1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Moses Malone teaching Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by porsche911, Feb 26, 2003.

1. porsche911

porsche911 Member

I was just wondering, there was an article where it said Moses was willing to teach Yao some moves... but he said if the Rockets asked for his help... So in the end, did the Rocks ask him? It would be foolish if they didn't..:rolleyes:

2. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I back your opinion 100%! Its a not a big surprise that the Rox might not admit that their Big Man Coaching leaves something to be desired.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

rudy said that the rox felt no need to hire a new big man coach but that the invite to ex players i.e. hakeem and moses was always open to come in and help.

seems pretty cheap to me

4. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

Awesome. Yao needs a little help learning how to get the ball even when he is doubled without the ball.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is the only time I wish Mark Cuban owned the Rocks, he would have read that and hired Moses on the spot.

Come on Rudy what is a piddly little contract when you are paying deadbeats like Maloney.

DD

6. basketball

basketball Contributing Member

Before the draft, I was reading somewhere that the Bulls promised to hired a team of personal trainers and coaches to train Yao to become the best player he can be (if he become the Bulls). And here we have two former great players in Sampson and Malone who offer to help Yao and the Rockets do not jump on it? I am not sure what they are thinking but I think Yao will definitely benefits from getting personal training from some of the best big men in the past.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No surprise that Moses has not been brought in. It was pretty obvious from that column that he was VERY interested in teaching Yao. But it appears that the Rockets are smart enough and have everything all figured out.
    Rudy and his band of video tape assistant coaches. :rolleyes:

I have nothing against Rudy, but like mentioned above, if Cuban was our owner he would have been all over hiring Moses to help teach Yao. Just look at the assistants the Mavs have. That quality time that those assistants can give those players makes a big difference, especially with young players. The more "one on one" time a player can have with a coach/assistant the better.

I am on the outside, I know...but I don't really have a lof of faith in Rudy's band of video tape breakdown assistant coaches teaching Yao on the finer points of banging in the paint wrestling with other top NBA stars. Thank God we still have Mr. Mean!

Chris

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

9. Toast

Toast Member

I don't think all Rudy T, Carroll Dawson and Larry Smith do is show Yao a bunch of video tape. Those guys have helped develop hall of fame caliber centers before, so I have faith they know what they're doing.

10. rocketsball2003

please tell me you are not comparing a coach to an owner.... i dont think its rudy t's fault there arent more coaches here in houston, after all he isnt the one wrighting all the checks;)

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Toast,

Rudy and his gang had very little to do with Olajuwon becoming what he was. He had an inner drive and became the superstar on his own.

In the NBA today, players do not have the 4 years of college teaching anymore, and they don't get it in the pros. That is why a player like Eddie Griffin ( who needs a TON of fundemental teaching) has not progressed.

The NBA staff is too worried about winning NOW, and not about teaching good footwork etc.

There are exceptions, like the Mavs.

Young players need a LOT of coaching...and Rudy's staff is not that good at the fundementals part of the game...OBVIOUSLY.

DD

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is my belief (correct me if I am wrong) that Rudy has A LOT of influence on what goes on with the Rockets, with CD and with Les. I get the feeling if Rudy wanted him to be an assistant coach/eacher, Les would pay the guy.

I get the feeling that Les is not going to throw money around but he empowers CD and Rudy and if they make suggestions to Les that they believe will help the team Les will go with it.

Chris

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Exactly! Young guys need time to learn and need teachers to teach. Practice time is scarce during the season. Would it hurt to have a few more assistant coaches on the roster to teach these younger players?

How about Pete Newill teaching Eddie some post moves. Thing you would get your monies worth there?

Chris

14. rocketsball2003

thats all it is, your belief that rudy has all this power... maybe he does maybe les dont want to pay the money, i mean he says he does not want to go over the lux tax, so why would he want to buy more coaches???

15. rocketsball2003

dont get me wrong people i want 2 benches like the mavs do... you know one for the players and one for the coaches... i agree you can never have enough teachers.. but i think it all comes down to money

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I said "my belief" because I don't know for sure. I admit that. I am not going to propose that I do.

Les does not want to go over the salary cap but:
    1) coaches' salaries are not counted against the cap.

1a) Les is smart enough to know that paying an assistant coach to teach players to play better which results in more wins and more game attendance and more merchandise sales is a smart move. The results would most likely justify the means.

2) If the Rockets could get an Elton Brand you think Les would pay some luxary tax penalties? I think so. He has proven in the past that he is willing to make bold moves (Barkley, Pippen) to put the team over the edge. He trusts in Rudy and CD to make the proper personnel decisions and if they believe something will put the team over the edge I haven't seen anything to say that Les would not do it.

Chris

17. carayip

carayip Member

I don't think it's about money. It shouldn't be too costly as it appears that Moses's so interested and willing.

18. carayip

carayip Member

Regarding luxury tax for players, no one (apart from a few exception) would be happy to pay massive luxury tax for a team who can't make the playoffs. Now if we are the championship team or even just challenging, I am quite sure that would be very different. I think Les has shown in the cases of Barkley and Pippen that he's willing to pay big money to put together a contending team. Hell he's even willing to dish out fat contracts to Mo Taylor and Cato.

19. rocketsball2003

and thats why he dont want to go over the lux tax... we are rebuilding and he wants to get some big contracts off the books before he starts putting money into the team ... so thats why i dont see les getting any real big free agents for at least 2-3 years, hopefully by them we will be the team to beat.. and this is of course hoping that griff can hit an open jumper in the near future, and boki will be the shooter that we need

20. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

I dont think it is about money. I think that Moses would do it for next to nothing. The guy loves the game and loves what he sees in Yao. Moses is great. Bring him in now, even if it is some dough.