and NO.

13. JD88

JD88 Member

Bev also had a very low turnover rate and low TOper36 average.

Defend. Knock down the 3. Take care of the ball.

That's all we need in a point guard, so there's really no reason to pay somebody 8 figures to do so.

14. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Considering our PG rotation, it's easy to see Bev getting around 35 mpg. If he can put up your 14/4/5/1.9 statline without becoming an ineffective chucker/high turnover player WHILE playing Tony Allen level defense, then you got yourself a borderline allstar.

A big portion of Beverley's "success" was that we really really didn't ask him to do much last year. Everything was basically a pleasant surprise - offensive rebounds, steals, random dunks on Chris Bosh...
    His offense was 3s and open floaters. His "decision making" was solid and turnovers were low because he never dribbled beyond the half court line before passing it to Harden.

Barring a BIG step forward for both players, Ariza and Harden alone can't make up the offense generated by last year's Harden/Parsons/Lin perimeter trio. It's natural to think that Bev will be thrust into a role where he's gonna have to break somebody down on offense. Nothing I've seen so far has indicated to me that he's ready for this role. To put up the stats you mention above while maintaining defensive intensity and decent efficiency would be absolutely remarkable for Beverley next year.

Hope you're right!

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He is our point guard until someone better comes along. I predict that he will be on the roster until he is up for a contract extension. He will want to get paid, and (hopefully) we do not overpay, let someone else do it.

16. Remii

Remii Member

Franchise and Cat did an excellent job with Yao's English...lol. But Mutombo is probably the better conversationalist of the three. The dude is freakin hilarious if you can understand what he's saying.

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Once again proving that no intelligent statement has ever been ended with someone typing "Period."

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Championship teams tend to have either star point guards or defensive point guards. Unless Rockets can get their hands on a star PG, Beverley is it.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

...but you end your statement by typing...

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Aside from the Spurs (and maybe the Pistons in 2004), which other championship team in the past 20 years has had a star point guard?