1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Mchale's lack of in-game adjustments going to cost us this series?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GoRox2013, Apr 21, 2014.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

[spit-take] SPLOOOOOT![/spit-take]

2. jamphus

jamphus Member

How do you judge from who's more talented?

2000 Lakers v.s. Blazers,
    I don't see any side owned the other on talents.

3. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Uhhh, Lin was terrible in the 4th and actually almost cost us the game, however he made up for it by carrying the team in OT.

4. Hmm

Hmm Member

That was the series that was to decide the Laker's future... Shaq has admitted to this... If they hadn't gotten past the BLazer's... the team was going to be blown up....

5. Hmm

Hmm Member

Interestingly enough... Shaq also gave a lot of credit to Phil Jackson for their turn around that won them that crucial game, and decided the series...

But, let's disregard what the player's say.... Stats know better...

6. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

It's not just about firing McHale, it's who do you hire?

A lot of options here, particularly the defensive-minded one's, are totally against listening to Morey and his ways. That won't work.

I'm totally for dismissing McHale, has zero plays, zero in-game adjustments, does not hold his players responsible at all. I find this irritating and I find him incompetent. The question is who do you go to?

I would've liked Lionel Hollins, but he would've been incredibly pissed off working with Morey. Dude couldn't get along with Hollinger, it won't work with Morey.

JVG is horrible offensively, what we say about our defense now is what we'd say about our offense then. SVG's coaching would be good, but we know the history between Dwight & him.

I mean, it's really hard. We could've taken a whim on someone like Steve Clifford, but no way we get Dwight with a rookie coach. It's very difficult to pry the right coach.

7. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

1) You don't double Aldridge. That leaves a shooter open, which is stupid when you have two players that can defend him; Dwight and Omer. And a third that could at least do something in DMo. Obviously, Terrence should not be on him. That's quite evident.

2) Why the hell would you trap? That opens up someone else. You're not looking to make big time rotations when the team does not have it's best offensive player on the court. You look to stay home on the shooters, play Damian one on one, and get weakside help when he makes his move(i.e drives). You don't come out and start trapping him and forcing ball movement, no way we react and rotate properly. We're not the Bulls or Bobcats, we suck at defensive rotations.

3) Yes, agreed. For the love of god our two close out plays; iso harden and the stupid elbow screen for Howard to an alley that ends out being a rushed inbound pass in between half court and the 3pt line, and an eventual iso play.

8. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

All I know is... you shouldn't have a team with Asik and Howard giving up 17 offensive rebounds... Terrence Jones should never be the lone big man out there... That's just something you can't do on defense and expect to stop Portland. But, somehow, it happened in Game 1. We gotta be smarter when we play D. The Rockets 100% looked like they were just winging it out there last game. No real thought or game plan.

In contract, look what Memphis did against OKC. That's what happens when you have focus and strategy.

9. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

You know sometimes I think, we know better, but we aren't wiling to show our cards.

I think we thought we could squeak away with the win and knowingly not show any of cards; keeping Jones on Aldridge most of the time being the biggest one.

And later in the series, start putting Dwight and/or Omer on more often.

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

what do you mean "show our cards"? we need to win Game 1 so that POR won't gain confidence.

Now it's the Rockets who are shaken. It's just a lack of thought and planning. We did nothing new to surprise POR.

In contrast, POR surprised us by Matthews' post game vs Harden, the small ball line-up when we went TT, and Hack-a-Dwight. We played a reactive game all throughout.

The most galling part--the free lance offense with no rthyme or reason. No on on court to shout "hey, let's organize ourselves. This is how we attack POR at this stage."

11. JazzLakerHater

I'm just curious, today I was watching SportsCenter and they said that Kevin McHale might be on the hot seat along with Scott Brooks and Frank Vogel. Is that true? I would love that but I highly doubt it.

12. Clarinetmonster

I think this playoffs will show Morey all he needs to know about how ill equipped McHale is to lead this team to a ring.

13. Clarinetmonster

And Les.

14. Omnipotence

Omnipotence Member

If we don't make it out of the 1st round, McHale has to be fired.

15. Rockness

Rockness Member

Yup, he didn't do anything to stop lma nor take out players that sucked!

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

of course it very well could, morey and his fan boys on this site could never fathom it though.

17. swattx

swattx Member

The fact that he continues to go with Jones baffles me

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

so flat. getting zero effort out of these guys. wide open shots all over the place.