1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is MCW the key to success?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsingles, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

MCW has the length and the speed to be a great defender. He can't shoot the ball, and should never run the point, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be a guy like a Roberson. He gets a bad rap because expectations were too high and the fact that player development on the teams he was on was garbage. Given a chance to flourish he could be a great role player.

Little Bit likes this.
  2. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Give Clark all his minutes pls

xtruroyaltyx and GotGame15 like this.
  3. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Clark better

4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Is Michael Carter Williams the new Corey Brewer/Ryan Anderson?

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Unfortunately both of those guys are better players.

malakas and sammy like this.
  6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

There has never been a more obvious move in sports than to just not sign MCW. It was so obvious. Morey temporarily lost his mind.

malakas, sammy, pippendagimp and 2 others like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

people kept trying to say this but he isn't even that good of a defender and his iq isn't that great to go along with it. so that's why he isn't a roberson. even the livingston comparisons were laughable. on top of that, you can say any athlete coming out of college has the length/speed to be a great defender. how many of those actually pan out consistently. not many

he's not even a rotational player. hell never be a great role player. and hes definitely in the wrong system to even find a role that actually helps

malakas likes this.
  8. foggy94

foggy94 Member

To be THAT bad on offense you have to be ELITE defensively like Roberson is, and even someone like that I'm not sure would quite fit in our team. MCW is certainly not good enough on the defensive end to justify him ruining our offense, and I was someone who had hopes he could be good this year.

9. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

This was a heat check for Morey. The only other scenario is Morey thinking he needs a bigger point guard for certain playoff situations, which I still think is a good use of a 14th or 15th roster spot if injuries help you.

Injuries have not helped us so far.

For the minimum I can live with him supporting the team from the bench until we get someone else who can make us better.
    And I want to see him getting some minutes vs Warriors on Nov15, let's see how he does vs Klay/Steph.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Asking if MCW is a 'key to success' is like asking if Crack Cocaine has any medicinal uses.

11. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

He was in his mind. Morey's player scouting is definitely mediocre. He's not like West or Ainge in his ability to just see talent with the eye.

Even by analytics MCW is one of the worst players in the league as well so I think it was just name recognition.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

how bad is mcw? i rather have bobby brown getting regular minutes than mcw playing 2 min

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I respect and appreciate your sincere replies. But I disagree.

To add on to what YOLO said, MCW has been an inefficient, low bball IQ player for 5+ years in the NBA. How many more years of bad play will it take before he can no longer be looked at as "excellent"?

14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

he's kinda like a crappier version of shaun livingston, and that aint saying much

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Livingston is endlessly better than MCW

malakas likes this.
  16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I think where we diverge is this, all that you mentioned are traits that can be modified by coaching. I look at it from the perspective of a player who loses his athleticism and then decides to start playing smarter basketball in his old age (like a Vince Carter of sorts).

I see your perspective on the matter though, and find it to be a damn travesty that this kid was never really developed correctly. What is sort of unknown on our part is his willingness to respond to good coaching. We don't get to see a lot of this behind the scenes stuff.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I warmly welcome Gary Clark's spot in the rotation ahead of MCW.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Clark is 3 years younger and so far a better fit than MCW. Seems to have a good feel for the game in general. Having a whole season of coming off the bench will strengthen his game. We need youth so desperately, this team is OLD. The oldest in the league. And they like to play slow (Harden/Paul). We need to pick up that pace and get into our offense more efficiently. Gets unnecessarily tough to score when they just go hardcore iso as first option all the time.

I know MDA's system hasn't done this before, but we need more passing from the non-PG's. Too few assists, need to add some wrinkles to the playbook. Either that or Harden and Paul need to combine for 10+ assists EACH every game. We're not utilizing everyone else better.

19. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Might be time to take down his banner on the outside of the TC, he isn't getting any more minutes for us.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

MCW is an outdated model, you can't be a guard shooting 20 or just 30% from 3 in today's league.

Unless you are DWade or Prime DRose slashing and doing circus layups against the toughest teams.

Those 2 also developed some sort of a shot.