1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is OnLive a real threat to gaming consoles ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Mar 24, 2009.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Sorry for the silly post on my part, I was just meaning that while I think this could work for single player/cooperative multiplayer gaming - I just didn't think it would work well in a competitive player vs player setting anytime soon (like if people are using a true local gaming pc/console vs a remote Stadia player).

For example in an FPS competitive online game I'm thinking it could be something similar to when dial up was still around but some people had broadband (so latency/reaction advantage ahead of everyone else). Basically I was just meaning that since I don't play as much and am getting a bit older that I need as much of an advantage as possible.

I do think that it's worth trying for free, and I have heard decent things for gaming on single player/non-competive gaming. I think if I were to try it I'd try all the free games first and then if I see myself using it longterm, I'd then consider maybe buying games on the service) if I did. I just recommend getting in as much time as you can on the free stuff to see if you like it.

And definitely agree on your sentiment, my comment was basically saying I need an advantage. Regardless, definitely let me know what you think, I honestly hope it works out, more people gaming or having access is definitely a pro. I really think this could be great for anyone who doesn't want to invest in a gaming pc/console, and I'm really curious to see how well it works on your Chromebook.

backwardhead likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Destiny looked pretty good streaming from a laptop. As long as you can play YouTube at 1080p fine, it's just the same...

I'm still amazed streaming is instant 95% of the time. Probably not acceptable for picky gamers but I'm past that competitive prime and can only play an hour or two.

backwardhead and CCity Zero like this.
  3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I'm definitely outside of it too/headed that way, I don't think I've even played anything in over a month+. That's awesome it's working for you, and my comment wasn't so much about being picky but if I attempted to play a competitive game since I have a gaming pc I might as well take advantage of it... But going forward, if services like this continue to do well, I'll probably just skip the pc/game console for convenience, I mean I do like competitive style games still but I'm not sure how much longer I will even be able to compete, especially with lack of gaming...

And definitely glad to hear it's working, hell lately after working at computer all day - if I do game... I'm more likely to play the Switch. So this could be really nice being able to get away from my desk and use a notebook elsewhere - I work from home (even before this mess we're in).

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, my experience says no, there have been no less than 5 attempts at this all failed.

DD