1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Mchale's lack of in-game adjustments going to cost us this series?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GoRox2013, Apr 21, 2014.

1. NotChandlerParsons

If by 'some other posts' you mean the GARM then yes, that's an accurate summary.

2. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

McHale's adjustments put us in position to win four times. Our guys were just not strong-minded enough. Every time we got a significant advantage, it was like our team was perplexed the game wouldn't just end. we'd get well ahead, then slack off on perimeter defense and take, ahem, optimistic shots, then panic a little and we would be tied or down two. If there was ever a team looking for a way to lose a game . . . yet seeming to feel it was unfair that Portland didn't give up when we had them down.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

My biggest issue was with rebounding. Why not put a better rebounder in with the game on the line. The blazers were killing the small line-up on the boards. DMo? Hamilton? Even Powell

4. Blast_Off

Blast_Off Member

Yeah, they were up 2 with 7 seconds to go in regulation and gave up 2 offensive rebounds. Just needed a rebound there for a win. Was that McHale's fault?

When I watch the play I see Bev lose track of Lillard for a split second (boxing Lillard out would have won it, but Lillard got to the ball), then I see both Howard and Parsons have an opportunity to put a body on Aldridge, but they both just watch the ball and get out-jumped for it. I think I'm in the minority, but that's the play where the Rockets had a real chance to take the game, and they just couldn't get a rebound.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

6. J Hard

J Hard Member

If anything, it should cost HIM his job.

7. Dawan70

Dawan70 Member

I thought Lin guarded Mo Williams rather well. Lilliard was guarded by parson and Beveley. You are looking through hate colored glasses dude.

8. Dawan70

Dawan70 Member

*Beverley

9. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

That's our play going down the stretch. In OT it looked great and we quickly shot out to a 6pt lead... then Harden ISO happened :confused:

10. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Beverley shut down Lillard... NOT.

When's the last time Parsons shut down anybody let alone PGs???!!! SMFH.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

You do realize that Harden iso was a go to play all year long to close out games and in case you didn't notice the thread it just so happens he was THE MOST clutch player all season long to end games.

12. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Not giving DMO a chance to guard Aldridge was a serious error on McHale's part. Three other things McHale should have done: (1) Not doubling Aldridge, especially in the 4th, and especially after he continued to torch TJ every possession; (2) not trapping Lillard EVERY possession after Aldridge fouled out; make someone else beat you; (3) not letting Lin draw up a game-winning play because McHale apparently sucks at it.

13. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Double negative on what McHale should've done, but you get the point.

14. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

15. Choke

Choke Member

Undeniable. Torocan is LOF!

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its possible, but even with him dropping the ball we still would've won if either:

a) harden would show up (which he has a history of not doing in the playoffs)

b) the refs would've at least tried to call a fair game.

so there is still hope that with better refs and better games from harden we will still win this series. there will be slim chance he can get by pop and the spurs though.

17. nchan

nchan Member

wow, what a surprise. I though Lin played great defense last game. He was the only player to have a + playing over 30 minutes. People's eyes can be so bias sometimes.

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

More than anything I think a coach brings confidence to your team. When everything is in disarray and on the line you look over at your coach and he is that pillar of strength. He is the guy that says "hey look at me we got this!" and the players believe him because he has said it before and he was right.

Some teams don't need that. Oddly enough the spurs could mostly play without Pop but if necessary he is there. I look on the sidelines at McHale and I see a scared man. Every play down the stretch of last nights game terrified him. I looked on the other sideline and saw a confident man.

Beyond x's and o's Stotts was coaching to win and it seemed McHale was hoping not to lose. Yeah there's a lot more to it than that but McHale just doesn't strike me as a great leader but more of a great follower. lead us Larry Bird and I will follow you. A great follower but not a leader. He doesn't instill confidence in the really important games. Playoffs are the epitamy of big games and McHale struggled. He looks scared.

19. Exiled

Exiled Member

hmmm ...he does adjust ...but take forever to do so ..

it took him 2 seasson to play TJ and DMO still on the bench ..

this mean .. McHale will figure out this team rotations and all issues in about ...

10-13 years ... so .. relax guys and enjoy the playoff...while it last :(

20. Clarinetmonster

Wow- you need to go back and watch all of Lillards points on replay - he got a grand total of 2 points on a fast break on Lin in terms of 'beating him off the dribble'. On the other hand, he literally just ran right by Harden and Parsons in the half court set. And yes, he did get a few points on the high screen and roll against Bev.