1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is McHale a championship caliber coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apcgamb24, Jul 21, 2013.

1. gamor

gamor Member

your guys are a joke as bball fan. Any coach who can match up the spur team and spur's playbook is a good coach, period!

2. jocar

jocar Member

Yup. The amount of talent on the team and how well they play accounts for the majority of its outcomes. Unless the coach is purposely trying to throw the game, or refuses to take Manu the eff out.

Anyone with a definitive "yes" or "no" probably answered the question as "do you like Mchale?". Any coach is a championship coach with the right team. Even Del Negro probably gets a couple rings with Miami. Without Pops or Spoelstra, both teams still make the finals imo.

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Let me get this straight. You are saying iso by one of the 10 best players in the NBA is a bad idea. Then hold the presses. We need to inform Kobe and LBJ and Durant and Wade and Carmelo that they strategically suck. Or did I get your take wrong? If I did not then you - as Rome would say - suck.

4. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Look at the Spurs roster and tell me how many players in their prime were drafted in the top 10? top 20? Aside from Duncan, who isn't in his prime, you won't find any,

Heat have several, and veterans like Ray Allen with championship experience to boot.

You're right, Pop IS a great coach. He took a team that would probably be lottery bound in the hands of most other coaches to an NBA finals and 1 epic game 6 collapse from winning the finals. A team that is built from 2nd round picks.

If Pop is coaching the Heat, I don't think they lose to the Mavs and I doubt they get pushed against the wall by either Indiana or Chicago. Spoelstra is underachieving given the roster he has to work with. It's undeniably true.

5. pacmania

pacmania Member

Agree. Spoelstra is a very excellent coach who doesn't seem to get the recognition. The strategies he uses on defense mixing up zone and man to man to cover up for the heat's height deficiencies as well as the offensive schemes are just brilliant.

He learned his lesson on zone defense after Carlisle's Mavs beat him. He used that to frustrate kevin durant and the thunder.

The mark of a good coach is makes the game easier for the players by using them to their strengths. Spoelstra is the only coach who used James on the low post. On the other hand, the mark of a mediocre coach is calling isolation plays like the thunder always do.

6. pacmania

pacmania Member

Lebron also used to be Mr. Choke but under Spoelstra you can hear him among other things telling James " manage your emotions".

Lebron had the tools before but the mental aspect of the game is what changed the most due to good coaching.

7. dantian

dantian Member

McHale, not I, was telling you that iso-Harden sucked in playoffs, though I totally agree with him on that. My gripe with him was his inability to offer a viable alternative, which made his stance rather pale. If you really watch games, you should know that Miami play TEAM ball, not iso ball. Actually, all 4 teams in the conference finals were there because they played team ball. All iso ball teams were eliminated earlier. Iso to an healthy amount is good, iso-Joe, iso-Melo a la Woodson, and iso-Harden as we saw in PO won't get you far if when both Melo and Harden were the currently best iso players in NBA.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Let me get this straight. You want to compare the youngest lineup in the NBA last season (the Rockets) to a 7 year older lineup featuring the best talent by far in the NBA (the Heat) and draw conclusions about the coaches and the best players along the way? Why compare a finished product to one that just began construction? What exactly are the similarities between the Rockets and the Heat or another team say the Spurs? I could go on but that encapsulates one of my major disagreements with your thinking.