1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is our bench as good as Mavs now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dfwrox, Jan 27, 2007.

1. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

yeah i dont really know how you can compare our bench to theirs. theres a reason why they've been winning alot of games. come on we're missing a real back up PG. (i would go as far to say we need a PG in general but don't really wanna stir up trouble)

2. Rockets Dynasty

Hmm........when Yao comes back it's probably,

PG/SG Head
    SG/SF Bonzi
    PF/C Juwan
    C Deke

Looking at in that way, if Head could develop some better point skills or if we actually landed a decent backup point and allowed Head to just play SG and Bonzi SF, then I would say our bench could hang with Dallas, except for the depth and matchup issues.

But certainly if we added someone like Chucky Atkins to that squad then this would be a very good bench.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Our bench could be as good once Yao gets back....but most of them have not played enough to get their confidence up.

So....for now, our bench is not near as good a the Mavs.

But, if some of them can get some run on the floor and get comfortable...they could be.

DD

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

When 100% healthy, our key bench guys are Head, Wells, Howard, Mutombo.

That bench "could" be good. But it depends on a couple of things.

1) Bonzi has to get back to full speed (ala last year's playoff Bonzi). If Bonzi could be a factor for the Rockets the way Stackhouse is NOW with the Mavs, then we would take it. Right now Stackhouse is playing better than Bonzi. Basically, because he is in game shape.

2) Can Luther play backup PG consistantly and have consistant handles? That's huge. If he can do that, and hit the outside shot then we are in good shape. I still feel backup PG is an issue. A guy with better handles would be nice. Maybe a trade for Chucky Atkins or something like that. The Mavs with Anthony Johnson get an edge here.

3) Will Howard continue to play well when his role changes from go-to-guy in the post on a starting unit, to a more traditional bench role player? If he can produce nicely in limited minutes, then again, major plus for the bench.

So, on paper (upside) we have a chance to have a good bench. But there is a lot of room for improvement on where these guys are playing now.

5. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

I am wrong. :(

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

ha!

i was gonna post the exact same thing...

7. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

well how about comparing the two teams, actually all three Texas Teams.

As someone mentioned earlier we seem to have the more efficient starting 5 in the league. That makes the benches job so much easier.