1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Kawhi Leonard a top 10 NBA player?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheresTheDagger, Apr 6, 2015.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Now that you've set that tone, please go ahead and share facts with us that support your case. I'm interested in learning more about Kawhi Leonard.

2. Fefo

Fefo Member

Where did u got that idea? Since his ussage has gone up he is averaging 19.6 pts on 56% shooting ,and 39% on 3s.

The spurs didnt extended him because of a strategy with cap, not because they dont think is worth it, they will match anything and give him the max this summer, mark my words.

I dont think he is a top 10 right now, but top 15 yes, and he can be a top 10. His offense is coming together, yesterday he got only 26 points... on 24 mins. The spurs dont need him to score 35 a night, but i think this year in the playoffs he would break his playoff carreer hight wich is 29 pts in the finals against lebron.

3. anchel

anchel Member

Is he better than Hayward?

4. Space City

Space City Member

I don't see people mentioning Paul George, Blake Griffin, DeMarcus Cousins, or Dirk, but I would say the first two are definitely better than Kawhi right now (PG's health permitting) and the others may still be better too.

I think the problem may be that it's difficult for anyone to shine in the system Pop is running right now, so it's difficult to estimate Kawhi's impact.

One question I've been wondering all season: Would Morey have matched a Chandler Parsons type contract if Kawhi Leonard was the player in question?

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2015/04/06/kawhi-leonard-blows-up/#29527101=0

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

^^ Sounds like the rich man's Trevor Ariza.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

So basically Paul George

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

First, I've watched 90% of Spurs game this year. To see him grow over the course of this season has been magnificent. It was rocky at first, terrible at some points, but he has officially learned how to be comfortable with his game.

He's having more and more games like this:

http://www.poundingtherock.com/vide...-leonard-score-15-straight-4th-quarter-points

That's 15 points in the first eight minutes... and right after, Pop benches him for a while because of the big lead. He was hot, and unlike most teams with superstars, you keep feeding your star while he's hot. But the Spurs don't. This is why I scoff when people say he's good because of the Spurs system. It's the exact opposite. Pop actually holds him back and Kawhi lets him because he is unselfish.

Think of it this way - he's the Duncan of this generation. Duncan's numbers in his prime weren't eye popping like Shaq's, but he was a total game changer. Same with Kawhi.

The Spurs leader right NOW is Kawhi. They feed him more than the other guys. Everything goes through him. He wrecks it on defense and gets on the fast break and changes the momentum of the game just like that.

More articles:
    http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/3/23/8275237/kawhi-leonard-lebron-james-atlanta-hawks
    http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/3/30/8310167/new-age-spurs-basketball-kawhi-parker-splitter

Of course, these articles won't give just how dominant Leonard has been. You just have to see it to believe it. And you will see it soon on the back to back if he plays both games. He has been a total monster on defense, and his offense is most improved too. He's even making Ginobili passes now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWQ5pDQ1wOM

Again, you have to see it to believe it.

1 person likes this.
  9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Can I trust him to get me a bucket?

No.

No.

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

He is miles better than Trevor Ariza, and their games don't even resemble each other. You guys will eat your words. And I won't feel bad when Kawhi destroys us during the playoffs.

Paul George has a totally different game too.

11. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Yeah, because we all know that a guy's best 20 game stretch defines his career.

12. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Kawhi is better than Parker and Klay for sure. He's not top 10, but he's probably top 15.

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

There's a difference between a hot streak and a player actually "getting it". Kawhi's one of the hardest workers in the league, so he's the latter.

14. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Okay, buddy :rolleyes:

15. JazzLakerHater

I'm still not sold on his offensive game, but he's without question the best defensive player in the NBA.

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

You probably shouldn't use the word "us" if you are not a Rockets fan.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

In my opinion yes.

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Top 10 players bring are generally superstars.. He's no superstar....

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

he has a case for it, without question? nah, there's maybe 6 or 7 guys who are "without question", might be next year though

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Mook Morris is better though

I puke a little everytime I think that we could have had Kawhi and Harden on the wings for years. Perfect complement to each other