1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Matt Shaub Elite?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by babyface44, Sep 16, 2013.

1. babyface44

babyface44 Member

Let me first say, Im a die hard Texans fan. However, I would say he's not. If you just look at his stats without actually watching the game, you would think he went off. I get frustrated with him only looking for the running back to pass to or AJ80 on short cross routes. We have "weapons," why aren't we using them? I know some are going to say, "He passed to Hopkins in the fourth blah blah blah..." But he only looks beyond 10 yard passes when we are down and in need of a comeback win. We can't do that all year. Neither can we put the game on the defense's backs the enitre game waiting on Schaub. All a defense has to do is blitz and he is going to ***** himself and heave the ball to Foster on the sidelines for a 4 yard pass. If all opposing teams catch on and blitz, we are in big trouble.

Let the hate begin in 5...4...3...2...

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Interesting. What do you think of his arm strength and mobility?

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Not this thread again.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Schaub is top 10 but not top 5. Near elite but not elite.

5. Raven

Raven Member

We'll know in five months, maybe sooner, maybe by the middle of October.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The idea that he only looks for quick dumpoffs is a joke.

He does have to run the offense that is called. Kubiak's system is not a downfield attack system and it never has been, nor was it in Denver when he ran it with Shanny. It's a move the ball system.

As for whether he is elite, if he wins a Superbowl it means he's always been Elite. If he doesn't it means he could never perform in big games.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

Word is thrown around too much. Last week people were calling kap a superstar, this week....

8. BleedsRocketRed

Isnt there already like a 100 page thread on this very subject already???

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Guys, do you think we should have drafted Vince Young instead of Mario Williams?

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Funny, was thinking about how Mario quietly got 10 sacks last year and is leading the league so far this year. As a Longhorn, I was happy the Texans drafted Mario. I was afraid the Texans were going to draft Bush. Bush has had a better career than I expected, but I still prefer Mario.

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

ah man, i thought you were gonna quote one of Matt Thomas' callers.

i can hear his voice now. "Guys, we've got to get Vince Young." I think this was after VY was cut by Eagles.:grin:

12. conquistador#11

fantasy dorks hate to listen to playoffs logic, but I constructed my "elite list" I title it...

"the elite list for fantasy dorks who are to lazy to research actual team success"

1. Peyton Manning. 3tds and 7 ints during superbowl run. Single handed, placed his troops in position to get slaughtered in 3 of those games. It took him six tries after becoming elite to reach superbowl.

2. Tom Brady. Plays like shieet against good defensive lines. Won his superbowls when the Defense was the center of attraction.

3. Aaron Rodgers. When he won his ring his numbers would be considered 'game managing' by the local experts, barely 4,000 yards and less than 29 tds. He doesn't win the wild card without starks running for 125 yards and his defense turning over the eagles twice. In the NFC championship, he gave the game away only for BJ and company to embarrass the bears offense.

4. Brees, without that opportunistic D, he has been one and done if he even makes the playoffs.

5. Big ben without that D and running game, well you see what has become of him.

the top 4 qbs have a whopping 2 rings in the last 7 seasons.

So when a local radio expert tells you the texans can't win a superbowl because of schaub'snoodle arm not throwing the ball over 5 yards, or because he is a "game manager", basically rehashing what is said on the internets because they're too lazy to get in depth, you remind them.. football was and will always be a TEAM game.

You want to win your fantasy leagues, go with the top 3 always. But if you want a superbowl, you better hope that the defense and special teams show up for 3 games in the playoffs.

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

14. macalu

matt schaub isn't elite because he's not clutch and can't win from behind. oh wait...

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We'll see these next 3 games

16. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Right, because the last 2 games didn't count!

17. Precision340

Precision340 Member

I think a lot of people feel the same way you do. I've been Schaub's supporter for the longest but he's shown that he can't win against the really good teams. Seattle's defense is going to gobble him up in the next couple of weeks.. he better be ready.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't know why we didn't get Julius Peppers. ARGHHHH!!!!!! :mad: Makes me mad.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The only ELITE quarterbacks are Manning, Rogers, Brady, Brees

20. macalu

the texans can win the next 3. matt schaub still won't get credit unless he does it in the playoffs. i think Hey Now refers to that as "moving the target."