1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Karla a choker in the play-offs?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by theWIGMAN, Apr 18, 2004.

1. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

After his dismal shooting in game 1, I took a look at some of the Mailman's play-off deliveries. His career shooting percentage has dropped dramatically in the post-season (from .516 in the regular season down to .463). I expect most players' shooting percentages to drop some due to intense play-off defense, but Malone is a pretty extreme case. No wonder Utah never won a championship with the Mailman.

2. DaDa

DaDa Contributing Member

No? Just so stupid to base everything on one game.

Karl Malone post season average:

94 games
    24 ppg
    14 rpg

3. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

No, Karl is hurt, he is playing hurt. In the Finals against the Bulls Karl brought it. As much as I dislike him I have to give him credit. If Karl wasn't hurt, those oustide jumpers he was shooting last night would have fell. The years of Malone-Stockton beating the Rox in the playoffs should let you know Karl is a legit threat when healthy.

4. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

:::knocking on wood:::

::::pulling out rabbits foot::::

::::rubbing horshoe:::

:::going outside to pick 4 leaf clover::::

Please dont put me and the rest of the board in the precarious position of trying to "unjinx" your stupid comments

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This is an incredibly stupid post. Malone was playing on one leg last night. You should be down on your knees THANKING God that he cannot move out there on the court. If he were healthy, he'd be smoking our PFs on the grill for dinner. Hint: This works out to our advantage...

6. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

This post was not based on one game ... those shooting percentages are CAREER regular season (.516) vs CAREER play-off shooting percentages (.463).

7. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

.... and the guy has NEVER had serious injuries until this season. You can explain one bad play-off shooting performance due to injury, but how do explain a CAREER'S worth of sub-standard performance in the post-season.

8. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

Wow...i think i gotta stop watching basketball now... I told myself teh day someone shoots over 46.2 percent in the playoffs and is considered a choker, Id quit watching this game.

:mad:

9. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

46% is nice for most players. But for a so-called "Great" player who normally shoots .516 during the regular season, it's clearly not. The drop is quite significant for a guy who's supposed to carry the team - he obviously ain't doing what he is normally able to do and has been taken off his game in the play-offs. If you look at the other "great" players currently active, you don't see that big a difference between career regular season vs career play-off shooting accuracy. Tim duncan in particular shows barely any difference at all (.509 to .505).

10. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

It is a sad day when a guy on this board can't start a Malone bashing thread without getting bashed himself.

11. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

No, kiddin'. Where the hell did these Jazzholes come from?

12. munco

munco Member

i can't believe i'm defending karla but i think fg% drops across the board for guys in the playoffs. defense is stepped up a few levels and it's a hack fest. choking is shooting less than 40%. 46% is still good althought below his regular season avg.

13. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

In general, fg% does fall slightly for most great players, but Malone's drop is extreme. It's nearly 5 percentage points off his regular season average - I can't find any "great player" with that big a difference between regular vs post season. Basically, he's shooting like the greatest power forward of all time in the regular season, but in the play-offs, he's shooting like a guard. Which is not the game he's supposed to be playing. People say Webber is a play-off choker for playing a perimeter game instead of banging in the low post. Well, the same standard should be applied to the Mailman. Both of them are franchise-level power forwards who have been unable to carry their teams to win the championship because they end up playing the perimeter game in the play-offs. Tim Duncan (another franchise-level PF), on the contrary, has maintained his shooting % in the play-offs and has won championships doing so.

By the way, Hakeem Olajuwon, one of the greatest play-off performers of all time (and one of Karla's contemporaries) actually RAISED his field goal percentage in the play-offs and also won championships.

14. DaDa

DaDa Contributing Member

Nevermind everything else, but you can't argue against his actual post season stats. Please lock this stupid thread.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's not based on just one game. You guys have some short memories

Remember Game 1 of the 97 NBA Finals?

Karl Malone, on the FT line, tie game with 7.5 seconds left in the 4th Period, Scottie Pippen says to him "The mailman doesn't deliver on Sundays"

Result: clang! clang! Jordan hits the gamewinner at the buzzer.

16. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

Chokers do not lead their team to the Finals 2 years in a row.

17. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

That's why he's called The Failman.

18. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

His post-season stats include 0 championship rings. Of course, that's easy for a Jazzhole to "nevermind".... Painful isn't it? Please keep this thread open ... love to see the jazzholes squirm.

19. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

Or maybe the MEOW-man ... ;)

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That year in first finals against the Bulls, Barkley tripped Karla in the series before that left a large gash in one of his palms. So poor Karl couldn't make any shots including those 2 free throws that could've sealed game one.

Karma's a b**** Karl Malone.