1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is MDA the right coach for our superstar duo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Jul 15, 2019.

?

Can MDA coach us to a championship?

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. Probably not but there is no one better available

39 vote(s)
    40.6%
  1. amaru

amaru Member

I don't think MDA is the right coach to bring in when you are serious about competing for a title. But he's likely not going anywhere until after the season so he'll get another chance to show he's that guy. Westbrook isn't the best fit but he's talented. Harden is talented but somewhat stubborn. MDA's work is cut out for him. If he's as good a coach as he thinks he is, then we should have a successful season and playoff run. If MDA is the type of coach I think he is then we'll be a decent team but flame out early.

MDA is most likely getting his final shot to prove he's the guy.

2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I dont think he's the right guy... but at this point id give him this last year to prove otherwise...

[​IMG]

I think MDA is the Marty Schottenheimer of the NBA...

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Didn't some tweet say that one of the reasons Westbrook wanted to come here was because of MDA?

4. kjayp

and before folks feel the need to white knight for MDA... Rudy T wasnt the best guy to coach a hard headed Stevie Franchise either... nor do i think Rudy would be ideal in this scenario either...

jus sayin...

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Every point guard wants to play for MDA, for good reason. He makes their numbers better and gives them freedom to play fast.

Guess what position Russell Westbrook plays?

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. amaru

amaru Member

MDA will get his chance to show he's a championship level coach. It's championship or bust. We'll see what kind of coach he really is.

7. SemisolidSnake

I hate polls that are a different question than the thread title.

Anyway, I voted No with the implication that "No, MDA is not the coach for our superstar duo, but we're stuck with him, soooo, you'll have to make it happen yourselves, James and Russ."

8. kjayp

I'm not disagreeing with that at all... MDA is great at pumping up guys offensive numbers... bc he's gonna put the personnel on the floor to work those offensive efficiencies - defense and rebounding be damned...

Personally, I think MDA gives too much freedom... GG should not have the green light to chuck a 3 whenever the ball finds its way to his hands...

9. BigBum

BigBum Member

For playoffs, mda is the 7th best coach in the West.
    Some Other coaches make 10 million/year.

10. jayfree

jayfree Member

What's Phil Jackson doin'?

11. Remlap

Remlap Member

Who are the 6 'higher' rated current coaches?

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Bzdelik

dkim1984 likes this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

When you need a title, you call nick nurse, R.N.

vlaurelio and amaru like this.
  14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Im gonna say no BUT. Who is??? Other than Doc Rivers and Pop I cant think of any.

15. tc0330

tc0330 Member

mda unleashed harden's true potential help gaining him an mvp. he also had cp0 in the right place to get us 1 game away from the finals. i think he can unlock another level of russ for offense. at this point theres no reason to not be optimistic. we got 2 mvp's on the same team and one of the best offensive coach minds in the nba. i think we'll be alright.

16. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Jersey Mike’s is good.

AstrosRockets1818 likes this.
  17. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Likely because of the analytical buy-in. Three pointers are a majority of time better than twos, all else held constant. Except, as we saw in the last two playoffs, when all else varies negatively, being stubborn about one play (and subsequently kick-out catch-and-shoot threes) failed to yield. Yet we still stuck to it. We suffered from lack of offensive diversity, but we know that MDA has been successful implementing plays that utilized off-ball movement and ball-movement in his time with the Suns. His play-calling with the Suns =/= his with us. He evolved to draw plays up that emphasize threes or layups. So his old school style hasn't really been tested in any of our regular seasons. If you can find evidence otherwise, hook it up, and I'll take a look.

I think they stuck to the iso based on the idea of reversion to the mean. Except in a playoff/elimination circumstance, there may not be enough opportunity (think time) to benefit from that reversion. It made us super one-dimensional and predictable, which is like a gift to the defenders.

Edit: I definitely stand by my vote that MDA can't lead us though. Even if we allotted more plays to his old style, I don't think he can adjust in-game very well based on his run-ins with dynasties to date.

#37 dkim1984, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  18. bmelo

bmelo Member

look at Toronto. they fired COTY

19. BigBum

BigBum Member

Mda needs a much better bench than clippers.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Probably the right coach for the Lame Duck situation.