1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is McHale stupid for playing garbage Morris instead of D. Mo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by houston#1, Feb 14, 2013.

1. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't you guys remember Carl Landry and Aaron Brooks' (and for that matter, Patrick Pattetson's) trajectories? Bringing along rookies slowly is NOTHING new.

Btw, he won't be able to guard PFs or Cs, so I don't think it matters too much where you put him. I say give him the back up C minutes, since he'll have a greater quickness advantage. Plus, Morris should still be playing. Replace Aldrich if anybody.

2. allaroundplayer

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/02/13/down-on-prigioni-knicks-seeking-backup-pg/

Down on Prigioni, Knicks seeking backup PG

By Chris Sheridan
    February 13, 2013 at 9:33 PM

The New York Knicks are actively seeking to trade for a backup point guard, having lost faith in Pablo Prigioni’s ability to run the team in the event Raymond Felton gets injured again, league sources tell SheridanHoops.com.

Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld reported Wednesday that the Knicks had been in discussions with the Minnesota Timberwolves and expressed interest in Luke Ridnour, who is on the trading block — as SheridanHoops.com reported more than a week ago.

The New York Knicks have expressed interest in Minnesota Timberwolves point guard Luke Ridnour, according to source.

— Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) February 13, 2013

But with coach Mike Woodson going on the radio in New York and telling Stephen A. Smith that Iman Shumpert will not be traded (despite the wisdom of such a move, as columnist Moke Hamilton has argued), there is very little on the Knicks roster that can be considered a movable asset with so many players either on large contracts or nearing the end of their careers.

But one exception is Steve Novak, who led the league in 3-point accuracy last season but has seen his playing time drastically reduced since Amare Stoudemire returned to the rotation a month ago.

Novak makes $4.05 million, which matches up well with Ridnour’s $4 million salary for next season and $4.3 million in 2013-14.

When Felton missed 12 games due to injury in late December and January, Woodson started Jason Kidd at the point rather than Prigioni, who at 35 is the oldest rookie in NBA history.

3. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

I think this makes sense. For a rebound, you would want 2Pat to box out players from the other team while Asik goes for the ball. Its worse to have multiple players from the same team going after the ball, leading to fumbles. If the shorter guy do their job boxing out players from the other team while the taller player goes for the ball, rebounds will be more successful.

4. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Injured.

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Yes, he is clueless... it's not like he knows anything about basketball. Hey, you should coach.

6. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I agree with DD on this although I can not watch the game. McHale did not develop young players very much, that is not good for the team in a long run. Just look at the Spurs, they are always good because of the coach. Of course MaHale could be fired within a year, he is not thinking anything for a long run of this team.

7. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

I can't get over how often he falls over!!!

You can tell he has great skills though, just need more gym work.

8. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

No, McHale is not stupid. Is it stupid to want to make our defense and rebounding worse by playing D-mo? I'm pretty sure more offense isn't what we need.

9. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Agreed.

10. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Why is the consensus that Morris is awful? What the hell have you guys been watching? He has made huge improvements this year, and has made himself a serviceable role player. I just don't get it...

11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

He was being shoved a TON by Odom and Co. Sure he needs to bulk up but he is allowed his spot on the floor... It was annoying to watch.

12. FranchiseReDeux

i agree

13. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Morris probably fits our team better at the 4 with the way our team is currently constructed.

Also, we are tied with OKC as the most points per game so it's not like we are struggling on offense. Difference is OKC allows 97 points and we allow 103.

I'd like to see DMO get some minutes behind Asik. The thing is, in the limited minutes he played, he didn't look good defensively or with his rebounding. I think DMO is a good player and is definitely worthy of cracking the rotation, so IDK, I'm hoping some trade happens that allows DMO and Jones to take on a role with solid minutes. Dwight for Asik, Morris, Delfino, Douglas, Aldrich?

14. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

You would then hurt the trade value of players we could and should move, for the sake of winning what, 2-3 more games? We aren't winning a title this year, develop them behind closed doors, if u were a coach, u would not have many opportunities....

15. grauser01

grauser01 Member

McHale decisions are questionable:

1. Small ball (never works)!

2. 4th quarter benching of Lin! "Lin, be realistic, you can't repeat Linsanity, you are a nice kid, but you can't do this stuffs again. Be realistic and just pass the ball to the next man"

3. Douglas, eye-test -> the better defender

4. 20 minutes for Patterson, even if he plays well. but more than 20 minutes for Morris, even if he plays worse.

5. D-Mo, T-Jones, G.Smith .... he rather lets Aldrich play ...

6. his extreme love for Harden, no accountability for ****ty defense

7. ****ty timeouts

8. let Beverly and Douglas play PG, but order the real PG to stand in the corner

9. his interviews

he is not a good coach, period. This team has so much talent! But the coaches are really untalented (Sampson, McHale ...)

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Congratulations! For a numbered list comment on Clutch, you have the highest number of outright fallacies/suppositions/mistakes in the history of the forum!

What? They don't give awards for things like that? How could they not?

17. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

DD could you jinx Morris for us? :grin:

18. allaroundplayer

I can imagine Patterson and Morris are not drawing any interest from other teams. Morey is understandably reluctant to give them away cheaply as it reflects poorly upon him for drafting first round picks that don't really pan out.

But, if it is necessary to make playing time for younger and better players, you must do it. It is called addition by subtraction. Then Morey will receive compliments for the decision.

I still think Patterson and Morris should have decent value. I thought Portland may want Patterson. But will they do the same thing they did last year and tank the second half of season to get a higher draft pick and therefore not try to improve their team at the deadline?

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

1: You are not the coach (thank god)
    2: You do not know if D-Mo can guard anyone
    3: You do not know if D-Mo can rebound
    4: Morris has not been useless. His line is 8.6/4.1/1 in 21 mpg.

And obviously McHale seems like he is starting to view D-Mo as a net on court asset. So he will probably start getting court time.

20. Karolik

Karolik Member

Montejunas is the definition of soft. Skills like Pau Gasol but even softer.