1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is McHale a championship caliber coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apcgamb24, Jul 21, 2013.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Doc Rivers wasn't a championship caliber coach until he got Ray Allen and Garnett.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

"Championship caliber" ... I hate that term. Loathe it.

How good was Erik Spoelstra before he was gifted LeBron James and Chris Bosh? Was he a championship caliber coach or was he just another coach who couldn't get out of the first round?

But now, suddenly.. he's "Championship caliber."

3. mclawson

mclawson Member

Paul Westhead won an NBA championship. Anything is possible.

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

A realistic view of the situation. Basically "If it ain't broke why change it" opinion. I will rec you because you are absolutely correct in your analysis. A rare thing on the GARM.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

More importantly, if Lin is traded, will Clutchfans change to whatever team he is affiliated with?

Opinions of Harvard people are so much fun to read!

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Keep telling yourself that. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

7. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

As of right now McHale is not a championship caliber coach. You can't be a championship caliber coach until you actually coach a team to a championship appearance. And you can't eff up in the playoffs and put a injured point guard in the game when Brooks was good and ready to go. Now that I think about it... McHale is a Brooks Only Hater. And it's obvious he has faith in Lin... At least more faith in Lin than he does Brooks.

8. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Of course, not even one post into a thread about McHale and LOFs have derailed it into about Lin.

McHale outside of the delusional few here, is an awesome coach, and did a phenomenal job last year with the rockets, he can most definitely coach us to a championship.

9. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

I agree. I guess the term "championship caliber" is pretty ambiguous. I guess I should just ask can he lead us to a championship? Rivers did it once, Spolstera did it twice. Can McHale?

10. platypus

platypus Member

Why did you feel the need to post this? You harp on annoying Lin fans yet you are just as annoying as them.

Now moving to the topic. I don't think it is a big deal that McHale is not necessarily a Popovich level X's and O's coach. Today's nba is a player dominant league and coaches can win by simply having better players than the other team.

Look at Spolestra, while he is an adequate coach the only reason he has two rings is because of the big three. Sure he played a huge part but it's nowhere near the impact a Lebron has.

Going back to our own rockets, Rudy T, he was considered a Player's coach more than a Strategic one. Heck I still remember the game vs the Magic in 1995 (i think) where down the stretch he posted up some scrub PF (i can't remember his name) FOUR times in a row vs. shaq. All while Hakeem was standing on the perimeter. The same coach that helped us win back to back had his lapses in judgement. And i fully expect Mchale to have them as well.

11. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

? If you want to extrapolate and assume what I am thinking then go ahead.

Those poor rotations were not just a qualm of mine, but to many people on this board (See McFail memes). And I didn't mean it exclusively to Lin, but to the whole team, notably the front line.

And of course if you don't run plays then you have to settle for ISOs. But I wasn't just talking about Harden ISOs. There were many times when Lin and Parsons would iso and we would just get terrible possessions. But obviously if I want anyone on the team to ISO it'd be Harden.

Oh, and I like how you completely ignored all the positive things I had to say about Mchale

12. don grahamleone

Was that Pete Chilibowlcut or Chucky Brown?

13. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

And how many rings did LeBron have before he got with Spoelstra...? And Bosh was garbage in the playoffs and Wade was on one leg. I understand LeBron is the best player on the planet but Spoelstra did an excellent coaching job...

14. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

I really think when we hired Mchale, he was more of a rebuilding coach. Good guy to manage a young team but now...

we have a chance to do something very special. if a few things fall our way, we have a chance to be a dynasty. think spurs.. think lakers.. think bulls.. think pistons...

not saying mchale CANT do it BUT there are MANY others who have a better chance of taking us to teh promise land as they have MORE EXPERIENCE.

our window is small (6 years) so why take a chance on someone who has never done it before

15. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Either McHale is a bad coach, or he's an average who is handcuffed from having to follow Morey's directions to the T.
    I'm thinking the latter, Morey hired him to be a Yes-Man puppet. Anytime they ask McHale a tough question in an interview, he just defers to Morey... "Ask Morey."

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I realize it may be considered blasphemy... but I think McHale is as championship coach material as Rudy T.... I don't think either is a great x's and o's guy, nor are either innovative or exceptional... but I think both manage personnel well (ie egos) and with the right squad of players who 'buy in'.... they can get the job done...

17. platypus

platypus Member

I don't even remember lol. All i know is that he scored on shaq three times and then traveled on the fourth posession like an idiot.

Then Rudy decided to post Hakeem and guess what, he was cold so he ended up missing a shot in a crucial possession. :eek:

18. don grahamleone

He's won a lot of games with two completely different rosters and players that don't fit his expertise(post play). Last year the roster didn't get along, they had no star on the team and still had a winning season. This year he's working with a completely new and young roster and he makes the playoffs. They were one win away from being the 6th seed. I'd say he knows what he's doing.

Especially in handling Lin. Lin is fun to watch, he's crazy fast, but the team plays better when he goes to the bench. He's inconsistent, young, turnover prone and he's playing the toughest position on the court. I hope he improves, but if Lin goes to the bench because McHale senses Lin is losing composure and making mistakes, this makes him a great coach. You don't leave your guys out there when they're struggling.

Lin played 67% of his minutes. That's pretty good for a very very young PG who hasn't played a full season.

If you want to complain about McHale, his weakness is obviously calling offensive plays in crunch time. He's a player's coach, the team likes him, buys into the system, works well with our media driven league, refs seem to like him and he's going to get better with time. I'd say that is a pretty high caliber.

19. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Only realistic answer, we shall see........

20. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

after the success of last season, everybody gets a pass, including mchale...if the next season is a disaster, then we can talk about this, but we can't make any assumptions on mchale's ability to coach this team as of right now...simply put adding dwight changes everything so everyone should get a clean slate

to address your specific concerns regarding rotations and play-calling, mchale relied too much on harden last year, but having dwight eases harden's burden both by improving the overall defense and by adding his 15-20 PPG...i expect to see harden's minutes go down and his overall health to improve...it's also a lot easier to draw up plays and execute them when you have a low-post threat...my questions is how the coaching staff will handle the hack-a-howard...but have to just wait and see