1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is MDA a championship caliber coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Nov 1, 2019.

?

Is he a championship coach?

1. Hell yes!

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. Hell no!

35 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Sure, but circumstances have to be perfect (match-ups in the play-offs)

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. Sure, with some injury luck of the opponents

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Don't think so, too much set in his ways and offense minded

19 vote(s)
    18.1%
  6. Don't think so, just a feeling

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  7. No, just overall too flawed as a coach

19 vote(s)
    18.1%
  8. Meh, maybe yes maybe no

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  9. He would've been, just some bad luck he's had with injuries & suspensions

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  10. Other

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Dude is playing all guards right now and when he does he doesn't even play the right ones. Austin Rivers is playing way better than Gordon but has 10 less minutes in game.

cheke64, BasketMAD and roslolian like this.
  2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

As much as an 'MDA hater' that I am... I went with:

Sure, but circumstances have to be perfect (match-ups in the play-offs)

I mean, MDA gives you a punchers chance - but he's not gonna go get it for you...

if not for 0-27 we'd have a championship...
    On the one hand, MDA shoulda done something - and a true championship coach is gonna make the adjustments...
    but otoh, 0-27! C'mon, man... how can you plan for such icecoldedness? smdh....

I think if you have a slightly over mediocre team - MDA is gonna overproduce. He's gonna get that squad pumping better than they are.

Put him up against the best in championship runs... if nothing goes wrong... maybe... sure....

maybe thats more:

Meh, maybe yes maybe no

lol

3. mario_v

mario_v Member

What is he even good at? His defense has always been trash. For the second year in a row , the defense looks awful without bzdelik.

He completely relies on harden or Westbrook making something out of nothing.

They say dantoni is an offensive genius, but his offense mostly consists of everyone just standing around watching harden dribble the ball out and shoot contested 3s.

Dantoni was once an innovative coach in 2005, but now every coach has caught up to him and he hasn’t been able to adjust.

Handles, BasketMAD and bmelo like this.
  4. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

No common sense NO B Plan I am sick of him

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

It’s early, but I’m pretty much done with D’Antoni. Not his fault that he doesn’t have the coach or even the personnel to play D though.

I don’t really like how this team is constructed at the moment. That said, they may just be a player away from being much better.

6. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

7. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

But is he really coaching though?

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  8. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Coach has to start doing his Job number one problem is we can take a million threes but we have to make people guard us. Yeams know we are going to take 3's. They are getting away we tanking on defense and then we facing a team that will only have to play hard on their side of the ball.
    Key issues that MDA is failing at
    1. We need to get our bigs some layups in the first half(establish the bigs)--- they will rebound better d' up better and run harder.

2. On a drive one of the corner 3 point shooters need to cut or help offensive rebound

3. More Pick n roll and Dribble Handoffs --
    We have to get the ball to moving Where Westbrook and James can attack a confused defense opposed to a set defense every possession

4. Get a defensive Philosophy. we cant win the title and we have a give in and up mentality on defense

BaselineFade likes this.
  9. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Good points.

I only disagree with #1. I think that they do try to get Clint going early. For some reason he just doesn't finish as well as he used too. I have never seen him this timid at the rim. I'm not sure if i put that on MDA.

10. bj3175

bj3175 Member

It appears that you are right. That seems to be why the trade rumors surrounding his name is increased recently

BaselineFade likes this.
  11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this isn't the team we're going to war with in the postseason.

daywalker02 and BaselineFade like this.
  12. bmelo

bmelo Member

One day when we were the only team spamming threes we got by off it. But now half of the league does that while having better shooters and defense. Mike is an ideologist he brings almost no sets, offensively he puts Harden in iso position and thats basically it. On defense he needs assistance. And his rotations are so mechanic... he doesnt to with the flow of the game. I think he may be burnt out as a rockets coach.

13. JW86

JW86 Member

All good points made and I really wonder if people truly believe that D’antoni is truly making a difference on offense. I am not seeing it. Space the floor, make sure the corner is manned and let a PG go to work. Very basic.

As far as replacement: I’d like a Nick Nurse, young guy who has paid his dues and has a different vision and fresh approach. We won with Rudy T, Warriors won with Kerr, Raptors with Nurse. These old 60-75 grandfather dinosaurs are not cutting it. Take a risk.

roslolian likes this.
  14. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Give MDA players like Durant, Curry, Thompson, Green, Igg and so on, MDA would still find a way to lose championship.

MDA just can’t win championship as a coach.

BasketMAD and roslolian like this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think Pringles is pretty good as a regular season coach, one of the best even because his offense is fun to run and he is a decent "players" coach. So players have fun and he has fun coaching them and they all get good vibes and win a ton of games. But in the playoffs you need more than fun you need a coach who can actually make adjustments. In regular season adjustments aren't needed because you rarely meet the same opponent back2back. So even if say Budenholzer always runs circles and takes a dump on Dumbtoni so what? There are 28 teams in the league more than half of them are tanking so just beat all the weak teams MDA still has a good record at the end right?

But in the playoffs you have no choice but to run against the best coaches that is where Dumbtoni massively fails because he is just too dumb, he doesn't know how to manage the roster and he doesn't know how to make adjustments. Losing against Kerr time after time isn't an accident because Pringles loses to Budenholzer and Popovich consistently too. As long as the coach is a tactical genius Pringles' players will always be at a massive disadvantage. If Kerr, Popovich, Carlisle, Budenholzer, Nick Nurse and Pringles all had the exact same team and had a round robin vs each other I am 100% confident Pringles will have the lowest score. Is the 6th best coach in the league (at best) a championship coach? I don't think so.

Highlyrated likes this.
  16. JackLordsHair66

This was troubling to watch, he’ll allow Harden and Ego to chuck the 3 ball endlessly when they aren’t making shots, but pulls the guy making shots and playing better D in his limited time in the game. That’s the frustrating part of Mike he's set in his patterns of substitution and thinking far too often. I voted * under the right circumstances as a result of this pattern of coaching behavior he seems to always defer to.

BasketMAD likes this.
  17. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

So basically it was the talent of that year's team that carried him.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

every coach needs great talent to win...

Remlap likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

well adam silver and scott foster thought he is , otherwise they wouldny have intervened 2 years in a row
    game 1 last year
    game 7 2 years ago

harden also said he wouldnt want any other coach other than mike

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

dantoni thinks statistics refute effectiveness of calling timeouts during runs