1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Martin over-doing it?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Prince, Jan 16, 2011.

?

Is Martin over-doing it?

1. Yes

101 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. No

138 vote(s)
    57.7%
  1. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I love the way he plays. Defenders have to play him tight because he can drain the 3, so to counter he gets them in the air with his quick first step and draws the foul. He shoots FT's at a 90%+ clip, and gets the other team in foul trouble.

I voted no & am surprised how many yes votes there are.

2. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Kevin Martin has a very quick first step, and uses it quite often. You haven't sold me on your idea that he can't beat his man off the dribble, as I watch him do it at least once every game.

Secondly, just saying that he has a net zero impact on the floor doesn't make it true. He actually has an adjusted +/- of 5.13 so far this season. I know that doesn't tell the whole story (no stat does), but when he's on the floor, we score 2.18 MORE points than our opponents. When he's not on the floor we score 2.96 FEWER points than our opponents.

The stats disagree with you.

Really, I kinda wish you would stop calling any of our players fool's gold or any other derogatory name. It's disrespectful and makes other fans feel bad. You can have an opinion and discuss it. But calling him names is an attack, not an open discussion.

3. delta69er

delta69er Member

Martins style of play makes him an ideal second scoring option, a guy who would put up bunches of points quietly, kinda like the way Shawn Marion was in his early years in phoenix, when he was a 20 ppg guy but never took over games. Thus as I've said befor on other threads Martin would be a great piece on your team if and onlyif he was ur second scoring optionand not your first

4. University Blue

QFT -- Since when has drawing fouls been a problem in this league? McHale, Bird, Mullin, the Showtime Lakers, Jordan, Thomas, Dumars benefited from drawing fouls.

I remember how frustrated I was watching smart players draw fouls. It's nice to have one of those players on the Rockets.

5. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

I don't think it is a horrible thing to do because you need those kinds of calls to score some easy points when your shots in the field aren't falling. I think it is necessary because it helps your team get some easy points. Also, it gets the opposing team's players into foul trouble and more likely to get them to sit on the bench, which is very helpful when it is a scoring threat. Besides, it's not like Martin's trying to deceive the refs' eyes, he knows what will get the refs to make a call in his favor because it is written somewhere. Martin is not the only one that does it every game, any veteran knows what will get him easy points for his team.
    What Martin does is like when players sacrifice their bodies to take a charge under the rim. A lot of people would rather have them take the hit while trying to block the shot. However, when you as a player know that you cannot block him, you resort to some other method to stop the opponent.
    However, the one and only reason why I wouldn't want him to do it is that it would get him injured. Losing a scoring threat for the Rockets is no bueno!

6. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I have voiced my displeasure regarding this subject beofre. Personally I feel that it is some what of a pu$$y type move.

7. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Professional basketball, not a pickup game. It doesn't matter if you feel it's a 'pu$$y type move', it helps the team win.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Can't blame the players - blame the refs.

9. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

Its and advantage for us to even put one of are opponents to foul trouble or esay free throw baskets.

10. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

if it gets physical during playoff, marting would fly to the stands each time they bump him.

11. mi0304

mi0304 Member

Mehmet Okur, Deron Williams, Andre Kirilenko.....
    We must be something different from j*zz.

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

that one shot last night that he threw up from 3 pt land looking for the call was rediculous.

13. Prince

Prince Member

Martin is a lot differnet than those guys.

14. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

yes you can blame the players because some nights it looks like they aren't even trying out there.

15. Prince

Prince Member

Last time I checked they're number 11 in the west. Not helping....

16. jae713

jae713 Member

Why would he stop doing it, it works. As long as he puts points up on the board I don't care how he gets them. You don't get more points for playing a certain way. What worries me more is Lowry flying into the lane out of control and throwing up terrible lay up attempts.

17. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

kevin martin being a poor man's rudy gay? kevin martin is more like a very extremely poor man's, recession filled version of reggie miller without the clutch shooting, basketball IQ, defense, nor overall talent. reggie miller was really not known for his defense either, but he sure as hell gave opposing shooting guards fits to be a spot up 3 point shooter. anybody can can score a basket on kevin martin including me. im not too much of a courtney lee fan either, but at least he can defend, and he at least tries to drive to the basket.

18. PeppermintCandy

Yes, Martin takes advantage of getting to the line, but he is still a great offensive threat even when the calls aren't going his way.

This season, Martin is averaging 8.4 free throw attempts and 22.4 points per game. But even in games that he's gotten 7 or fewer FTAs, he still averages a solid 18.4 points.

When he's had 5 or 6 FTAs a game (which would be only like 3 fouls), he's been averaging 21 points per game.

The guy doesn't just rely on the refs. He's just a good and efficient scorer.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

That's right. Martin has proven he's the best offensive player we have and the guy that we want as our #1 option until there is a trade made for someone better.

20. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

If he gets those calls in the regular season he should in the playoffs. He probably won't get as many though.